4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

After months and months of chasing wiring harness/ECU gremlins and ultimately creating my own harness and running megashart I finally was able to get the car to pull solid time after time.

To make a long story short, I was messing with a 360 Modena on the freeway and after a 4th gear pull I put the car into neutral and it felt like it was still in gear but in the center. I wiggled it, it came loose like neutral, and then it felt normal and drove fine in all gears. I drove home and found fluid all over the floor of the garage. It turns out a few teeth sandwiched between the diff and the case; busting a hole.

I'm not making that much power, maybe 450AWHP, car weighs 2750 w/ me in it. Boost comes on very early it is pretty torquey. It's a TRE trans with all the bell and whistles (at least for '02-03 ish time frame). I know this is a fairly common occurrence and just wanted to know what my options are. This is my first time opening one of these so go easy on me. Is this even an EVO 4th gear? Is there an easy way to tell? It has double synchros.

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0877/IMG_3469

http://g.imagehost.org/view/0113/IMG_3473

(removed from here..)
http://g.imagehost.org/view/0631/IMG_3475

The car shifted normal - 4th made a little noise, and everything inside look ok. I'd like to replace 4th with a stronger gear if available and possibly go to a taller 5th and 1st while I'm in there. I was only using synchroslush...

Any pointers? Comments?

Dan

Last edited by dan on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 am 
CSM Junkie

its not evo 4th gear.
and while the the evo 3rd and 4th gears are stronger with one less tooth than US trans they both use same cluster gear. The cluster gear is weakest point of gears. The undercut forth gear is biggest problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:10 pm 
Some call me a god

Get a stock trans with a welded diff and a twin disk. call it a day.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
What is that going to do to help 4th gear?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:47 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I did that, and I broke my tranny the first time I tried shifting hard. Awesome advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm 
Some call me a god

Older trans with higher miles kinda heat treats them selfs over time and miles and makes them stronger.. how many STOCK dsm trans have you heard of breaking teeth in 4th? None.

How many built trans have you heard breaking teeth in 4th? ALOT.

And tony, A twin disk doesnt help driver mod. The trans in my car is complete trash. grinds 3,4,5. Was thrown together from 4 transmissions to make one junky one. It has a alot of low 10 sec passes. and at least 2k street miles of Pure hell and NLTS. No issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:39 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Older trans with higher miles kinda heat treats them selfs over time and miles and makes them stronger.. how many STOCK dsm trans have you heard of breaking teeth in 4th? None.

How many built trans have you heard breaking teeth in 4th? ALOT.

And tony, A twin disk doesnt help driver mod. The trans in my car is complete trash. grinds 3,4,5. Was thrown together from 4 transmissions to make one junky one. It has a alot of low 10 sec passes. and at least 2k street miles of Pure hell and NLTS. No issues.
The trans that I broke was a 93+ tranny with weaker internals, or so I'm told. My driving style is the same with the current trans I'm using and it shifts great, so I don't know about that one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 pm 
Some call me a god

What did you break on your trans?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:08 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
What did you break on your trans?
3rd gear hub/slider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

This happened just rolling on the freeway - already in 4th - just punching the gas. Doesn't have much to do with the driver or clutch. Assuming it wasn't already cracked, which I highly doubt.

According to this:
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/dsm_g ... 95e7c4b446
I can just buy evo crap, run a thick fluid and forget about it. Wait, I'm never that lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 pm 
Some call me a god

It was probably weak from previous pulls. Dale, t2fastalon had a shep stage3 do the same thing cruising..

The reason i said a twin disk, is to get the junker DSM trans to shift at high rpms. haha No need to spend 2k on a built trans.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Jack does good shit and takes care of you if one of his trannies takes a shit....If your looking for another built tranny....

Also i found its hit and mis with trannies at least seems to be the case with 5 speeds....I should know i have at least 10+ plus trannies under my belt i have gone through ask the colorado guys.....I found i would break the 3rd gear shift fork more than anything i have only stripped 4th gear teeth once....I have only broke 3 awd units the rest were fwd boxes i put 500+hp uncorrected and almost 500ftq to them i found using 1 1/2 quarts of syncomesh and the rest heavy gear oil did the trick my tranny lasted a while after i did that till i parted it i would say a good 6ths+...All mine were stock trannies...I was running a fp3065 like you but i also broke a handful of fwd trannies on a 16g....

I have now switched to an auto case to prevent going through trannies like m&m's.....Much stronger and mitsu best kept secert sort of, they hold power.....

Also all the fwd's were in a light car the colt but the awd's were in my heavy ass 1g 3200#'s.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:37 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

I have now switched to an auto case to prevent going through trannies like m&m's.....Much stronger and mitsu best kept secert sort of, they hold power.....
Very interested in this auto business. Let me bomb you with newb questions if you don't mind...What do I need to modify to get it to hold 500hp/600tq? Just the converter? Tonus was telling me that people have hacked the TCU and have had great luck with it.

Are there certain years of AWD autos I would need? Approx cost for a stock one? Who would I go to for a better converter? Are there any AWD auto colts out there?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:

Very interested in this auto business. Let me bomb you with newb questions if you don't mind...What do I need to modify to get it to hold 500hp/600tq? Just the converter? Tonus was telling me that people have hacked the TCU and have had great luck with it.

Are there certain years of AWD autos I would need? Approx cost for a stock one? Who would I go to for a better converter? Are there any AWD auto colts out there?

End clutches are the big thing kiggley sells some that are bad ass or stock replacement ones will hold....You can run the stock converter just take it to an auto tranny shop and ask them to loosen it up as much as they can thats all ipt does....Or you could spend the money and get an ipt billet converter for about 900 bucks...Tonus is right alot of people have hacked there tcu they have to be eprom though i have a spare if you decide this is the route your going...

Any 1g auto from a turbo 1g will be fine far as i know there all the same there a w33 series but ipt says the w22 series is just as strong and make a rebuild kit for the w22 series too found in the expos and non turbo 1g's........They cost the same as a 5 speed at a junk yard or can be found for cheap or same price as a 5speed stock tranny...For a built one there retarded and run about 2600 bucks you could rebuild one your self for couple hundred bucks...There are a couple of awd colt one is here in colorado he's figured out how to launch it now and it performing great...

They also make shift kits and shift boxes witch replace the tcu and you shift with a button...

I will get you some links tomorrow for u to look at i would tonight but im tired......

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

End clutches are the big thing kiggley sells some that are bad ass or stock replacement ones will hold....You can run the stock converter just take it to an auto tranny shop and ask them to loosen it up as much as they can thats all ipt does....Or you could spend the money and get an ipt billet converter for about 900 bucks...Tonus is right alot of people have hacked there tcu they have to be eprom though i have a spare if you decide this is the route your going...

Any 1g auto from a turbo 1g will be fine far as i know there all the same there a w33 series but ipt says the w22 series is just as strong and make a rebuild kit for the w22 series too found in the expos and non turbo 1g's........They cost the same as a 5 speed at a junk yard or can be found for cheap or same price as a 5speed stock tranny...For a built one there retarded and run about 2600 bucks you could rebuild one your self for couple hundred bucks...There are a couple of awd colt one is here in colorado he's figured out how to launch it now and it performing great...

They also make shift kits and shift boxes witch replace the tcu and you shift with a button...

I will get you some links tomorrow for u to look at i would tonight but im tired......
Thanks for the info! What about the rearend? I assume I'll have to change that as well; did they come with 4-bolts?