4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 am 
The Silent Administrator

Being moved, as soon as we find a good spot for AWD stuff. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:00 pm 

I've finished off my JDM 5spd in my 1.5L mirage VL. I'd like to go to a 5spd out of a DSM becuase I have 8 or so laying around. (Please no input on the cable vs hydraulic as I have that covered)

Questions are:

Drivers side axle, can I go with a NT DSM axle? I'm keeping the 1.5L for the now and I don't think the inner shaft carrier off the AWD will bolt any where on the 1.5L block.

Pass side axle, does or doesn't the DSM axle work? Red Sleeper posted in another thread around 2 years ago, the DSM axle worked on the pass side. See here:

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?se ... 37&t=19568

Hubs, say one or both dsm axles work, are the outer axle shafts compatible with the CSM hubs? or do I need to get DSM/GVR4 hubs? (In that case, I'd get GVR4 to keep the 4 lug)

Where is the difference taken up on the CSM? I find it interesting (according to this thread) that the drivers side AWD DSM CV axle fits and is identical to CSM turbo shaft. Yet, the pass side doesn't fit. Is this because of location of the engine/mounts for the 1.8L/2.0? In my case, would they fit? (1.5L with F5M33) My thought is that the bias of the engine/trans is towards teh drivers side which extends the drivers axle slightly, while eating up the tolerance on the pass side, leaving no romm to get the axle in there. (I haven't had a chance to grap a lower control arm from a DSM and check, but are they interchangeable? Is on longer than the other?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:20 pm 
CSM Expert

You need turbo colt axles the DSM ones wont work dont even try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:57 pm 

Yes, I found this out after I got the car together.

I've now got a 4G15 with a W5M33 behind it with a VCE to run FWD. I had to make a bracket to bolt the intermediate shaft to the 4G15. I used both the pass side and outer drivers side axle from a turbo CSM. The car was also a cable clutch trans so I had to make a gaget to change the motion of the cable to be the equivilent of the hydraulics. Works, but not the best modulation on the first go round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:21 pm 
CSM Expert

wow you went through way more bs thenb I would of. Stick a Fm in there and call it a day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:11 am 

I just got around to reading this thread and I didnt see anything about Vista axles. They are just as easy to find and their waayy thicker. Less problematic to break. I havent seen one break yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 pm 

HI guys! I'am the body with the blue colt fp3052 at the shootout!

My awd swap is also about 80% complete! Even if I put awd talon knuccles in front on my car can I use colt 89 turbo axle again for the driver and passenger sides?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:43 pm 
Some call me a god

You can still use the original turbo colt axles. I have the gvr4 front knuckles. same as the DSM ones. and tehy work fine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:06 pm 

Quote:
You can still use the original turbo colt axles. I have the gvr4 front knuckles. same as the DSM ones. and tehy work fine

Perfect thanks! When I'll have finish all the swap I'll post you somes pics hehe!

But just to give you a idea;

All bolts, bearings etc new of the dealer ( like for 600-700$ )
Prothane bushings subframe everywhere
Custom aluminium drive shaft from PST
RCI fuel cell setup in car
Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers suspension kit of lancer/mirage 92-96
Complet rear subframe sandblast and with flat black paint
Rear diff. 4 bolts lsd rebuilt
For sure five bolts conversion rear and front knuccles of talon 1g
Rear big brake of 1g and front 2g brake all caliper rebuilt, brembo discs and hawk pads
Whiteline Tab bushings in front
16x7 rota slipstream flat black
And maybe i'am not sure yet but 4 MT drag radial 26po( if they don't touch inside the fender in front) or 4 Hankook z212!

It looks like that but have a lots of others things not exactly for the awd swap like scirroco radiateur, chrome ceramic coating on turbo and manifold, sparco sprint seat for passenger side, rebuilt of my tranny with evo fourch and somes double synchro etc etc

And my friends who help me on my car for the custom jobs work like if the car is just exit the dealer! He is so crazy! Its the guys who have the colt mirage 93 of 8sec who come each years to the SO!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:08 pm 
Some call me a god

Yes.. i remember talking to you a few times.. I cant wait to see some pictures

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 am 

if you wnt to stick with stock dsm shafts, i know you have one turbo shaft, but if you want to use awd shafts then get your front A arms stretched 3/4 inch. that is what i did to mine, ss you get to use awd everything. and you get the same footing front and back.
just a idea for you
and if you can fab it is easy. i will send my pics

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:42 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Well on my 89colt colt now auto 4g63t im running a stock auto dsm passenger axle and it fits perfectly, and I havent quite figured out what im going to do on the drivers side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:38 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm running gst front hubs and I was breaking the inner cv . I had one on the driverside wiggle out on the freeway. In the past before the 5bolt hub swap, I could run the 4g61(c53) axles. Now I have gsx axles and they fit fine. No binding. These only fit if u swap to the gst or gsx front hub assy and notch the strut to push the hub assy out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:29 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I'm running gst front hubs and I was breaking the inner cv . I had one on the driverside wiggle out on the freeway. In the past before the 5bolt hub swap, I could run the 4g61(c53) axles. Now I have gsx axles and they fit fine. No binding. These only fit if u swap to the gst or gsx front hub assy and notch the strut to push the hub assy out.

any pics?

also i have a quick question. i have a 93 Hyundai Elantra GLS with the F4A22-2 i want to swap in the awd equal length front axle to get rid of torque steer. which drive side axle do i need and do i use the awd auto intermediate shaft?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:03 am 

Quote:
Pics of where to notch would be helpful. I'm running 1g awd front hubs and axles.