4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: AWD Costs?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:11 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Does anyone have a good documented breakdown of how much it cost to do an awd conversion?

My friends and I are looking for possible ideas for a new GRM challenge car and need some basic info on costs and such so we might be able to plan one of these out.

Thanks for the input,

-Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:42 pm 
CSM Expert

$50 in box steel and angle iron?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:51 am 
Nobody Important

The real cost is time and skill. Parts are cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:52 am 
Restricted Newbie

well we have the skill or at least the time to learn and develop it, are there any checklist type things available of what is required for the swap?

I cant afford to purchase that dvd right now, but if we decide on this then we will do that definitely, however right now we are brainstorming/planning and need to be able to ask for parts in the funding stages as this is a school group and we do get some money from Drexel

So anyone with possibly an excel sheet with parts list or check list which i could then do my own pricing search

Also maybe some insight on the cost of some of the donor vehicles so we can look into that as well

any info helps,

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:43 am 
Some call me a god

I just picked up a 92 colt hatch for 300 bucks at a local auction, running and driving and inspected. I'm thinking I can find a 1g dsm that's been wrecked or motor needs some work about for about 500. Total build cost for me will be less then 3g's! That's with a built bottom end (ross/eagle) and fmic. I'm just piecing it together right now. Check ebay every other day or so, I've found a couple steals on there. Fidanza flywheel for 120 shipped, basicly brand new.

edit, i lied... the build with a built bottom end would be around 4k. But I forgot to mention I'm not doing awd.

Last edited by fastvtgsx on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:15 pm 
Some call me a god

I'll set up mine so everyone has an idea of what it can cost. The format of my description will be a little unorganized because I'm kinda going in order of when I purchased parts and did fab work/installs of the parts:

My complete subframe, driveshaft, differential + axles, trans/tcase I had lying around from my bros wrecked 1g. But I'll lay out the costs of the parts that are normally paid anyways.

The cost of a complete subframe plus the 4 bolt diff/axles/cups can easily retail for around ~$500

Driveshaft ~$50 + $150 for cutting/balancing = $200
Trans/tcase ~$400

I went with a 12gal JAZ cell, so an external bosch 044 pump and -6an feed/return lines were needed. ~$375

Koni rear struts plus custom two piece urethane bushings ~$285
Rear Eibach springs plus ebay sleeve coilovers ~$150

1.5 x 1.5 Thick walled box tubing for diff brace fabrication, and for front subframe mounts, plus the 1.5" dia thick walled tubing for the front and rear motor mount fabrication ran me around $60

6'x6' piece of 22 gauge sheetmetal for covering spare tire well cutout ~$50

Five lug conversion up front = all new wheel bearings and seals, rotors and pads plus $50 for machining the 5 lug hubs so they fit the FWD colt wheel bearings ~$200

Welding wire ~$22
Nuts/bolts/misc other stuff such as drill bits ~$25

Full exhaust (had the 3" DP already), but ultraflow muffler, tubing and resonator ran me around $150

Right now thats about all I can think of, looking at $2417 for the total of the prices I posted for my AWD install, not to mention all the OTHER parts I decided to install along with this build, such as BC 280s, BC springs/retainers, new FMIC, new 2.5" thick 3 core honda aluminum radiator, Kosei K1 wheels + tires, 6 puck unsprung ACT disk, SMIM, adjustable cam gears.

I don't want to add those prices up because I'll start to cringe. Anyways, if i think of anything else I'll add it. Good luck on everyone's builds.

-Jason