4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Does any body have a picture of what the did for the motor mounts on a hatchback AWD swap. I did a few searches, but found that not many people have actually done/doing this, just a lot of finger banging.

There was a write up online from some guy that worked at junk yard or something, but at the time I read it I was not considering a AWDswap.

I was going to bend a peice of 1.25 tubing to make a new front/rear cross member but it does not look like it will fit between the T-case and the sway bar/ rack area to get to the stock mounting point.
PTTcolt (I think that is his name on here) came up with the idea to make a plate on the firewall, but I am afrad the firewall might flex.
I also tossed the idea around about making a motor plate with tubes running from the frame rails across the car and having the motor plate meet those. Whatever I do will be done this weekend.

I know somebody is going to recamand the CD, but I don't have enough money to do this swap, let alone buying directions on how to do it. I am just looking for a idea, not directions.

Just to prove I am not a finger banger here is a picture of the ford 8.8 under the rear of my car, sorry camera phone. Please keep this picture on these forums as I don't want the world knowing about my swap (yet!).

87 Conquest TSi, Coilover, huge sways
01 Dodge 2500 4wd cummins (tow rig)
91 Suzuki Samurai (Rock Crawler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:19 am 
CSM Expert

The DVD will give you plenty of ideas :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:34 am 
Some call me a god

:o You ass hole I knew you were up to something..

Thanks for killing my dreams of having the fastest colt at the shoot out. :depress:

Let me know if you want some pictures of diff AWD swapps. I got a ton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:58 pm 
Some call me a god

It is cool to see that you are going to run a solid rear axle setup. Are they available with 3.545:1 gearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:06 pm 

Yeah, I have bee working on it for a about 2 months now.

Car is stripped. Roll cage and all suspension supports are in.

BTW> I hope other who are doing or are considering a AWD swap know that you need to renforce the chassis.

Engine and trans are sitting in the car (nothing new, just a bunch of junk).

Funds I have at the moment
100$ summit gift card
Mabye 300$ from a side job I hope to do saturday

Things I need:
Full clutch set-up (bearing/plate/friction/flywheel)
Fuel cells (need two)
Fuel lines and assorted hardware.

Things I want
rebuilt trans
rebuilt motor

Things I really want
DOG BOX!!!
Twin disc clutch!!!

So as you can see I don't at this point even have the money to finish the car, so don't get to exited about it getting done. I am just doing what I can with what I have.
Hence the reason I don't want the hype behind it just incase it is not done by summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 pm 

LOL as for the gears...Man that was funny.

Mitsu advertises there gears as 3.545 or whatever. Ford advertises there gears as 3.55. I thought that is close enough. Mixed 4.10 and 4.11 gears in trucks is very common.

So I get the ford rear end (thanks PTTcolt) and we pop it open. 39/11 tooth count, gear ratio 3.545......

The mitsu rear end has the same tooth count.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:11 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Fuel cells (need two)

Running some spray? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:12 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
LOL as for the gears...Man that was funny.

Mitsu advertises there gears as 3.545 or whatever. Ford advertises there gears as 3.55. I thought that is close enough. Mixed 4.10 and 4.11 gears in trucks is very common.

So I get the ford rear end (thanks PTTcolt) and we pop it open. 39/11 tooth count, gear ratio 3.545......

The mitsu rear end has the same tooth count.
Awesome 8) What are these rear ends out of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 pm 

Thunderbird turbo coupe. Even comes with a limited slip. The rear end is about 5/8 of a inch wider. It is not a big deal and looks good, but I was told I can put ranger or mustang axles into that rear and to get it a little narrower.

If I come into some cash I might consider doing that, but at the moment it will stay the way it is.
The bolt pattern will have to be redrilled from 4X108mm to 4X114.7MM. And I plan on making a hub adapter on the lathe over at PTTcolts shop.

Other things:
I was just reading the LILevo sitwe and I take it you ran a 2X2 channel from frame rail to frame rail and used that as a mount? Intersting..

I also stumbled across a post about AWD talon struts in the rear needing a aluminum spacer for the bottom bolt. If you take a propane tourch and head up the spacer in your colt rear strut it will melt the rubber and slide right out. This spacer slides right into the AWD spacer. I did tack weld mine in there to make sure it would not move around. Just a FYI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:10 pm 
CSM Expert

I never had a mount from frame rail to frame rail. I had a short piece of 2" box steel above each front subframe mounting point welded to the frame. Never had any issues with such a "small" mount. I reduced it further on this second AWD swap. I don't forsee any problems. The welds would be the weakest point and they are pretty strong as it is.

If something does happen to go wrong it's a simple mount to re-do or reinforce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I never had a mount from frame rail to frame rail. I had a short piece of 2" box steel above each front subframe mounting point welded to the frame. Never had any issues with such a "small" mount. I reduced it further on this second AWD swap. I don't forsee any problems. The welds would be the weakest point and they are pretty strong as it is.

If something does happen to go wrong it's a simple mount to re-do or reinforce

Can you post a picture of what you talking about? i cant picture it in my mind at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 am 

The hatch does not have a subframe aside from the small cross member that runs under the oil pan, but will not work with AWD as the T-case needs to be there.

After a lot of thought, I am going to remove the rack and bend a plate of 1/8 to fit the fire wall just behind it where it goes from one sheet thick to 3 sheets thick to support the steering.
I am then going to run a bracket off that plate and connect it to another bracket from the block. Where these two meet I will use two bolts threw the two brackets instead of one as I don't want it to try to pivot.

As for the front mount, becuase of the size of my turbo I am very limited on room. My plan it to basicly make a new one piece L shaped mount that runs down the front of the block and then to the front core support where the factory cross member bolts to.

I will start on this tomarow and try to have it finished by sunday night.
I just landed a t-belt side job on a 96 lexus SC400 so that will put a few hundred dollars more to the colt, but will take a few hours of my time away.

As for the dual tanks I am not going to run N2O I am planning on a race gas/ pump gas dual fuel system.
I live 40+ miles away from were we race and it costs me almost 60 dollars a weekend just getting there and back on race gas. So I needed something a little easier on the wallet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 am 

LILevo, I like what you did with that rear mount. Nice job.

As for the front I am not knocking you design in anyway, but why did you decide not to just extend the mount a few more inches forward and catch the factory mounting holes?

As for the tarns mount I just moticed when I set it in that it was hitting the trans...LOL Lookignat your pictures is like looking at my car...kinda funny.

I have not gottne mine settled in yet, but it looks like the 5th gear cover on the trans might hit the frame rail. Not sure yet as I have not got everything straightened out yet.

LOL I just went back and was looking at the pictures again..looks like you know about the 5th gear cover as it is not on the tranny if I am seeing that correctly. Nither is any of the shift ball/spring bolts either...You using a dummy tranny...NICE...you da man!!!!

Also looking a little closer..Looks like you took the rear mount bracket and turned it upside down...good mod. Starter clear OK?

I gotta say I am pretty impressed. If I had 50 dollars I would buy that CD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Yes If you turn the Rear mount up side down it does clear the starter. and the tcase..

As for the front. I took the same approach as lilevo did. Going from side to side. I thought about doing it like you mentioned. But i also thought that It might flex tooo much. I dont like flex. maybe i'll redesign the front today when i go into work today. i'll take pictures if i make it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:03 pm 
Some call me a god

Heres what I wanna know, how much is a 4 door Mirage with AWD gonna weigh? I would have to think close to 3000 lbs?? When that is all said and done, seems like you have an Ok swap with a stinky fuel cell, wobbly front mount, banged in frame rail and a car that would probably loose to a FWD one from a roll pretty bad?