4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 97 awd swap?
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I have been lurking for a while reading up on 4g63 swaps with the hope of an AWD eventually. Out of no where I found a Talon TSI AWD for $800 in my area. I am so excited at the possibility of picking it up Saturday. But as I dug into it more I read on some thread from Tonus and a few others that 2g AWD is not worth it. I am worried that I don't know everything I should going in so now I am looking at the possibility of:

ignoring the post and doing the swap anyway
looking for 1g AWD parts
looking for 1g or 2g FWD parts and not doing AWD on the colt

Anyone have some advice/forum posts I could look over to help with this. I have been waiting to start this 4g63 swap for almost a year now and have the money ready. I just don't want to miss something important and ruin my chances of enjoying this car.

Post subject: Re: 97 awd swap?
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:01 am 
2nd Banana

If you do the swap, you pretty much need to use 1g AWD parts. 2g stuff is just totally different, but I suppose if you had the fabrication skills, time, and money, anything is possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:05 am 

I was under the impression it was not a suggested swat due to performance. You make it sound like its not possible because stuff just wont match up...There is another 93 TSI talon for $1500 but I didn't want to spend that much.

What on the 2g wont bolt up?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I was under the impression it was not a suggested swat due to performance. You make it sound like its not possible because stuff just wont match up...There is another 93 TSI talon for $1500 but I didn't want to spend that much.

What on the 2g wont bolt up?
Well none of it bolts up, but a 2g has a totally different style of subframe and different style of suspension than a 1g. You would need to do a 5-lug conversion for sure because the hubs on a 2g are totally different (axle goes all the way through instead of using axle cups like a 1g does). No one has ever tried doing the swap with 2g parts, but lots of people have pulled it off with 1g stuff, why make it more difficult on yourself? 1g AWD parts are not hard to find at all.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:40 am 

I didn't know it was that different. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 am 
CSM Junkie

i'd pick up the 2g part it out and use the profit to buy a 1g donor. but thats just me.

the 2g stuff is not impossible but it will have a few surprises im sure.

good luck.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 am 

This is getting a little off topic but would a 2g FWD swap fit better? Is it the 2g trannies in general I need to stay away from?

I found a 93 eclipse AWD that would probably work better. Problem is the guy wants $1700 for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:45 am 
Some call me a god

If you are willing to go the path never traveled then you could certainly put that 2g drivetrain in your Colt. But you are going to be fabricating everything without help from people that have already done it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
This is getting a little off topic but would a 2g FWD swap fit better? Is it the 2g trannies in general I need to stay away from?

I found a 93 eclipse AWD that would probably work better. Problem is the guy wants $1700 for it.
No, you can't use 2g stuff, the factory 1.6 turbo axles will not fit in a 2g trans. Get this 2g stuff out of your head man.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 am 
CSM Junkie

93 isn't a 2g btw,lol. But anyways yeah the 2g parts are much different suspension wise that it's really not worth swapping. Any 1g parts car (90-94) will work for the swap, also you said 97, well if this is true you would have to rearrange the engine over to the other side and cut+ weld engine mounts. :wink: