4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:05 am 
Some call me a god

I figured out what the magenta haze in my pictures was. I was using a 4 second shutter time, and the glare from the lights in the ceiling was effecting the exposure.

I pulled the rear hubs and put some Galant Vr4 rear hubs in.
The DSM rear calipers were pretty much to identical to the 89 Summit sedan rear calipers I had been using. The main difference is the angle the brake hose goes into the caliper.
The rotors were identical dimensions aside from the fact one was 4 lug and the other was 5. The caliper bracket is the same casting.
I need to make a quiet 3" exhaust to fit into the spaces shown below.
Here's how the car sits now that it's on matching wheels again, with brakes, and everythng but interior, exhaust, and fuel.
It's beginning to look like the dimensions of the DSM suspension require a softer spring on a Colt. These were some saggy old Colt springs before, and now the suspension only compresses about two inches or less when I place the weight of the car on it. The different design of the trailing arm appears to offer the spring more leverage in this configuration. I'll return to this problem when I have it completely together, and 10 or 15 gallons of gas in the tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:20 pm 
Some call me a god

Looking great, I bet your itching to get this thing all buttoned up and for a test drive!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Looking great, I bet your itching to get this thing all buttoned up and for a test drive!

Yeah, but not with all the slush and salt that's on the road out there. I'm probably going to end up moving right to the paint job before I get to the test drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm 
Some call me a god

Ya I hear you there, NY seems to have stock in salt with the amount of it they use! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 am 
Some call me a god

I did a little more work to the car. Awhile back the inside got painted black, and the interior is back in the car. I ditched the old roof console thing and replaced the headliner with a stock piece.

Recently I finished the filler tube, and tossed five gallons of gas and an exhaust system in it.

I can't complain about the ride height, now that the car is assembled again.

I just have a couple gauges I need to toss back in it before I pressurize the fuel system and fire it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:12 am 

Long time bro!!! sorry as i've been compeltely out of the scene due to office work and travelling.

nice stuff..... loved ur exhust and what you did to make it quiter, mine is so loud (i hate it). I'm also doing some major upgrades these days and will update you on ur email :)

BEST OF LUCK.... i'm eagerly looking forward to a test drive video and results :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:19 am 
CSM Junkie

I can't believe how nice it looks and looks like it was awd from stock,lol. Keep up the good work :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am 

Awesome work as usual! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 pm 
Some call me a god

No joke man...you are doing a great job on this project!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:10 am 
Some call me a god

I drove the car for the first time today. It started barely, and I'm not sure yet if it's my crappy Miata battery, my starter, just a bad cable, or all of the above.

I didn't have any brakes because they need to be bled, but that doesn't matter because all I need to do to stop is turn the wheel. The spool in place of my center diff takes care of the rest. I think I can get used to that part though. Here's a video; you can hear the back tires hopping when I turn the car around outside.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Looks good! One off the fastest completed awd swaps on here I think. And what side skirts are you running?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:29 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks for the comments, I'll try to get a a good test drive video on here to complete the thread. Aaron, those are Geo Storm Tsi side skirts. I had to trim them around the back of the doors and bondo to make them fit, but they've held up for at least 6-7 years now.

All I had time to do today was change the oil, bleed the rear brakes, and fix a gas leak that sprung from my sending unit due to stupidity and poor soldering. I did get a chance to take a quick ride up and down the street, but I didn't get into it much, and I had the boost switch set on low.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 pm 
Some call me a god

I felt like a voyeur watching that. :P I've relocated the battery to the back of my car, running a heavy gauge wire to the engine bay, and even with a brand new starter I have problems like that.....but not every time I start it. Gonna run a huge power wire to the starter someday soon, and I'm pretty sure that will solve it. I'll have the clicks too until then. I see so many guys on here with that problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I felt like a voyeur watching that. :P I've relocated the battery to the back of my car, running a heavy gauge wire to the engine bay, and even with a brand new starter I have problems like that.....but not every time I start it. Gonna run a huge power wire to the starter someday soon, and I'm pretty sure that will solve it. I'll have the clicks too until then. I see so many guys on here with that problem.
My buddy had the same problem with his 4g63t swap hyundai excel, he fixed it by putting a ford starter solenoid and it never happened again,lol. His battery is also located in the back, I see a pattern now about the same thing,lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 pm 
Some call me a god

I solved that problem I think. I replaced the battery for free today (thanks interstate) and it's been starting on the first try. I have a .13 amp drain from my touchscreen, so I have to remove the fuse when I park for more than a few hours.

My original base model Colt springs have been binding and making poping noises for some time now, and the car (with a full tank) looked even lower in the back than the front. Nothing drove that fact home like my discovery today; I noticed that when I launch, my trailing arms lay flat up against my framerails, and my upper control arms were bumping the rails too. I installed the donated rear springs from "John's Golden Eclipse" and the rear is so much stiffer it's like a whole different car. People told me the car was rearing up like a horse when I launched. All the way down in the back, all the way up in the front, then just gone. LOL

In other completely unrelated news, here's a random video of someone I don't know driving a car somewhere.

Ps. I weighed the car today with about 3.5-4 gallons of gas in it, a spare tire, laptop, and no jack. . The scale said 2820lbs.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next