4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: awd swap
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:58 am 
CSM Junkie

say I had all the parts needed for the awd swap, is there anybody on the board from pa,ny, or nj that could do it? If there is how much would you charge, and how long do you think it would take? let me know guys. thanks.

Post subject: Re: awd swap
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:47 am 

I know I'm too far south for you but I'm sure I could handle it. I've never done one before but have been wanting to for a good while now. I would say you're easily looking at $1000 in labor alone and thats if someone hooks you up. Most shops probably wouldn't even mess with it to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:15 am 
CSM Junkie

one of my mechanics i go to sometimes, is really good at any kind of custom fabrication. for the work he does his prices are pretty good to, but hes always so busy. when i wanted my intercooler piping done i had to wait so long because to get my car in because of a viper he was making a twin turbo kit for. he told me if i brought him pictures and some info on what has to be done with the swap it shouldnt be a problem at all. i wouldnt mine bringing it someone who has done one or two already. if you werent so far away i would be your test dummy, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 am 

Why not just invest in a quality MIG welder and take on the project yourself? There are quite a few running awd swaps on here now so if you hit any snags you can come here for help. In the end you'll have the satisfaction of saying you completed it on your own.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:50 am 
CSM Junkie

lol, i have never welded a day in my life. i would leave it to the pros, i would probally end up hurting myself.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

I agree If you don't know how to weld than vital car parts are not a good place to start. But mig welding is really easy and you could pick it up in a few hours.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:14 pm 

Quote:
lol, i have never welded a day in my life. i would leave it to the pros, i would probally end up hurting myself.
It's really not that hard. Go get a good entry level mig welder from lows or home depot and practice on some scrap metal. You will be fine.......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:24 pm 

Just make sure the metal is clean and the welder is grounded to the part. I have a millermatic 135 (I think) with the gas attachment and it welds great. Its also a 110 unit so just plug it in anywhere. I think it was around $800 or so with the cart, wire, helmet and a bottle of gas but it paid for itself in no time. I just broke the angle grinder out and practiced on a bunch of scrap that I had laying around and I caught on pretty quick.

You could go with an even cheaper unit I'm sure but when it comes to stuff like this I think you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:21 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well I live in southern part of Mass, I can weld really good and I'll make sure the job is done right. I never had done one but I'm really good at fab work. I seen a lot of AWD swaps on here and I have build a 4g63t hyundai, so I think I could be able to do so. Most likely I'm going to do the AWD swap this year to my elantra and I know for a fact that it will come out great. I have a really large shop to do it in so, if you want it done just let me know, ok :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Well I live in southern part of Mass, I can weld really good and I'll make sure the job is done right. I never had done one but I'm really good at fab work. I seen a lot of AWD swaps on here and I have build a 4g63t hyundai, so I think I could be able to do so. Most likely I'm going to do the AWD swap this year to my elantra and I know for a fact that it will come out great. I have a really large shop to do it in so, if you want it done just let me know, ok :wink:
I'll keep that in mind, thanks man. :D