4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:03 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hi Im new on the forum and currently I have a wreced AWD TSI 1995 with some chassis problems so I have been thinking to get a 1989 Colt and put the engine and AWD into the Colt chasis, Im doing some research at the moment and just saw a post were it says its not possible so I understand that the 2G is wider but is it really impossible or its just a pain in the ass cuz if its duable then fine with me cuz dont have to buy the AWD system and I just need to swap everything, Im a Noob with Colts but I do know my 4G63T so thats no problem my question is just about the 2G AWD system into a Mitsubishi Colt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:12 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Hi Im new on the forum and currently I have a wreced AWD TSI 1995 with some chassis problems so I have been thinking to get a 1989 Colt and put the engine and AWD into the Colt chasis, Im doing some research at the moment and just saw a post were it says its not possible so I understand that the 2G is wider but is it really impossible or its just a pain in the ass cuz if its duable then fine with me cuz dont have to buy the AWD system and I just need to swap everything, Im a Noob with Colts but I do know my 4G63T so thats no problem my question is just about the 2G AWD system into a Mitsubishi Colt.

I don't think anyone has tried doing a 2g AWD swap into a 3rd-Gen CSM. I think it's a more feasable swap in the 4th-Gen cars (93-96). The 2g engine doesn't share the same mounting as the 1g engine, and the rear-ends are totally different between the 1g and the 2g DSM's. It may be possible, but you'd be on your own as far as the fabrication is concerned.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:32 am 
Restricted Newbie

bassicaly Im looking for a new project but wana keep my AWD and engine and getting into something new after I discover there is no way back with the chassis on my TSI (...long story) so then I would have to look for a 92-96 Colt....I have been reading most of the post on this section of the forum and yes I have notice that everybody use the 91 DSM AWD so I would have to figure out how to make things work, I would try to look for a 1G AWD to do the job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:13 am 
CSM Expert

as everyone says, it's possible, but only with enough time, talent and money. we stay away from the 2g engines because they just don't bolt up. the csm engine bay is almost identical to a 1g engine bay in mounting locations and such. mitsu changed around the mounts (and may have flipped the engine, i don't remember, it's too late to think). it's just so much easier for us to use 1g engines and drop them in then use 2g engines and custom fabricate the mounts and whatever else that needs to be done (not to mention that whole crankwalk issue). i'd stick to either finding a 1g engine or another 2g chassis. just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am 
Restricted Newbie

thanks for the advice but would like to get that 1G AWD DSM and put the AWD and 4G63T into the Colt due to weight cuz DSMs are fat bitches....talon tsi awd , 3200lbs fruit and banana heavy, the Colt with 4G63T and AWD could be 2500 I guess not that much, but yea Im going for the Colt project :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:00 am 
The Silent Administrator

Most stock Colt Turbo's weigh in around 2300-2500 lbs depending upon fuel and driver weight, as add for drivetrain weight gain and/or subtract from their for weight loss (stripping parts, or just starting with a non-turbo shell = less weight due to fewer braces from the factory).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:25 am 
Some call me a god

Ive put an entire 2G fwd turbo motor in a 1G and the only problem you run into is the front mount. The rear of the 2G engine has the holes for the rear bracket but on the front there missing. The Tranny side mount just needs slight modification.