4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys , I have allready done a 4g63t swap in my elantra . My question is, have any of you guys heard of anybody goin awd on this body stile? I have the access to parts , just curious if its possible and , how difficult it would be.
Thanks
Gage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:08 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I'm sure it's been done, but it's almost identical to the CSM underpinnings, with minor differences due to being produced by Hyundai and not having a 4WD equivalent in the same product line; principles are the same. If you could duplicate the AWD swaps or better that are being installed in this section, then you could just as easily (and I use this term loosely!), produce a similar setup in an Elantra chassis. Easy, no. Cheap, no. This requires welding skill so as to not kill yourself or passenger if something lets loose from shoddy work, and some good fabrication ability, which means thinking a little outside the box too. Don't let this deter you if you have the means, the will, and the pocketbook because estimates to build a full on project that is not driveable until the very end, are what kill peoples dreams in short order.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:54 pm 
The happy administrator

Basically have to create a driveshaft tunnel and rear floorpan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

humm, im a certified welder and own a miller-matic , I just need some guidance into wich direction to go. I know a tunnel will have to be fabed and thats not a problem. I have a whole 4-bolt setup in my basement with drive shaft. Shouls I try to use the factory 1g mounting locations for everything or what... Its just totally different under the hyundai and the 1g . Seems kinda like I would be pissin in the wind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Have you guys ever messed with a evo4 "dual scroll" turbo setup on the 4g63? I bought one to put on my car to replace the 14b , heard it used to be the shit before the ball bearing turbos now. I got a hell of a deal in a big mhi16g, manifold,o2 housing and gaskets . Just wondering on any input?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:46 pm 
The happy administrator

You're on your own for the awd, I've never seen it done. I wouldn't bother with a twin scroll on a light car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:01 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Have you guys ever messed with a evo4 "dual scroll" turbo setup on the 4g63? I bought one to put on my car to replace the 14b , heard it used to be the shit before the ball bearing turbos now. I got a hell of a deal in a big mhi16g, manifold,o2 housing and gaskets . Just wondering on any input?
I was under the impression that those turbos spin the opposite direction and are mounted the other way, you'd have to make a custom manifold/o2 housing/downpipe and probably re-locate your alternator and take out the power steering if you still have it. It's not really worth the work required to make it happen, a regular EVO 3 16G spools plenty fast.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:06 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
humm, im a certified welder and own a miller-matic , I just need some guidance into wich direction to go. I know a tunnel will have to be fabed and thats not a problem. I have a whole 4-bolt setup in my basement with drive shaft. Shouls I try to use the factory 1g mounting locations for everything or what... Its just totally different under the hyundai and the 1g . Seems kinda like I would be pissin in the wind.

I have a 95 Hyundai Elantra, and the stock tunnel should be fine, it's deep enough for the drive shaft. So far from doing a lot of looking underneath my car, they are the same as a CSM, so if you follow through like a CSM, you should be all set. I also have a 93 hyundai excel with a 4g63t swap that I had for 3 years now and wished that I could make it AWD though. The wheel base on the excel is 53 inches and shy of another 3 inches. One day I measured a 94 hyundai elantra in the pick-a-parts, and measured the wheel base of it, amazingly that the wheels base was the same as a CSM, so that why I have a elantra now.

Doing AWD is every possible and quite a bit of fab work which need to be done inorder to to mate the DSM AWD rear end to the car. Possible? YES Alot of fab work? YES, Is it worth the swap? YES!!!!! :wink: :D