4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Too bad that you don't live near me, because I would have sent my elantra to you, :wink:
Yeah, I would do this for someone else for $5000 labor :yawinkle:

I set up an old tent in my shop, and sandblasted that rear crossmember inside it. I was wearing a full face gas mask, and coveralls, with a hooded ski jacket, and I still got black crap in my nostrils.

It's welded in now, the interior is stripped, and the car is rolling again, so I took a little break from it for the last few days. So far (unless something else pops up) it looks like I get to work on it all day today. I'll try to post my progress later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:02 am 
Some call me a god

Here's more:
I know, my welds are ugly. I practice and practice, but all I get are ugly welds.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:47 am 
2nd Banana

I'm diggin' your Star Trek style font on these pics. Haha.

Looks like you're doing some nice work there, this should come out really well. I'm eager to see it in action.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:33 am 
Some call me a god

I'm digging the font too! It's part of the photobucket editing options. It gave me an idea:

Now if I can just fit my decklid into my inkjet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:21 pm 
Some call me a god

I haven't done much in the last few days, but I got the DSM tank in:
The tank seems to fit almost perfectly. I leaves lots of room for my right side exit exhaust, and I think it's going to fit under the DSM floor section I cut out.

The thing that really sucks is what I'm going to have to to fill it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:45 pm 
Some call me a god

WOW, your doing an awesome job. Don't be surprised if I come to you when I decide to do AWD. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:33 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
WOW, your doing an awesome job. Don't be surprised if I come to you when I decide to do AWD. :wink:

Too late I already said that,lol. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:27 pm 
Some call me a god

The length of the fuel filler may be a problem. If the hose is too long with too many bends it will slow down the filling progress and make the nozzle trip sooner. I think Jason was having this problem with his second awd swap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
The length of the fuel filler may be a problem. If the hose is too long with too many bends it will slow down the filling progress and make the nozzle trip sooner. I think Jason was having this problem with his second awd swap.
Thanks for the heads up; I was a little concerned about that actually. I plan to run a single piece of mandrel bent steel pipe the whole way exept for the 90 degree DSM rubber elbow that goes onto the tank, and I'll make sure there's a continuous downward slope. If that doesn't work, then it's back to the drawing board.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 am 
Some call me a god

I think he ended up changing something on it to make it work better. If you search for his name (lilevo) you might find the post, I think it was about 1.5 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 am 
Some call me a god

ah here it is http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=21221
Ended up his vent line was plugged up, but works fine after that. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Oh... Doesn't matter much now. I ended up welding a piece of an upper IC pipe from a 1g BOV pipe into the other side of the tank, and I brazed an expansion plug over the original filler inlet.

I don't reccomend it. First I tried to braze the new filler in,but I got stress cracks around the hole that leaked. Then I tried solder, but that wouldn't stick to all the braze. Then I ripped the thing back out, signifigantly enlarging the hole. I ground off most of the braze, and stuck it back into the cracked and battered hole, and started filling the gap with mig wire.

Five hours and three pounds of wire later it was holding water F~*&%#!?@CK!
I would post a picture but it's downright embarassing.

I got home and got 2 hours of sleep before I had to get up to feed/entertain my daughter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:19 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Oh... Doesn't matter much now. I ended up welding a piece of an upper IC pipe from a 1g BOV pipe into the other side of the tank, and I brazed an expansion plug over the original filler inlet.

I don't reccomend it. First I tried to braze the new filler in,but I got stress cracks around the hole that leaked. Then I tried solder, but that wouldn't stick to all the braze. Then I ripped the thing back out, signifigantly enlarging the hole. I ground off most of the braze, and stuck it back into the cracked and battered hole, and started filling the gap with mig wire.

Five hours and three pounds of wire later it was holding water F~*&%#!?@CK!
I would post a picture but it's downright embarassing.

I got home and got 2 hours of sleep before I had to get up to feed/entertain my daughter.

Brazing is not easy to do, I know I tried and now I'm learning how to do it with the welder at work, but I still suck though,lol.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Brazing is not easy to do, I know I tried and now I'm learning how to do it with the welder at work, but I still suck though,lol.

I was good at it 23 years ago. I made a toolbox in Boces autobody class that was waterproof, and it only took a few minutes.

I was trying to braze with a cutting tip, which may have been about half of my problem :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:26 am 

Just logged in after quite some and and was shocked to see your AWD progress here........... great work!! would love to see u pulling some nice times once its completed :)
waiting for more pics :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next