4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: AWD and A/C?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:35 pm 
CSM Junkie

:-? OK. I'm a wimp; but I WANT my AC. We made the eng. rear bar with out the motor in. Now we hung it up for fitment. Opps! The bar would go right through the AC compressor. Moving the rear bar is bad for effort, and it doesn't look like it would work well anyway. Also considering working out a "U" on the bar to clear the compressor. Doesn't look too operationally decent. Did anyone else keep their AC? We are contemplating switching the alternator and AC positions; any advice? (NO, of course we haven't got a plan yet. That's why I'm asking.) :ANAL:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:17 am 
Some call me a god

I seen this pic somewhere else on this forum and saved it for the thought I may want to build one.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7379217

There appears to be a mounting plate for the front engine mount, I am sure one could be fabricated for the rear mount too. It would clean up the engine bay a bit I think. It may be tricky trying to get the exhaust to clear the structure. I fabricated up my mounts without the rad mounts in place and the lower rad mounts are actually touching the front engine mount bar. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:51 am 
The Silent Administrator

Put a hoop in the cradle, but make is a half moon going up to clear the exhaust but still strong enough to make it not flex much as would have a straight piece of tubing. Rallyguy, chris burns made that part you see above for his rally car.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g61t/burns/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:56 am 
CSM Expert

My AC is retained just fine with the rear bar. My rear bar is in two pieces, one higher than the other to clear the AC lines, connected with two large bolts. Strengthen with angle iron, etc. I did not move the mounts that are welded to the frame.

This is using 1" box steel for the rear mount however. There's no way to do it with any larger.

See the picture below and pretend you're looking towards the rear of the car from the grille.

http://lilevo.com/lilevoawd/awdac.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thanks, guys. I can see the ground protection bar for a rally car, but I can't figure it for my purpose. Evo's idea holds promise. Readily makeable without re-engineering the belts and appliance positions. I had been thinking of boosting the compressor height with angled 1" sq. tubing connected to the compressor and block with welded bosses, but Lil Evo's idea is better. Just thinking here, but I may consider raising the bar at either end.
So, Colt, do you still have the A/C? I wouldn't think you would want it up there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Nope, no a/c. I have it in the lancer and f-150 and honestly only use it about 5 days a year if I am lucky. I actually dont even have the heater core hooked up in the colt, I kinda damaged it when I did the awd stuff so it never got replaced.

Post subject: Re: AWD and A/C?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Just to get old problems coverd. I got the A/C arranged. Took out the rear mount bar, made a couple of cuts, and rewelded to make a short off-set angle to move one side (passenger) back toward the firewall. Then cut out the old mount bracket and welded in a new one where the bar lined up just forwrd of the firewall.
You can see the off-set. How about that brake booster art? :twisted: (I hope this works out. I can't seem to get an easy handle on the "properties" for transfer.) :evil:

Let's try this:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:10 am 
The Silent Administrator

Looking good Bill. Attention to detail appears to be high on your list, but we already figured it would go something like that for you. :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:00 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

Bill, you are the craziest/coolest old guy i know. good to see the good progress on your car!

- Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Bill, you are the craziest/coolest old guy i know. good to see the good progress on your car! :snakeman: You got that right Paul. When this is all over, I think I'm gonna take a victory lap arounfd the America's (that includes Canada), but don't hold me to it!
Oh! By the way, are you still getting those late night dialogs with some weird chicks at night? (I remember one that you left for viewing.)

- Paul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:24 pm 
4g61t Delinquent

off topic:
haha lol no i upgraded to handjobs in the walmarts parking lot at 3am after leaving the local bars LOL.

but anyways i've been with someone for almost 5 months now.

:ontopic:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 am 
CSM Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :yawinkle: