4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well it's been a while since i've updated this project. All i've done to the colt since is new struts in the rear. This required some fabrication. I left the struts alone, and welded new mounts on the talon rear ends. It wasn't that bad, took a saturday afternoon.

My new daily driver/beater

Looks pretty fast, don't it? Well the colt makes this thing feel like a geo metro! I ran 15 flat on the gtech, with no launch. I'm sure i could run a low 14 with an agressive launch, but i don't think i will be trying that anytime soon. I am installing some gold 17 inch rims and that's it. I will not mod this thing at all. Ever. It is a daily driver and that's it.

As far as the colt is concerned, it is my main focus. I have a month worth of plates left on it and then i won't licence it for awhile. Here is my plan for what i will do this winter= (chime in with your thoughts if you have any)

new synchros- Mitsubishi dealer?
clutch- ebay?
clutch fork- i hear this is a good idea?
flywheel-fidanza?
b.s removal- ebay 20 dollar kit?
And obviously t-belt and seals
Whatever free/cheap mods i can think of.

I plan on relocating the battery back to the front of the car, cause i think having a cutoff switch is stupid, and i won't do it, just so i can run at the track next year.
MAD weight reduction
new tires- again just to run at the track. Will be going on 14 inch steel rims with white hubcaps. I thought of spinners or skull and crossbones, but that would maybe be a bit over the top. I want it to fly under the radar.
talon tsi front bumper cover- this will make it easier to conceal the intercooler.
Water/meth injection
Whatever else I/ you guys can think of.

Basically i want to max out the stock turbo before i even think about upgrading. And i really like the response of the 14b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:26 pm 

Hey man, don't buy that Ebay BS removal kit. Honestly, go with the dealer parts. Those kits are known to destroy oil pumps which will in turn destroy your engine. Those kits aren't balanced enough for the RPM that that engine will be turning. Seriously, if you're going to do it, do it right. Buy the 4G61 parts from Mitsu. There's a thread around here somewhere on part numbers and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:13 am 
Some call me a god

Nice car, it should work great up here in the winter.

synchros- normally do suck in the dsm trannies, (I ordered mine and received the wrong ones, still have them in the bag in the garage)
clutch- dont get a "spec" clutch, I have had two, the first did damage, the second is in there now, its not bad but lots of people have damage done when they break apart
clutch fork- i put a shim behind mine, it helped alot, but the shift fork can break in the tranny, maybe replace that? I think its the 3-4 fork
flywheel- i love my fidanza, just takes a while to get use to moving from a stop
b.s. stuff- i turned my bearings to plug the oil holes, except for the front most bearing by the oil pump, cut the rear balance shaft off just behind the first bearing point and machine it flat, then i installed it like normal. It cost me nothing and still works good I think.

You could get one of those small batteries that are in little hondas, that would make it a bit easier to mount in the engine bay again. That little battery should have no problem as long as you dont want to drive it in the winter time, and its a bit lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:01 pm 

Quote:
Well here's the new daily driver. 200 bucks

First thing i did with this thing was drive it to the weight scale. It weighs 2050 lbs!!!!!
That's wayyy lighter than a 3g hatch. My plan is to use this as a daily driver (i drive 170 kms a day, so i kinda need mileage. And hope and pray every day for the engine to die. Then in goes the 4g63t from that blue talon. It'll be a front wheel drive, so it'll be easy. It looks like the main hurdle with this swap is the hydro clutch. It's gonna be a suckfest, and i have no idea how i will tackle it.

I'm getting way off topic here i know, i just wanted to let everybody know what a car o holic i am.
Ever since the colt swap, I don't think i will ever swap another motor( besides the 4g63t.)
I used to swap a lot of toyota motors. Mainly supra motors. Not anymore.
The hydro clutch isn't that bad. Take a set of pedals out of a DSM. You'll have to cut some of the pedal assembly (where it mounts closest to the steering wheel). Then just drill holes for the clutch master and I think you're set. I just sold my pedals to someone else on the board, so I'm sorry I can't get you some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:02 pm 

Oh, and I can't believe you got that thing for $200. I hate you. Looks straight! And decent primer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

The 94 in the picture is at my dad's acreage now, I'm not selling it, but i'm not doing anything with it either, anytime soon. I just cleaned out my garage and threw everything away, including the pedals out of the donor talon. I sold the blue talon, it was too good to use as a donor. But if i ever manage to score another wrecked awd dsm, i'll be set to do yet another swap. But for now i will just focus all my car fixing time on the white warrior. I can also swap all the stuff from the 3g to the 4g if i should ever crash it/get it written off/ or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 am 
CSM Junkie

Don't know if anybody cares, but i'm pretty pround of this setup. Looking pretty sleeperish these days. About a month ago i installed some studded winter tires, and have been driving the absolute bag off this thing. It is awesome in the winter! The heater blows so hot i have to open a window! Synchros are still shot, but i'm so good at 1-2 shift now i don't even notice anymore. It pulls wicked hard even in winter! I lowered the boost a few lbs before winter now its around 14. But the real story here is about those 14 inch steel wheels. They are off of a 95 talon esi. With the 185 65 14 tires, they weigh 33 lbs. Before i had the talon tsi wheels (now they are my wife's winter wheels 08 lancer he he) Those wheels will never go back on though. 43 lbs!!!! with tires of course. The performance difference is very noticable, it's like having a few more pounds of boost. Also the gearing has changed due to smaller tire diameter. But the car handles awesome with them, way better than it did with the talon wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 pm 
Some call me a god

Nice to know your putting the awd to good use. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

A big thanks to whoever thought this up.. Whoda thought it was so easy to install a laser bumper? I ended up ditching the steel part, and just self tapping screws up into the metal (valance?)

Well it's not perfect but it looks 100 percent better.

Well that looks like crap. Don't know what i was thinking with the rattle can paint. The paint on the colt is old and yellowy. I guess a whole car repaint is in order!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:10 pm 
Some call me a god

Bah, once its all covered up with slush mess you will barely notice the difference in color.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

A big thanks to whoever thought this up.. Whoda thought it was so easy to install a laser bumper? I ended up ditching the steel part, and just self tapping screws up into the metal (valance?)

It also fits on a Hyundai too :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

You can't even see the intercooler under there!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

under the hundai? that is currently a non turbo car

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:32 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
You can't even see the intercooler under there!

Hahaha, yeah I don't have the 4g63t swap in this hyundai, well at least not yet :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
under the hundai? that is currently a non turbo car
I know im just being an ass.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next