4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:56 am 
CSM Junkie

WOW ! moving right along. good work
do you have some detailed pics on how you mounted the front of the subframe? it looks like there are a few different ways being used by different folks. and what shock spring setup did you go with?

again great work at this rate you'll be All wheelin next weekend.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:57 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
how come you have a 4 lug studs? cuz i have nice wheels that are 4 lug wheels and i dont wanna sell them if i dont have too.
GVR4 hubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:06 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
how come you have a 4 lug studs? cuz i have nice wheels that are 4 lug wheels and i dont wanna sell them if i dont have too.
GVR4 hubs
gvr4 are 4 lugs? wow i didnt know that seeing how i owned every dsm besides a gvr4, you learn something new everyday,lol. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:10 am 
CSM Junkie

could you get ones that are not gvr4's? maybe a not-turbo galant or something simlar? i would have to check my local junkyard ill probably find something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:14 am 

I got a hold of some VR4 hubs. slaped 'em on there and was able to use my slip streams. Umm For the front of the sub frame... First you take out the old suspension and are left with this:

You have to cut it all out so it looks like this:

then I put the sub frame up in there and tacked plates to the sides, like this:

Then I boxed those plates in and then I bolted those triangle mounts to the subframe as raised it, of course after alligning the entire thing and measuring everything 1,000times. Tacked the triangles to the plates then lowered the sub frame and filled everything in, like this:

I have Koni Yellows in the rear and am using the stock 1g awd springs. I think I want to try and raise the rear a little bit more. will probably make spacers between the top of the strut assembly and the body. The method I used for making the mount in the front of the subframe are the same that RedSleeper used. He's that one I got alot of info from. really Cool guy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:39 am 
CSM Junkie

thanks for the pics man. i was curious because i seen people use the same method for the front as the rear..(square tubing)
good stuff. ready for a test drive or what ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:25 pm 

Quote:
thanks for the pics man. i was curious because i seen people use the same method for the front as the rear..(square tubing)
good stuff. ready for a test drive or what ? :D

yeah no prob, I dont know how the hell they fit square tubing in there for the front, unless they hang the front of the sub frame pretty low. also I would think it would interfere with driveshaft clearance. I guess I would have to take a second look at it. Its not ready to drive yet, but should be after this week end. Still in FWD mode though. I've got a bunch of little things to do here and there. Mostly brake stuff, and getting the gas tank back in and mounted. Next week I'm going to put in the tranny then get the driveshaft made. Along with making a new exhaust. Here is a link to all the pictures I have been posting along the way:

http://home.tiora.net/davidc/?path=Colt%2FAWD%20Swap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:33 pm 
CSM Expert

Without the 2 inches of space in there, the top of the subframe hits the body where the rear seat sits. Unless you cut all that out, I don't know how you got it to work out :)

Also, without that extra space in there, the driveshaft would be even more on an angle up into the diff, since it sits so high up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Without the 2 inches of space in there, the top of the subframe hits the body where the rear seat sits. Unless you cut all that out, I don't know how you got it to work out :)

Also, without that extra space in there, the driveshaft would be even more on an angle up into the diff, since it sits so high up.

Its close, very close. But does not hit. I used Dans Colt as a reference and measured distances and thickness ect. and applied that to mine. the diff points straight to the front, shouldn't be a big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:14 pm 
Some call me a god

All that i had to do, was beat the floor up about an inch or so. and everything clears now. didnt have to cut any of it at all. i need to get some pictures. i might go tonight :)

Get that bitch done. I wanna seee it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:35 pm 

So Yesterday and today I finished up the rear of the car. I cut out a piece of sheet metal to fit the trunk, and my fuel cell.

I also got all the brakes connected, as well as the Ebrake Cables. I used 1g awd rear calipers and kept the colt brake lines. I also mounted the fuel pump and connected all the lines.

When I finished everything I sprayed the bottom with undercoating to seal the deal! I'm fruit and banana pooped.

I drove the car down the street and back, Rolls fine, seemed to go straight, but I'm not going to take it any further untill it gets an allignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:06 pm 

So I worked on the car today again for a little bit. I decided it was time to install a lift kit in the rear. This Cholo style isn't really working for me.

so I decided to use some of the edea's I gathered on this forum.

and

I know, my welding really sucks so go easy!

Now that its on the car

I welded on a tad more support, I'm not low riding anymore! Wahoo!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:40 am 
2nd Banana

Wow Dave, you got busy tonight. Haha.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:54 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I don't know how you got it to work out :)
Keep in mind, Dave is a fruit and banana superhero.

'17 Fiesta ST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:38 am 

Alright guys! a little update here. My driveshaft is sent out to the driveline shop and is suposivly going to be done tomorrow in the afternoon. Onces that finished All that is left is the carrier bearing mount. As well as finishing up the exhaust that I've already started.

Pics of new exhaust.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next