4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

[quote="BCPerformance"] I bought new mirage cables thinking everything would line up perfectly, and to my dismay, the colt transmission shifter bracket is spread a little wider then the DSM one. Thus when the cables go on they would not be even, close together./quote] I am not sure that I understand exactly what you are saying, but the DSM cables are a little longer than the Colt/Mirage cables. I plan to use the DSM ones because I know that the CSM cables would not reach that distance, Do not understand the need to have the cables closer together, if that's what you mean. And, hey, nothing wrong with anal. :butthead: I'm in that boat.
FORGET what I just said about the shifter. I re-checked myDSM vs CSM shifters. I was wrong. I will have to think it again when I get that far. :evil:

Last edited by Bill Spruill on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:51 pm 

nice work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 am 

When I get a chance I will show you guys what I mean by the shifter cables... According to the USPS the mounts have arrived at my dad's in MA. Clutch pedal setup should be close behind. Probably resume work next week as I have a little time off planned for the end of this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:06 pm 

that engine bay looks like new

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 pm 

So not much to show here, spent some time sandblasting some various parts and repainting them. I will eventually do this with just about everything. These pictures are horrible so I apologize. Believe it or not the shifter hardware is just sanblasted and painted with some high temp clear. The mounts are painted with actual body quality paint so they look amazing!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Great job man. I like all the pics with out all the talk. :drinkers:

'17 Fiesta ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:02 pm 

Okay, so I got down to a little of my own personal business today... I took a small gamble welding the shifter box mount without the transmission in, and knew this could come back to bite me in the ass! Long story short, I need to weld new brackets as the current ones place the shifter cables about an inch and a half shy of the shifter arms. Also note the addition of the GVR4 wagon wheels in a nice contrasting shade of "ricer" white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:58 pm 

Got some good progress made today. I first installed my new clutch pedal assembly which had arrived on friday. It is a completely custom deal, and anyone looking to go from an auto to manual gearbox, this is the way to do it. All new parts for not much money, and a custom (bolt in) bracket makes it extremely robust and simple. Followed up with adjusting the shifter box forward. With the mock-up engine and transmission in place I choose to go with a 90 dsm shifter bracket to utilize the offset from the new factory mirage shifter cables. Everything looks really nice and except the broken shifter fork in the transmission, it shifts into all gears. Everything is basically ready to roll. The car will start it's life as a front driver before I go to AWD. I just want to get all the bugs worked out before i tackle the rearend installation. Hope you all enjoy. If anyone needs anything that i'm doing, let me know while it's fresh in my head...

P.S. with my size 16 feet i kinda like the auto pedal. I may cut it down and fix the asthetic issues, but it may prove worthwhile for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:56 pm 
CSM Junkie

Hey Brian,

I have size 21 feet, and am wondering how the hell you live with those pedals at only 16? I'm struggling with my 4G mirage's stock setup, and will probably need to cut and angle them farther apart soon :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:05 am 

Hey... Brad you are too big for that car... When we are done I'll take it home... I'll give you my 1G. LOL.
We have made nice progress with it :axe: .
I hope we can get it ready for the shootout. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:12 am 

Just wondering how the custom clutch pedal would work any better than a stock hydro clutch pedal? Does it push more fluid or something? Either way, props to trying something different =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:55 am 

The aftermarket master cylinder has an aluminum body with stainless cylinder liner, very similar to the stock design. I maintained the stock piston size as well. I do not know if has a longer stroke, you really don't want to play with the size of the cylinder too much as a small change in diameter can create a drastic increase or decrease in required pedal force. Obviously there is much more to take into account like pedal ratio and such, I was just shooting to use something that was similar to stock and all new. It wasn't too much of a pain to install, and will now allow me to plumb directly with an hardlines/braided lines. Basically it's a pretty nice/easy alternative to searching for the proper stock parts and dealing with 10-15 years of use and abuse. Again, anyone looking for something similar, I would be more then happy to put together a conversion kit of some kind that would get the entire job done and bolted into the car. The only modification to the chassis will require a hole in the firewall to mount a -3 bulkhead fitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:41 am 

4 bolt rear and VR4 donor car :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:34 pm 
Some call me a god

Wow i actually recognized that VR4. It was for sale a while back on the VR4board. No interior, seats, dashboard. You prolly got it for less than a grand.

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:50 pm 

Quote:
Wow i actually recognized that VR4. It was for sale a while back on the VR4board. No interior, seats, dashboard. You prolly got it for less than a grand.
I was actually selling it, so yes... I got it for free!