4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: other rear ends
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok i have a question, i have been looking into the awd stuff for a bit i have a 2g sedan and would love to do the swap. any way there are no awd dsm or gvr4s at any of the yards here so i was looking into options. how about the jaguar style. there are all kinds of after market rear ends for it, its a 4 bar, and if you havnt seen them then there cool as hell. they come built up in there own sub frame so mounting it is almost just a bult up. now, how hard would it be to get the drive line hooked up. if any one has info, this could be a very available option. thanks.

Post subject: Re: other rear ends
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 am 

88 and up mustang 8.8 rear end is what im putting togeather.... u need 3.55 gears...and some sort of way to mount it up.im gonna use 4 link system on mine.

this is the kit im getting.. if u look thru the site... for ford parts... u can get stock setup also.. either way it needs to be welded in.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am 

ok but your going to be useing a sold axle right? I am looking for somethin with an irs, like the dsm rear ends. here is the link for the one i was looking at. it is a sweet set up, I was just hoping someone could help me with things like, what to do about the drive shaft. thanks

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/frsusp.htm

so any way i have come accross quite a few 4g63's, with an awd tranny, the real problem for me is the rear end. if i do the swap it will be a long way off i am just trying to get an idea so i can start getting parts together now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:26 pm 

Has anyone looked into a conquest rear end, its 4 bolt and it shares the pinion shaft design with the chrysler 8.8".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:29 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Has anyone looked into a conquest rear end, its 4 bolt and it shares the pinion shaft design with the chrysler 8.8".
They're actually 6-bolt rear ends. I have to assume you would need custom axles to make one fit in a CSM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:18 pm 

[quote="deco_will_fly"]ok but your going to be useing a sold axle right? I am looking for somethin with an irs, like the dsm rear ends. here is the link for the one i was looking at. it is a sweet set up, I was just hoping someone could help me with things like, what to do about the drive shaft. thanks

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/frsusp.htm

yes I am going with the solid axle.. I didnt like the irs that was in my talon.. to many moving parts to break and when I did break a rear axle it was a pain to get a replacement...plus from what I have researched.. the ford rear end is easier to fit in the csm than the dsm rear cause of less mounting points...i could be wrong but this is they way I decided to go...

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:41 am 

ok I feel you on the less moving parts, always better, how ever the ford solid axle is only good for going strate, I love the 1/4 mile but, I would much rather have a canyon carver. any way, any one know anything about that rear end I posted the link to? it looks sweet as hell, even has its own coil over mounting point. and if it would fit, it looks as thoough the thing would be easy to mount up, once you built a sub frame on your car of corse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 am 
CSM Junkie

I have a 1g awd rear end if you need one, just let me know :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:21 am 
2nd Banana

The problem is, this is going in a C10 car, and I really don't think it's possible to use a DSM rear subframe in a C10. It would have to be an entirely custom job, doesn't sound like fun to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:26 pm 

yes it is a c10, and yes fun is not the word for it. as i said early on, it will be a long way off, if at all. I may end up leaving it as is, and pick up a 3g to do the swap. but even then, what do you guys think about that rear end, or any other for that matter. its not a bolt in thing any way so i figure i may as well use the best stuff there is, if there is something better out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

have you looked into the datsun Z IRS's or the 2nd or 3rd gen RX7's ?

however you need the 3.55 gearing and im not sure about the availability of different gearsets for those rears.
if i remember right from my v8 rx7 days. the most common rear gears on the rx7's were 3.90 and 4.10