4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:59 am 
CSM Junkie

im puting together my rear shock spring setup on my AWD swap and i noticed that the tires will rub on the springs. did this happen to any of you guys? FWIW i have stock talon wheels on there now, still 5 bolt. im trying to use the old CSM shock/spring with a talon lower shock mount welded on it. but havent been able to. the ride height is fine it just rubs the springs. i was thinking that maybe its the camber being out of whack or the offset of the talon wheels? or both together?

also i noticed that i have to pull the shocks back at an angle just to get them in the right spot for the AWD mounting spot, the shock assembly wants to go straight down where the axle is but i have to pull it back a few inches to the shock mounting spot. is that normal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:32 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
also i noticed that i have to pull the shocks back at an angle just to get them in the right spot for the AWD mounting spot, the shock assembly wants to go straight down where the axle is but i have to pull it back a few inches to the shock mounting spot.
I have that issue with my car, what I did wrong was I mounted the diff too far back. I ended up putting on a similar size to the colt tire and it nobody notices it now.

As for the strut, I welded on a couple of pieces that I cut off a 1.5'' steel pipe. Made it the length that I needed. It was the bottom spring mount that was hitting my tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:13 am 
CSM Junkie

hey bud that pic isnt working for me. just got a red x.

i made sure (after reading posts here) to double check the location of the tires in the wheel wells before welding it in so it wasnt to far back or forward.. i think it looks straight.. heres a pic.

as for the pipe you cut and welded, can you explain better what your talking about? i have the holes from the stock talon struts welded to the stock CSM mount holes like a figure 8 to give the right height but the camber of the wheels makes the top rub on the bottom of the spring just like yours. i can pull the shock away from the tire enough to clear but then i couldnt get it welded right it would be offset

i've seen people use stock talon wheels so im hoping i didnt over look something stupid... :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:51 pm 
Some call me a god

I dont have an actual picture of what I did to mine, but here is a 5 minute etch-a-sketch of what I did. I know the struts/springs that I used were really old and getting weak so that may be why I had the length issues.
http://gallery.4g61t.org/v/colt200/awd_ ... ewsIndex=1
Basically its just what you did (from the sounds of it) with another pipe piece welded under the 8 that you just made. When they are welded on, if they are crooked at all, they will break off. You can make it a bit safer by welding in the flat steel that is in the same etch-a-sketch, but I dont like the idea of modifying struts like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:59 pm 

I hope you can weld. The looks like it would be very dangerous if not welded properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:03 pm 
Some call me a god

Why wouldnt stock talon wheels be the right off set for a rear subframe out of a AWD talon?? There fine.

I had the problem when my car was first put togeter as well. But it was slammed. and needed lifted up some more. I welded a AWD strut bottom piece to the bottom of my strut. and that fixed it. I then bought a ingalls rear camber kit. and put it even further away. Im now running 215/45/16's and no rubbbage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:15 am 
CSM Junkie

Yeah my tires have that same spot worn from the sping perch too. Nothing some 1 1/2 pipe and an hour won't fix. (2" strut extension)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:54 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Why wouldnt stock talon wheels be the right off set for a rear subframe out of a AWD talon?? There fine.

I had the problem when my car was first put togeter as well. But it was slammed. and needed lifted up some more. I welded a AWD strut bottom piece to the bottom of my strut. and that fixed it. I then bought a ingalls rear camber kit. and put it even further away. Im now running 215/45/16's and no rubbbage
i was refering to the spring location in relation to the CSM mounting spots because i was pulling the shock out of its straight down position to fit the awd shock mounting spot.

i figured out the problem, my rearend was ever so slightly to the left so it was causing the shock to have to kick left to clear the tire but that made it offset on the lower mount add that to the neg camber and it was touching. the other side had room. made a few adjustments and im ok. im still gonna get a camber correction kit so its not rubbing on hard launches.