4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:44 pm 

This is for my 89 Colt Vista 4WD

ok, So when I had the rear wheel off the ground, I could spin it like it didnt even have a diff back there. Is is sposed to be like this? I dont think it should.

Is there 2 vicous couplings in the rear diff of this car? I can spin the drive shaft freely aslo. Does anybody have a breakdown of the rear diff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:59 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Your front and rear diff are most definitely equipped with open differentials and as such both wheels will spin indepedently of one another while on jack stands off the ground. Your viscous coupling will give a torque split when traction is lost when the vehicle is on the ground, but only assuming you have 4wd engaged or however it is controlled in your particular application. I don't many people have the manuals to your specific vehicle. Did you look at the schematics for the 1G talon I posted to you. It will be vehicle similar to your setup. Find the parts under your car that match the Talon system like a viscous coupling and start putting the pieces together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 pm 

Yeah, I just looked at them. The thing is, Lets call this a RWD car with an open diff for the moment. You jack up one wheel, leave the other on the ground. When you turn the wheel that is off the ground, the drive shaft should move.

Mine does not move. Now if it is an open diff in the back, It should have turned the driveshaft.

Now, My car, when all wheels are on the ground, 4wd not engauged, I can spin the driveshaft freely. Now it will be "disconnected" from the the drivetrain in the front, but in the back, it should have a DIRECT connection to the Diff and wheels in the back. I dont think It should spin like that. unless there is some weird sort of locker back there.

Steve.

BTW, I am bidding on a Service manual on ebay for $15 Shipped. I think I will win that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:54 pm 
CSM Expert

Yep, from you description I think your suspicions are correct: blown or internally non-existent rear diff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 pm 

Does anybody know what rear diffs I can swap out too??? maybe the AWD galant diff??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:01 pm 

I found my problem! The Axle Shaft popped out. The other side works just fine, spinning the drive shaft. now I need to find a new axle shaft,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Hey Steve, Did you get that thing going yet? I was thinking maybe we could get together one day and knock it out!

Jesse