4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:31 am 

I'm in the process of converting a 94 Elantra to AWD. I'm thinking since this car already comes with the correct block and engine mounts I should be able to make the F/R custom crossmembers and roll stops while this engine is still in the car.

Should I take out the FWD tranny and put the AWD tranny in first or would it be OK to just use the FWD tranny as my mock up and just be sure to leave plenty of room for the transfer case? It would be nice to get all this stuff mocked up before pulling the 1.8 out for sure.

Lastly, what are you guys using for the tranny mount? Did the Colt/Mirage turbo tranny mount fit right on the AWD tranny or did you have to cut and reweld it or redrill different mounting holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:03 pm 
Some call me a god

I put the AWD trans in first, since i was making my rear mount solid metal. I also took the intake manifold off, and master Cyl. off for some extra room making the rear mount.

i used all original turbo colt mounts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:23 pm 

Quote:
I put the AWD trans in first, since i was making my rear mount solid metal. I also took the intake manifold off, and master Cyl. off for some extra room making the rear mount.

i used all original turbo colt mounts
That's what I was thinking as well. Probably not a good idea to skimp on this part only to have to redo it later when the AWD tranny goes in.

So you didn't have to modify the turbo Colt tranny mount at all? You just unbolted it from the FWD tranny and bolted it on the AWD tranny and everything lined up perfectly? What about the tranny mount that bolts to the frame rail? Did you have to modify it at all?

I wonder why the FWD and AWD DSM's use a different tranny mount? Because their frame rail mounts are the same part #. The difference is in the metal mount that bolts directly to the tranny. This makes me wonder how the CSM's can use the same mount for FWD and AWD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 pm 
Some call me a god

I didnt know they were different. haha. But yes, i just bolted it up the the AWD trans. and everything is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:03 pm 
Some call me a god

On the fwd and awd tranny mounts I had, they were different. On one of them the plate with the two bolt holes that goes on the tranny was flat (one piece of metal with no bends) and the other mount had a bend in it to match the un-even holes on the tranny. The awd one had the bend or step in it. Here is a crappy pic of the first one that I made for me, it kinda shows the bend in the bottom of the mount. And the one that came off the colt was totally flat between the two holes. I made this because I could not find a stock one for sale, and since changed the mount and made it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:34 pm 

Quote:
I didnt know they were different. haha. But yes, i just bolted it up the the AWD trans. and everything is good.
So the tranny looks straight in the engine bay and everything with the FWD mount?

Colt200: I don't see any pics :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:42 pm 
Some call me a god

i have an empty awd trans case i can ship you (you pay shipping of course) that you can have for mock up etc... its just 900 pounds lighter.

lemme know.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:20 pm 

Quote:
i have an empty awd trans case i can ship you (you pay shipping of course) that you can have for mock up etc... its just 900 pounds lighter.

lemme know.
I appreciate the offer but I have one as well. Thanks anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:53 pm 
Some call me a god

Crap, sorry about that, try this again
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6285194