4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:49 pm 
Some call me a god

Awesome, you did a really nice job with the colt. Thanks for the video, I needed some motivation to get my swap finished up. It looks like it really hauls some ass, traction must be nice!

On a side note, your car is heavier then I would want to see.... I hope my car doesn't weigh that much when it's done or a big point of swapping to awd is gone for me. Your car was a base model or GT?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:55 pm 
Some call me a god

I weighed the car before with about 4 gallons more gas in it, and it weighed 2680 without the jack or tire, so it really isn't that much heavier. It started life as a base model, but I've changed everything that's different between a GT and a base Colt anyway; Sway bar, brakes, seats, P/S, A/C, hydro clutch, criuse, wiring, etc. The only parts that weren't identical to a GT (besides exterior body trim) were the interior door panels.

The things that weren't in the car for the second weigh in are the GMC Safari headliner console with a rear seat monitor built in (permanently removed), and my Lanzar 300 watt amplified 8" bass tube (It's like carpeted cardboard and very light). Oh, but there was an extra set of speakers in the trunk with the spare tire and laptop. No jack or crowbar.

My car has every option besides power windows and rear defrost. It even has 2.5 lbs of R134A :lol: .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:36 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Not to jack the tread but my car weighed in at 2340 with an empty tank. All the interior and all the normal shit tacked on. It has a 4g63NA manual transmission.

Really nice build love the AWD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Does anyone know what the weight of a GT is supposed to be originally? I can't believe my car was really 300 pounds overweight just from .4 more liters, a FMIC, a roof console and some 16" wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm 

A portion of it is the GT stuff but I would bet almost 200lbs of that is the larger tranny, drive shaft, rear end and sub-frame. Just be happy you can put that power to the ground. Its worth the extra weight :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm 
Some call me a god

I don't think you understand, my car weighed 2680 with FWD. Yeah it was with a W5m33 with a spool in the center diff, but now (at 2800) my car is like 500 pounds more than yours with "all the normal stuff tacked on"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:10 pm 
Some call me a god

The base models were said to be between 2100-2200, GT's were around 2500. I'm hoping mine will be around 2500-2600 without me when I'm done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:06 am 
Some call me a god

I wanna say my AWD hatch was 2550 with me and half tank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:36 am 
Some call me a god

Wow, I'm fat, but I don't care, I'm happy. That does make more sense though. 2500 to 2680 with gas, big wheels, and a computer isn't such a stretch. I should check the weight difference between my factory 14" alloys, and my Pep boys brand 16" wheels. The AWD increase from 2680 to 2800 is less than I expected, but the fact that most of that weight spins is really going to tap some power.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm 
CSM Expert

Awsome job on the swap, made me stop in my tracks and re-evaluate mine. I'm upset the guy I trusted with my car cut a giant hole insted of a small peice out of my driveshaft tunnel. I like the use of the oem DSM parts. Looks like it belongs there. I'm surprise you did'nt just swap the gas filler to the other side (some body work).

AGAIN AWSOME JOB!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:52 pm 

What did you end up doing with the gas tank fill tubes? In one picture I see they are facing the wrong direction and later its covered with exhaust. What tank is that? Did you just make new mounting holes for it.

The one reason I would not accept AWD as a solution was the tank relocation but your version seems really well placed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks, I'm glad you guys like it. I kinda wish the filler was on the other side too because if my tank springs a leak it's major work again, but the inner wheelwells are different so swapping to the other side seemed like way too much work.

It holds though; first time I opened the cap to fill up at Sunoco, the rush of air was massive.

It's a 1g AWD DSM tank. I welded a soft plug over the original filler, and welded a piece of pipe (OEM DSM UICP) into the other side of the tank. For the vent tube I ran an old transmission dipstick tube across in front of the tank. Once everything was on the right side, it was easy to modify the filler, and connect it to the tank with a couple 6" long hoses. Then I made a heat shield for between the muffler and filler tubes. And yeah I agree, the idea of installing a fuel cell didn't appeal to me either. I didn't want it to look like a racecar; racing is just a secondary duty for this car.

You can see it a little bit here:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:00 pm 

Sweet exhaust!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:23 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Sweet exhaust!
Yeah I don't F around LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 am 
CSM Expert

Compare this pic Image

With the picture of my setup.

How do you have so much space between the crossmember and the transmission? Maybe it's just an illusion since yours is more zoomed in.

If I go any higher with my transmission / engine then the transmission hits the frame rail.

Crank bolt hole lines up

Engine is level

Trans does not line up with the 1.5L roll mount

I think I just need to cut and reweld the transmission roll portion. I am almost 100% certain that the engine is in the correct orientation. Everything looks true, axle boots are straight, transfer case is almost perfectly parallel with the crossmember..

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next