4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:36 pm 

i started my awd swap on my 89 colt i put the engine and tranny in and the transfor case hits my sway what do you guys suggest?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:21 pm 
Some call me a god

The transfer case hits your sway bar?

Either your sway bar is too low, which I doubt, unless the mounts are totally not there anymore. Can you grab the bar by the transfer case and push it up and down?

Or the front and rear motor mounts are not positioned right. Sounds like the engine might be on too much of an angle forward. I assume the rubber inside the motor mounts are in good shape and have no chunks missing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:40 pm 

well i just have the mount on the timing belt side on and the tranny mount the engine looks normal sitting in there as far as the sway bar goes i have no idea it isnt hitting by much but if i knew how to post pics i would just do that im using hyndai 1.6 mounts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:08 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
well i just have the mount on the timing belt side on and the tranny mount the engine looks normal sitting in there as far as the sway bar goes i have no idea it isnt hitting by much but if i knew how to post pics i would just do that im using hyndai 1.6 mounts
If you're using all the correct timing belt and tranny mounts, then your engine and tranny are tilting forward, and as a result your t-fer case is hitting the sway bar. Put on the front and rear mounts and see if that levels everything out.

Also: Pics would really help too ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:17 pm 

how do you put pics on here? and i was going to put the transfor case in then build my crossmember so i dont know how it was suposed to be because my crossmember isnt in but it looks normal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:41 am 
Some call me a god

i always use photobucket.com and i never had a problem with my tcase hitting my sway bar. I actually had alot of room between the two

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:30 am 
CSM Junkie

A thought of a good way to solve this issue. Its what i would have done had i any of the 61 mounts when i did my swap. Install the motor, trans with all 4g61 mounts. then use screw jacks to hold the motor's position forward to back. One from the head to the rad support, one from the head to the firewall. do not tighten them too much or you will bend or break something. Just tighten them enough to hold them in place, then go ahead and remove the crossmember and make a new one that allows for a t case. course when i did mine i just inserted the driveshaft and eyeballed it straight.