4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:20 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I was going to just take out the struts/springs for the colt but will the spindles work too? Wondering if I could upgrade to the 1g awd bigger brakes and 5 lug spindles. Any info on this would be great.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:39 pm 

Its been answered many times. They will work but they cause problems, you will have to slot the struts or find some other way to "straighten" the wheels. Lowering the car helps a bit too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:01 pm 

I have DSM front spindles/hubs on my converted AWD Colt. But i had to fab up some camber plates, in addition to using cam bolts on the struts to get the wheels zero'd out on the alignment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:23 pm 

I'm also planning on eclipse front spindles, since camber plates are getting harder to find, I was thinking about making a set of front tubular lower control arms. would they need to me longer or shorter to compensate for the eclipse spindle ? (have'nt seen a csm with a eclipse spindle on yet)

scot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:45 am 

^^^Completely off subject but if I was making lower comtrol arms I would go ahead and make them the correct length for AWD DSM axles. This way in the future it will be much easier to find replacements. In order to run the CSM turbo axles you just need to make them identical to the arms already up there. Check out Turbokids AWD swap in the AWD section, he has the DSM 5 lug front knuckles on his car. There is also nothing wrong with slotting the top hole in the struts, just put a thick washer on each side once the alignment is done and weld them up afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:57 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
^^^Completely off subject but if I was making lower comtrol arms I would go ahead and make them the correct length for AWD DSM axles. This way in the future it will be much easier to find replacements. In order to run the CSM turbo axles you just need to make them identical to the arms already up there.
I'm not gonna spill all the beans on this one, but you can take DSM axles and make a turbo CSM axle, at least on the passenger side. I haven't tried the driver side yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:29 pm 

good info thanks