4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 pm 

So the question is can I use a dsm(1st gen) transfer case on my 1994 mitsu expo?? Ive had the case for over 6 months now. And ive had been doing research on the teeth. (The one I had 21-driveshaft,23-tranny),and I’ve heard that 1g,2g transfer cases were different teeth. I’ve called a few shops and none knew (exactly) how many there were on each (even ams).
So I figured I would wait till I had all the parts I needed and go for it. For over a yr I’ve been driving in 2wd. My carrier bearings seized up causing my tfc to break and my yoke to fall off (while I was on the highway). Thankfully I wasn’t going fast. At the time I was kind of new to the van and it didn’t occur to me what was wrong. I thought it was the transmission it’s self so I parked it on a street in kc and it sat for a month till my bud towed me back home.
Found a local guy who pressed me in some new oem bearing from the dealerarship(that took 2 weeks to get). I also needed a new yoke (which was $60.00 for the expo specifically). That took another week. After I got it the asshole didn’t want to put it on. So I drove carefully (with yoke scraping) to this other shop, where the guy simply took off the driveshaft. So since then I’ve been doing the fwd, 2wd thing.
Been saving a little on gas, All the while getting parts for my return to awd victory. I got a 2g poly motor mount set(I can only use the 2 side and tranny mount) and I got some oem front and rear mounts(rear dealear,and front for a lrv) dealer didn’t have the front mount for my van or the 2 screws for my driveshaft. I fitted the same size screws (with a different thread pattern) and made a rubber bushing.
I also brought some new cross member bolts (I needed 4 but dealer only had 3).it seems since my car is so old and rare not even mitsu has the parts needed to repair or replace. I didn’t ask for the bolts when the guy took off the shaft because I figured I would get more and they wouldn’t be expensive.(they were over $40.00)I then returned the (expo specific) yoke because I figured I would need a dsm yoke brought a 1g yoke($60.00) and had a shop press it on for $6.00
So before I installed the new one. I took it apart and cleaned it up (brake cleaner is priceless).and I lubed it up to see if it worked properly. The I used some new rtv sealant and was done. The removal and installation was not hard at all (thanks to air compressor and breaker bar.) I got the old one off, shined up the area (dirty due to 2 separate leaks) and reinstalled the new one. It fit perfectly so I’am guessing the expo tranny is a 4g63(with a different p/n) after the install there is some drive train wine.
The guy at the press shop said my u joint is loose and going out(in the rear) but id figure id have some time to fix that(don’t have to remove the whole thing to replace.) no leaks from the yoke. I put some rtv sealant in the bottom of the shaft before install. I don’t know if it’s a perfect fit though. If you look in the picks the yoke slides on the tfc. But not all the way on.

heres the link to my gallery

http://s495.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... placement/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:42 pm 
2nd Banana

'90 and early '91 DSM's use a 22-spline transfer case. Late '91-'94 DSM's use a 23-spline, and I believe 2g's do as well. How exactly are you driving around in FWD? Unless your center diff was welded or locked just removing the driveshaft doesn't make the car run in FWD mode.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:53 pm 

well mine did. and if you take the driveshaft off the tfc yoke connection spins(without removing the actuall transfer case)
this would allow the tfc liquid to leak out.but since the connection shaft was broken it still spinned. don't know exactly how but i just removed the driveshaft and made it a 2wd car.