4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have been looking into the transmission i just acquired, it's an evo 1-2 trans. Apparently It's geared to run a 3.909 rear diff whereas the dsm tranny is designed to run 3.545. What would be the easiest way to make this work? Tracking down an evo rear diff probably isn't worth it.. Are evo 1 trannies even a step up from the dsm ones? I might try it out, see what it's like. Just run bigger tires on the front than the back. The vcd is going to be destroyed for sure, so i was thinking if i'm going to be in there anyways swapping some gears is no big deal.

Last edited by pimpy rider on Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm 
Some call me a god

You could just sell me it. ;)

Get a Ring and pinon out of a 5spd DSM trans, and swap them out. I think it took me like an hour or so to do. I had this issue a few years back, except i had no clue it was a EVO I trans untill i welded the center diff. I called shep, and thats what he told me to do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:02 am 
CSM Junkie

the vcd is still good (i think) Maybe they can take more slippage than people let on. I just so happen to have an extra box of parts in my garage, and the front diff is all there. But i wonder if i even need to. I might just run it this way, see how long before the vcd takes a crap. I'll probably break the tranny first anyways.
BTW= thanks red sleeper I will most likely do what you said anyways. I just don't want to open this one up. After i rebuilt my last transmission i've been breaking shift forks like crazy, so i have been looking for an alternative.
ps- I got this tranny for 200 bucks. The guy who sold it said it was jdm from a 2nd gen car with the better synchros. I just assumed i was buying another crap 92 dsm tranny. Then i looked up the numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:46 pm 
Some call me a god

You pulling the trans apart should not have anything to do with breaking forks, But your clutch being mis-adjusted will. Or you drive like i do. haha

I would do the swap honestly. before i realized i had the EVO I trans, If i launched it, just the fronts would blow up. I couldnt cut better then a 1.9 60'

If you need a US ring and pinon, i have 3-4 laying around. If you wanna sell me that trans. I'd also be up for that ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have an extra ring and pinion too. But if for some reason it doesn't work i might have to take you up on that offer. Yeah both forks i broke were at the track. It's from trying to shave that extra 10th of a second off my times.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:12 pm 
Some call me a god

What is your extra ring and pinion out of?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:35 am 
CSM Junkie

The extra ring and pinion i have are out of a 92 talon tsi. Same as the tranny that's in the colt. Is there any way to check the vcd if it's any good? I have two extras it would be easy enough to swap it out while i'm in there. I doubt the last owner of this tranny would have thought of that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well i took apart the tranny today. Turns out i can't use it because its toast anyways. Pretty much every gear has chipped teeth and all the bearings are probably nearly shot because of that. It's internally different than my other one too. Sliders and shift forks are different. All those cool jdm gears are junk.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 am 
CSM Junkie

turns out some of the gears are good. It's mostly the stationary gears on the shafts which are shot, no matter cause the dsm ones are the same. More importantly 1st gear is in good shape! It should be real interesting with the evo 1st gear
dsm 3.083
evo 2.571
i plan on using evo 5th gear as well. for better highway cruising, and i don't use 5th racing anyways.

The evo 1 tranny also has a cast iron 1-2 shift fork. I'll probably just get a magnus chromo 3-4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm 
Some call me a god

that trans should have all cast shift forks. I know mine did. and that first gear is amazing! I loved it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

Naw the 3/4 fork is the same as the 93-newer dsm fork. But now that you said that i wonder how i could track i could track down the part number for a factory steel fork . I am definately stoked on the evo 1st gear, If i could do it again, i would still buy the broken trans for the 1st gear/iput shaft alone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

Omg omg omg this is freakin huge. Got my colt back up and running today. This is what i have now=
centerforce clutch dual friction
fidanza flywheel
evo 1st gear
evo 2nd gear double synchro
evo input shaft
evo 5th
evo 3 shift forks
dsm everything else

The result= when i grabbed 2nd gear at 7000 rpms and it shifted effortlessly- i was floored. Ear to ear grin. I think all 3 things all contributed to the cause-
taller 1st- less of a jump to 2nd
double synch
fidanza.

This is going to make a huge difference on my 0-60 time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:08 pm 
Some call me a god

NICE! glad it all worked out. I wish i still had mine. I bent a rail, and sold the shift forks to a friend. FML

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:32 pm 
2nd Banana

I'm kinda jealous. I want EVO internals.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I'm kinda jealous. I want EVO internals.
I can't believe it isn't a more common thing. I guess it's probably a very expensive thing if you get all new parts at the dealer. I want to buy a whole sea can full of evo transmissions now. I know now if (when) i break these gears, i will have to buy new evo gears from the dealer, there is going back.