4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 pm 
CSM Junkie

Figured out what those 4 wires do.
Big white with no stripe- Battery power supply TO ignition.

Big Black with red stripe- Starter circuit basically just goes straight to the ignition too.

Next guage down black with white stripe- Ign + this is basically the wire that runs your everything ecu related, or one of the main supplies, anyways.

Small black with white stripe- This one runs the fuel pump, i'm not sure if the relay is before or after, but there must be one somewhere.

I'm basically just jotting this down for my own records, I bet there is another harness or two under the hood to figure out, cause this is too easy so far.

I got the car running independant of the other side of the harness, just hooked up the fuel pump wire to the black/white wire on the fuel pump and hooked together the bat+wire and the b+ wire and touched them to the starter wire to fire it up.

note to self- check all other wires in that harness to see if there is a power supply- there could be a battery back up for the ecu in there, if not, it's under the hood.

time to get to work on the under hood wiring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:25 pm 
CSM Junkie

Had a pretty productive day today. Nothing left but a shell

There's a rear end somewhere under the clutter

This picture kinda gives you an idea of what a mess my garage is in right now. Image
Yup she's pretty well stripped

Tomorrow should be an exciting day. I'm gonna chop the chassis up into 3 pieces and then next friday it goes to the metal recyclers. It's a shame they're not open on saturday though. I'm tempted to just take it to the dump instead, but they charge me money to throw it out, the metal place gives me money. So i think i can just be patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Crap man, you did get alot done today. I think you have more than enough for parts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

Had a little fun with the sawzall on sunday. Hope to get a lot done this weekend. Will post progress if there is any. I noticed the talon's gas tank has the filler on the opposite side. First i will see if i can even use the talon's tank before i get thinking about it too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:09 am 
Restricted Newbie

Do not just throw that factory cat converter out with the junk metal! It is worth around 90-100 to a recycler...... Same with the one on the colt, I do a lot of mitsubishi recycling myself so I just wanted to give you a heads up!!!!! You have about $200 sitting there in cat converters! That would almost pay for your project.

Good luck!

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Oh wow cats are really worth that much? Now i just gotta figure out where to take them. I have 3 or 4 of them here. I still have that pile of junk in my garage cause i worked on friday, and my talon broke down so it looks like it will be awhile before i will get back to work on the colt. I ripped the stock rear end out of it and now it will sit like that till i get my daily driver going again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:50 am 
CSM Junkie

So as you can see i had a hell of a day yesterday. I already had the floor cut out and the 2 inch tubing purchased and a solid game plan before i started. I put in about a good 10 hours yesterday. And now i have the rear end installed, e brake works perfectly with the talon cables and colt mounts and handle. Stock colt brake lines worked fine. awd talon gas tank was easy as pie as well. I spun it around so the filler is now on the passenger side same as the colt. It mounted directly to the framerails and the boomerang rear diff mount mount. It should work really well and be solid too. It;s also up high enough so i can easily access my diff filler bolt. Only problem is where the hell did my trunk go? The stock colt struts worked perfectly as well. I just had to heat up the inner metal sleeve and bash it out, then quickly bash the strut on the talon reaR end before the rubber cools down too much. It might be riding a little low now though. maybe too low for that sleeper look, we'll see when the rest is done.

I think my cost was at 400 if i recall. Since then i sold the doors from the talon, 20 bucks Got 50 bucks from the scrapyard for the talon, but i threw some other junk along with it, so let's say 40 bucks. That's 340. then i bought 20 bucks worth of scrap, should be enough to do the rest the front mounts and driveshaft mounts too. But i found out on saturday that i needed a 47 inch piece of tubing for the one mount and didn't have it, so i had to pay 20 bucks for the one piece, yikes! So that puts me back up to 380. Probably 20 bucks worth of zip cut blades and mig wire/gas too but who's counting that.

Total cost to date- 380 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:32 pm 
Some call me a god

380, thats awesome man. You will need to change the rear struts somehow, either taller ones or weld some spacers on the bottom of the colt struts. This is where the stock colt struts got me, had a little trouble with clearance issues.

Here is the link for a bigger pic: http://www.putfile.com/pic/3461745
It would hit with any little movement before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Looks great, you should move to Cleveland. You will fit in perfect here LOL.

Welder and a dream FTW!!!
Right?!

Haha!

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:40 am 
CSM Junkie

I decided to go the crossmember route. I thought it would be a lot easier than the alternative. took 3 or 4 hours to make. I painted it right after i took the pictures of it, then installed it again.

All 4 motor mounts are now finished. Took me all day to do. It was a pain in the ass to get the motor positioned correctly since i had none of the turbo colt or elantra mounts to work with. I basically used the axles to position the motor left to right and i just kinda guessed the rest, making sure the driveshaft output was straight with the driveshaft.
And making sure the motor isn't up too high to clear the hood, that's why the hood is back on.

As you can see, it is 5 bolt. I used the driveshafts and spindles off the dsm. One great thing about doing it this way Is it is free. I am very excited that this worked out as good as it did. It is not tightly bolted together yet, as i will probably lower the front suspension slightly to aid the steering geometry, Using dsm spindles means you have to invert your tie rod ends, thereby causing them to be on a slight angle. I figure lowering the front end one inch should solve it, I would like them to be perfectly straight if possible. than i can set the camber (this setup messes it up a bit, lowering the car should help) and do a wheel alignment.

It's turning out to be not only easier but cheaper than i would have thought. When i started this project i always had planned on new colt turbo axles, and didn't know how i would get 5 bolt hubs on the front. I'm also happy that most of the rolling around on the floor crap is done with. Now i can move on to the fun stuff like bolting it back together.

Still sitting at 380 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

IT'S ALIVE!!!!! This is that run to the computer to tell somebody of your glorious victory rant. Today was such a breeze, after the motor mounts and rear end are done, you really cruise, don't you? I can't believe how everything just bolted up The only thing i had to change was use the dsm shifter cables and shifter. The dsm rad for instance, drops right in, you just have to move the lower mounts up a notch. The p.s pump plugs right in to the colt lines, the alternator, throttle cable, i can't believe it....

I still have much work to do before i can take it out. But i can't believe how far i have come in such a short period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Congradulations man... Is your driver side mirror broken or is that just a rag hanging in the window frame? Are you also missing that window trim on the drivers door? I have a spare mirror, case is cracked, and a extra trim piece i believe. I want to see the differnces in the way you did it, I should be able to make it up there next week... I dont think I will get stopped by a snow storm this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

I tripped on some junky car part and put my hand out and busted it right off. And the window trim piece is missing both sides. There's 3 of these colts at the (cheap) wrecker, i just forgot to grab that stuff when i was there. I should definately grab that stuff while it's still there. I was busy grabbing the p.s and alternator bracket off of a dsm, cause mine was bent from the accident. The guy only charged me 5 bucks so i didn't even bother factoring that into the price. I have probably spent 50 bucks so far in electricity, but that wasn't in the grassroots contest either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 am 
Some call me a god

Are you going to be able to make it to SIR on Aug 8th and 9th? The 8th is street legals and the 9th is Test & Tune, Fastest street car challenge.

I will be there, cage and all. There is going to be a few other talons there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

i'm not sure about august 8th specifically, i will probably have a lot of other crap going on that weekend. But i will be making it out to sir way sooner than that. I will probably make my first run sans intercooler, that will be the last thing on my list. And my list is getting shorter everyday. Just finished mounting the driveshaft tonight. I shortened and welded it up myself, i will get a shop to balance it later, i have done this twice before with no problems, we'll have to see how it works out. The car should be drivable by the end of this weekend.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next