4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

I'm getting the tranny rebuilt. I have a choice for a limited slip differential of Quaife(the gold standard) at $1,200(too much); KTP(?) at $750; or phantom grip at $125(cheap enough, but...)Does anybody have some info.? I tried Goggle and Ask, but the responses were no help.

Last edited by Bill Spruill on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

A friend of mine has the phantom grip in his fwd talon. He says it's kinda hit or miss. Sometimes he hooks up, others he just peg legs. You usually get what u pay for. more$=better parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:02 am 
CSM Junkie

And the answer is: Kormex Transmission Parts, a Canadian company (why does that make me feel better?). Their lsd is actually made by Quaife.
On a related note, for those who are NOT intellectually challenged, there is a great article on Mitsu. AWD systems at: www.stealth316.com/2-awd2.htm It is rather long and detailed. NOT a quick read. But the overview is quick and basically informative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:49 am 
CSM Expert

Is the KTP an LSD or a Torsen? LSD's are fine for the rear diff but they load up the steering too much to be practical in the front diff IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:10 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

"weld it" as long as you have power steering. With good struts and power steering the car will go straight as a arrow. I drove mine everyday without any issues. And the price is right.

Check out this old vid of my car and look how I am not holding onto the steering wheel for dear life like I used to with it being open.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6d18 ... fc1b2f.htm

If you watch the end of the video just before the subaru goes boom you can see PTTcolt's car doing the funky sideways dance that open diff and no power steering can do.

87 Conquest TSi, Coilover, huge sways
01 Dodge 2500 4wd cummins (tow rig)
91 Suzuki Samurai (Rock Crawler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 pm 
My Colt turbo has a SBR(slow boy racing) lsd(phantom grip copy) that is very good quality(actually made in Toronto), and it works very well. The only concern that I see, is when you power out of a corner, instead of the inside wheel going up in smoke, the car now wants to run wide as both wheels are being powered equally. So its easy to get pulled towards the opposite side off the track :-? . I'm not sure how a quaiffe would react in the same situation, but when I need a clutch in the PT GT, I want to install one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:52 am 
CSM Expert

The only problem with a welded front diff is that if you break a driveshaft in the 1/4 depending on which side breaks will send you either into the wall or across the line into the path of your competitor! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

[quote="gsx"]"weld it" as long as you have power steering. With good struts and power steering the car will go straight as a arrow.

Well, "straight" is fine, but if you do autocross, track time attack, and/or road course, you NEED quick positive turns. (But WOW, I loved the video.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:48 am 
CSM Expert

The Quaifes are expensive but they are reliable and have next to zero drawbacks when compared to a clutch-pack LSD or a Phantom Grip style device.

I've driven a few FWDs with clutch-pack LSDs and they were all HORRIBLE! Chatter and bucking at low speeds when tight cornering, nasty heavy steering when cornering and accelerating at the same time.

In all the Quaife torsen diffs are definitely worth the $450 premium they attract over the regular LSDs IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:04 pm 

i have a kaaz in my colt and its great.

gear type diff's are good if you don't mind losing traction whenever one wheel comes off the ground...(ie road racing or auto-xing)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:08 pm 
CSM Expert

That is no longer an issue. The Torsen II diffs have a small preload which prevents that from happening.

Plus if you lift a front wheel you have bigger problems than traction of which more power to the wheels will not help you!