4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 pm 
CSM Expert

I still don't know how you guys run DSM axles. They are significantly longer than CSM turbo axles. Can anyone explain?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 pm 

I think the people successfully running the dsm axles are also using the dsm knuckles. They have a larger axle seal that allows the dsm axle to go in the knuckle further. The dsm axle won't slide in the csm knuckle because of the smaller inner axle seal. Other than that I have no idea what the difference would be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
I think the people successfully running the dsm axles are also using the dsm knuckles. They have a larger axle seal that allows the dsm axle to go in the knuckle further. The dsm axle won't slide in the csm knuckle because of the smaller inner axle seal. Other than that I have no idea what the difference would be.
I have it jack up on stands right now .Ill take pics as soon as i can.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:27 am 

ok i have an interesting post to add.

My car has a fwd turbo dsm tranny in it and gvr4 knuckles (they were in it when i bought the car)

When i got the car, it had 1 long drivers side axle going from the turbo fwd dsm tranny to the gvr4 knuckle. No idea what axle it was, but it was 1 solid long piece.

That just broke at the track so i replaced it with a 1g awd intermediate shaft and a carquest dodge colt gt axle (which both fit perfect btw) but i started thinking...that long axle had to be a fwd dsm axle right? so if a fwd dsm axle worked, why wouldnt an awd dsm axle work?

Anyways, i took a pic of the dsm axle and the colt gt axle next to eachother and you can clearly see that the dsm axle is longer, and they both press into the same intermediate shaft, and the same knuckle...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:03 pm 

The axle that was in the car is a colt axle. I beleive it is a n/t axle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:29 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I still don't know how you guys run DSM axles. They are significantly longer than CSM turbo axles. Can anyone explain?

When you put gvr4/DSM front hubs on, it gives you like 1/4'' or 1/2'' wider stance on each side.. So a AWD dsm axle or even a FWD dsm axle fits with no issues. This makes finding axles 100000x easier.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
if you wnt to stick with stock dsm shafts, i know you have one turbo shaft, but if you want to use awd shafts then get your front A arms stretched 3/4 inch. that is what i did to mine, ss you get to use awd everything. and you get the same footing front and back.
just a idea for you
and if you can fab it is easy. i will send my pics
Please post pics
Quote:
Quote:

Please post pics
Quote:
Quote:

When you put gvr4/DSM front hubs on, it gives you like 1/4'' or 1/2'' wider stance on each side.. So a AWD dsm axle or even a FWD dsm axle fits with no issues. This makes finding axles 100000x easier.

You 100% sure of this?

With the GRM Colt- neither Matt or I remmeber what axles we put int he car LOL-but we did not need to notch anything to make it work. C53 with 5 lug hubs.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please post pics

I forgot about those pics.(was 3 years ago) But its going back up on jack stands.As I use it to jig off of for the crossmembers.
The DSM knuckles makes the track wider. The stock C53 axles come up alittle short.The tripod of the inner CV rides on the edge of the cup.
Back when I was FWD in 2002 and was breaking axles ,I got a dsm one by accident. I installed it and it pushed the tripod into the cup causing vibration.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:59 pm 

For Reference. measurement Info from RockAuto

Keep in mind that if you use DSM axles with DSM/Expo/Gvr4 knuckles you must use DSM or GVR4 Wheel seals
If you use CSM Turbo axles with DSM/Expo/GVR4 knuckles you must use seal #225082
If you use CSM Turbo axles with your CSM knuckles reuse your original wheel seals.
If you use DSM axles with your original CSM knuckles I have no clue......

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

That is one super awesome post moidsm1! Thank you very much for this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:26 pm 
CSM Expert

Nice to see they are still making them and available

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:38 pm 
Some call me a god

This needs to be carried over to 4g61/4g63 Tech as well in the axle thread. Great post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 pm 

Done

88 Cummins Suburban
69 Cutlass convertible
78 Arrow G54B Swap, Celeste makeover. (MOD 2016 Veteran)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:06 am 

Quote:
I just got around to reading this thread and I didnt see anything about Vista axles. They are just as easy to find and their waayy thicker. Less problematic to break. I havent seen one break yet.
Just to follow up on this - Vista\LRV axles are ~24" long, both sides. Definitely did not fit (I had some lying around). Shame too, because they were right, they are beefy