4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: MY AWD colt write up.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:43 am 
Some call me a god

Well Hello most. I don?t really post here that much. My name is John, I drive an 89 original turbo Colt. It had the basics, 2.0, 16g, big fmic. And some supporting mods. It has been my everyday driver for the last 9 months. Only thing I dis-like about the whole ordeal, is tire spin. Anything under 100mph will smoke the tires. Soooooo? I decided to go ahead and order traction.. But not in the way most would. Instead of getting better tires. I decided, hell why not have AWD. So that was that. AWD it was. I work at a small shop here in southern ohio called Raceline fine tuned. And we had a 92 AWD laser in the back that had been sitting for almost 4 years I think. So I did my research and went and stripped the car of everything I needed. The engine, trans. Driveshaft. Rear diff. gastank. The sub assembly. You name it. I took it. Well enough about what I wanted to do.. here?s some pictures for you

Before.. It used to be pretty

It was a beauty huh.. Well what do you think about these pictures. They are from the first day of working on it. Took the stock rear axle out. The gas tank. And cut the rear floor pan out. And that was just the beginning.

I had a good start going.. Or so I thought. I put the rear sub assembly in there the next day to see what had to be cut. Or welded on for the mounting points. Here?s come pictures of that.

Heres a before.
and an after

I put the sub frame in, and tacket some things together.

And a wheel gap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:04 am 
Some call me a god

So here I thought I was on a role. Had most of this done in about 3 days. Man I?m rolling now. After 3 hours of measureing and scratching our heads. We got it all squared up. Perfect. I couldn?t ask for it to be better. Less then a 1/16th off from side to side. Wooo So I went to town welding and what not. Got the front sub frame mounts all boxed in. and there now in place. So I started on the rear ?boomerang? as some call it. I used the stock one. Just did some reinforcement to it.

I don?t have many pictures from this point tilll now. But I?ll still explain. I put the rear diff in the car. Bolted the axles up. Bolted the diff to the sub assembly. Everything is titties so far. We put the wheels on, and it sits back in the wheel wells about 1/2inch to and inch to far. Its not really noticeable. But hell I?ll take what I can.

As for a gas tank. Others have used fuel cells and what not. I tried spending as LEAST amount of money I could. So I just wedged the stock AWD tank in, and make a few mounting points. Heres some pictures

From the rear. It looks just like a stock AWD talon, the tank hangs about 2inchs below the rear bumper. Its looks good though . I do not have pictures of this. But I?ll work on them in the near future.

When you do the AWD conversion. You have to make your own front and rear motor mounts. The stock mounts are on a cross member that Is in the way of the t case. YAY another fun task.

I don?t have any good pictures of the rear mount. I?ll get those as well and update down the road. Here are some pictures of what I have now..

Tcase/reardiff
As of now its 90% done. The rear is finished. The tank is also. Oh yeah, and the motor mounts. All I need is to get the driveshaft shortened. And then get some -6 fuel line because the tank sits 3ft back then the factory did.

While it was apart I figured I?d upgrade..

The fmic I had was a bit small.. (22x7x3) So I upgraded to something a bit bigger
( 24x12x4.5) ?

the 16g just wasn?t cutting it either.. the turbo in the picture is a Garrett GT3076R, I also decided that wasn?t big enough, and sold it. I bought a GT35R. should make decent power.

Well there you have it. What I have been working on the past month now. I will update THIS thread as time and progress goes on.

Thanks for the time and space.. Comments and cash donations are always welcome. I accept paypal. Hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:04 am 
Some call me a god

Ppoooooooo

Last edited by Red Sleeper on Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:01 pm 
Some call me a god

Maybe move this to AWD tech?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:04 pm 
Seasoned Member

Why'd you fruit and banana up a GT!!???

J/K man. Looks good. Put up some more pics, especially of the rear motor mount and some of the other things you didn't snap pics of before.

How did you end up making the tunnel and mounts for the driveshaft?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:26 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Why'd you fruit and banana up a GT!!???

J/K man. Looks good. Put up some more pics, especially of the rear motor mount and some of the other things you didn't snap pics of before.

How did you end up making the tunnel and mounts for the driveshaft?
You dont need to make a tunnel for the driveshaft, the tunnel is already there. You DO have to notch out the rear of the tunnel for clearance though.

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:29 pm 
Seasoned Member

ahhhhhh. ic.

what ever happend to that red gt w/ the dsm rear in it that was sitting in that yard where i picked up mr.hyde??

i'm fixin to sign this paperwork geoff, just waiting for the call back from the recruiter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:17 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Looks killer dude. Now go paint all those parts and clean it up better. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:40 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
ahhhhhh. ic.

what ever happend to that red gt w/ the dsm rear in it that was sitting in that yard where i picked up mr.hyde??

you have pm.

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale