4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: which car
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

hey everyone,

looking to start an awd project and just wondering what car to use. im in aussie, and we dont get the colts that u guys seem to be doing up. we do have the 4 door mirage though the CA and CB (89 - 92 i think) and newer (we call it a lancer, only the 2 door hatch CC model we call the mirage). so i was thinking of doing a 92 lancer/mirage. however i thought i would like to do a newer car and have always liked the Hyundai Scoupe and the 1990 - 1992 series 1 has the same 1.5L engine and chasis as the CC lancer/mirage coupe (the curvy 2 door 1993 car). since these still use the mitsubishi engine one the same side etc, would it be much harder to do these cars? not many scoupes here have been done up, almost none beyond the rims and exhaust stage.

also iknow u guys use talon/eclipse awd running gear a lot of the time right? well these are just more cars we dont get here... so i wanna use evo I - III running gear - any comments on getting this to work? i know the scoupe is like 960kg which is about 2100lb, and the 1993 CC lancer coupe/mirage is almost exactly the same. after the conversion and some weight loss, i should be able to keep the weight about the same as the original car. only 1 person i know of has done the awd conversion on the scoupe - and its not yet complete. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359272

i have looked over this website heaps and have seen how its all done. something like that here is australia would be absolutly awesome and will rly show a lot of those falcon and commodore drivers where its at.

oh and one last thing (sorry for the long post), after looking on some american sites, parts over there as soo much cheaper than over here. however u guys have LHD where we have RHD. with regards to the engine and drivetrain etc etc, would that make any difference? im thinking the transmision would be different as the pedals are on the other side.

again so sorry for such a long post - but will apprieciate any help. am also gunna get the dvd from lilevo soon too i hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You will have to fabricate mounts (engine bay and rear subframe locations), and the rear subframe on the scoupe is not quite identical to your Lantra's of the same vintage. Hyundai used their own built - Mitsu knockoff - motor in the Scoupe, but I don't know what you guys received overseas, as that is what we got here.

Are you a good welder, or have access to a buddy that doesn't mind spending whole weeks under your car? This will be breaking new ground and unless you've done this a few times, there will be no quick answers for the most part. Soem stuff we can tell you based on sensible theory, but you are honestly the first person I can put a name to, that has asked about swapping this setup into a Scoupe. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:34 am 
Restricted Newbie

the series 1 scoupe had the mitsubishi 4G15 engine in it and as far as i know the drivetrain is the same as the CC lancer/mirage coupe. i'm trying to do some research into all that now.

the series 2 scoupe had the updated front and rear end had the hyundai alpha 1.5L engine (which there was also a turbo form) that was mounted on the opposite side and therefore no good to me.

the mitsubishi i was talking about, and which i understand shares much if not all its mechanicals with is this car:

BTW this isnt my car, i found the pic on the net.

I'm alright with welding, but i will be getting a mate to help out who has much more experience.

any other thoughts on the scoupe/lancer/mirage swap instead of the older mirage/lancer

oh and if someone could please tell me the models im refering to that u guys use lol. over here the colt was discontinued (until recently) in 1988 i think. we had the 4 door sedan we call the lancer. the 2 door version in 1992 was called the lancer as well and when the CE lancer came out, the hatch 2 door version was called the mirage. i dont know though what u guys call the different models (CA, CB, CC, CE etc etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:20 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Doing a lancer CC would be simpler since you have acess to EVo 1-3 parts. The rear trailing arms bolt on so you would just need to make a diff mount. IF you just picked up a evo 1-3 or a gsr with the 93t it would be somewhat simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:40 am 
Restricted Newbie

i know im asking a lot, but do you know anyone who has done this before or a rough guide of what parts i need exactly? as i said, parts here are very expensive and i would rather get the research done properly and get only the parts that i need, rather than a bunch of parts and picking bits of them all. if it turns out that under the car the scoupe is the same, i think i will do that instead, as it is rarer here, otherwise the CC lancer would be good.

anyone got some suggestions for a shopping list? i think i can get the rear end assembly, inc brakes etc for the evo III for $1000, i will find out exactly what is in it though.

im very sure that the evo is wider than the lancer and scoupe, so i gotta choose between wide guards or somehow shortening the axles - i know you guys do it with the driveshaft, so in theory the same applies to the axles?

ok so i need the engine, custom mounts, gearbox, transfer case, driveshaft, rear hub assembly, rear axle setup, anything else? what about ecu and wiring?

i wanna make sure that this is done properly the 1st time round rather than experimenting (well as little experimenting as possible hahaha!)

thanks for all your help!!!
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:27 am 
The Silent Administrator

This is the stuff you need to see:

(now that I know what type of car you are swapping)

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/lancerproject_1.htm
http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/lancerproject_2.htm
http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/lancerproject_3.htm

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/awdlancernotes.htm

http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/BigDiskConversion.htm

Parent directory info:
http://www.pixcl.com/summitgtx/

Search words for future reference:
Pixcl.com
Pixcl
Big Disk Conversion
Awd Lancer Notes
Lancer Project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:07 am 
Restricted Newbie

thankyou soo much Flying eagle - exactly the sort of information im looking for!!! i will for now study all of this and see what i can learn from it. in the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions on what i would need to know, please post here.

as i said, i want to make sure i have all my bases covered.

thanks!!
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:38 am 
Restricted Newbie

mabey a stupid question, but in the US what sort of price would i be looking at for all the parts needed for the conversion? trying to work out if it would be cheaper to get parts from the US ($400 to post it here to my doorstep from there) or to source the gear here in australia (same sorta postage suprisingly) or japan (not sure on prices there...). i have emailed a few people over in the US, but am waiting on replies.

also would the transmission tunnel where the exhaust and driveshaft go be big enough? the guy i know that is doing an awd conversion on his scoupe has actually welded the tunnel from an eclipse or soemthing in place of the standard tunnel. any thoughts??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 am 
Restricted Newbie

hey sorry to keep bumping my own post. just got confirmation that even though the CC laner and scoupe are very similar at the rear, they do have some differences. and i dont think that im prepared to risk starting the project, getting to that stage and finding its going to involve more work or money that i thought (i already realise it will go over budget anyway most probably - hope for the best, expect the worst hahaha)

so i will go with the CC lancer. any confirmation that i should be looking for an evo I-III engine and all its gear? or would a US car (eclipse etc), be better suited?