Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:30 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Quote:
2130 w/driver.Car was in E trim.
Wtf, it weighs that much and it's AWD? Did you swiss-cheese the whole thing?
It's just shell ,motor and dash plastic.Doesnt have all the heavy front arms and shocks like the turbo version.Even the swap bar is smaller.I can almost pickup the rear myself.ALMOST without pulling my Peepee muscle.
Oh and two seats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:49 pm 
Some call me a god

Crap man, thats lighter than the fwd :o ... I think they are around 2300 pounds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:17 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Crap man, thats lighter than the fwd :o ... I think they are around 2300 pounds.
A factory Turbo Mirage/Colt is almost 2,500lbs curb weight. Not sure about the base-model cars, but I know they are a good amount lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
A factory Turbo Mirage/Colt is almost 2,500lbs curb weight. Not sure about the base-model cars, but I know they are a good amount lighter.

that must be you guys with all that power windows and sunroof, because my car was only weigh like 2350 before i put the 4g63 in. i have no sunroof or power windows, and plus now i have removed alot of stuff from the car.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
that must be you guys with all that power windows and sunroof, because my car was only weigh like 2350 before i put the 4g63 in. i have no sunroof or power windows, and plus now i have removed alot of stuff from the car.
Yeah, I'm assuming that's fully optioned-out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:15 pm 

Jenny Craig aint got shit on me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Sunroofs were all aftermarket (even mine), so they'd be extra, extra weight not accounted for on the door jamb placard. I can see the power window regulators being somewhat heavy, but by far the heaviest bits are the AC and related bits, and the full turbo setup hanging off a block and top end that are much larger than the 4g15 counterparts, piece for piece. We trade off power for more front end weight. :o :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:50 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sunroofs were all aftermarket (even mine), so they'd be extra, extra weight not accounted for on the door jamb placard. I can see the power window regulators being somewhat heavy, but by far the heaviest bits are the AC and related bits, and the full turbo setup hanging off a block and top end that are much larger than the 4g15 counterparts, piece for piece. We trade off power for more front end weight. :o :(

ya i removed the whole a/c system, power steering, heater core and everything else i don't need.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

i see some awd csm's that weigh around 2650 w driver, but cant u get an awd 1g down to around that??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:17 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i see some awd csm's that weigh around 2650 w driver, but cant u get an awd 1g down to around that??
Sure you can, but those 1g's have Carbon-Fiber or fiberglass hoods, hatches, and sometimes doors. A lot of them have lexan in the rear hatch or the doors as well, and completely gutted interiors. If you did all that weight reduction to a CSM it could be a lot lighter, but most people don't go that far because the parts don't really exist for CSM's and everything has to be custom-made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:00 am 
Some call me a god

Our Red 1G was 2725 with Driver, NO fiberglass parts and NO lexan. Just the heater core and most the stuff under the dash and rear carpet and seat removed, No bumper supports, and some base model roll up window doors. This car still apeared to be street and it was in the 2500 lbs range. Maybe a CSM is just a Fat pig we dont know about?? FWD DSMs can be in the 2200s pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:32 am 
The Silent Administrator

The hatch is the biggest hurdle for all these cars, whether CSM or DSM. The hatch has to be the single most heavy part on the whole vehicle short of the engine block.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:48 am 
Restricted Newbie

2750lbs. 92 4 door awd swap. w/o driver. 1/2 tank gas, nitrous bottle, stand alone fuel system for nitrous, aluminum

firewall behind rear seats, full interior, a/c, power steering. nothing removed or lightened. almost as light as a gutted evo 8,

not bad in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:32 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
The hatch is the biggest hurdle for all these cars, whether CSM or DSM. The hatch has to be the single most heavy part on the whole vehicle short of the engine block.
The hatch doesn't weigh much, Its the glass thats heavy, especially with the defogger option.