4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Fuel Filler problems
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:40 pm 
CSM Expert

So I had issues with the gas pump overflowing after a gallon or so. I INCREASED the slope into the gas tank and it STILL overflows after a gallon or so. WTF.

Here are some pictures
http://www.lilevo.com/lilevo2/gasfiller/

What is the problem here? Do I need an even greater angle into the tank? The rubber hose and metal couplers are all stock fuel filler parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Fluid might not be evacuating or is backing up in the overflow chamber - the small tube. I don't know what a good solution may be, but compare the tube position/orination to stock models, and see what may be different with regards to tubing locations and there orientation to one another. It must be simple issue. I've heard that the new generation of Mustang owners have had brutal problems trying to fill their 2004+ cars at the gas pumps. Some pumps are finicky and pump faster than others, but that depends upon calibration, and the other factor is how much the filler system can evacuate compared to the quantity being pumped in.
Decisions, decisions .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:54 pm 
CSM Expert

The tank is basically on "E" when I tried filling up the past few times so the gas must be pooling up somewhere in the filler tube. It has to be that last bend into the tank.

The smaller tube is never wet with gas since it's at the very top of the tank. (I pulled it off today) That's basically there for the air the gas pushes out of the tank as the gas goes in. Think of a 5 gallon gas canister with the air hole at the back of the canister.

Like the pump doesn't just click and shut off when fluid reaches the top. It overflows, spills all over, and then clicks off. Happens at every gas station I go to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:07 pm 
The Silent Administrator

:-? Well, design may be the biggest factor then; it just might be able to evacuate the amount of fluid coming in, but I'm surprised the pump does not click off. It's pressure hitting the pump feed orifice that gets it to turn off right? Gas station physics 101 eh. :lol: Anyone know the science behind the gas station pump kick off feature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Anyone know the science behind the gas station pump kick off feature?
BAM!

http://www.pa.msu.edu/~sciencet/ask_st/122591.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:32 am 
Some call me a god

The only thing I noticed was the smaller line was labelled "not for fuel use". If the gas were to get up to the top of the filler neck it should shut the pump down. The last one I looked at had a tiny tube inside of the nozzle, this is the sensing line for the shutoff.

I would do as already mentioned, and compare to some stock awd talons. See how many bends are in that setup, maybe there should be a sharper bend closer to the fuel cap.

P.S. - I would still rather live with a slow filling setup compared to driving around with the windows down after filling up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:33 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm going to assume it's because its totally on E.I would have that problem if it was hot and on E.But it wasn't AWD specific.It happened on my Armada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Are there only two hoses that connect to the tank - by this I mean fuel to and from the motor - there isn't a vent to the charcoal canister being blocked off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:21 pm 
CSM Expert

-Hose out of pump
-Return from fuel rail
-Small hose to filler
-Large gas filler
-Line to canister (on tank) is taped/blocked off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm 
The happy administrator

Is the tank vented? Try closing it off a little so there's more pressure to go to the kick off switch in the pump.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:57 pm 
CSM Expert

SO will it fill slowly without overflowing?

Also I like how the lines you installed say" not for fuel" on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 am 
CSM Expert

Blah, I'm pretty sure they say "not for fuel injection use" which would imply high pressure use.

I installed a 2" mandrel bend at the tank, re-adjusted the remaining filler hose, and used 2" hose half the way up. The filler *still* overflows. I can fill roughly 1 gallon before the pump clicks off. I have to then wait approximately 5-10 seconds and fill another 1 gallon. Repeat x 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:11 pm 
Some call me a god

did you stuff a rag in the neck while you were installing the tank and forgot about it? thats the only thing i can think of.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:13 pm 
CSM Expert

Nope. Unless it has something to do with the tank outlet to the charcoal canister or not being able to create positive air pressure out of the vapor line. I'm out of ideas.

Anyone else with the AWD swap using a stock gas tank? Any problems filling it up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Blah, I'm pretty sure they say "not for fuel injection use" which would imply high pressure use.

I installed a 2" mandrel bend at the tank, re-adjusted the remaining filler hose, and used 2" hose half the way up. The filler *still* overflows. I can fill roughly 1 gallon before the pump clicks off. I have to then wait approximately 5-10 seconds and fill another 1 gallon. Repeat x 10.
There's a vent line with a one way check valve [blue little thingy] Do you have it installed so it allows fumes to vent TOWARDS the front of the car?

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale