4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: SILKY AWD CONVERSION (?)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:38 am 
CSM Junkie

OK. Since Charles let the word out, this is the REAL word. (Note the new monicker: I am now Bill Spruill, aka., "Silky." Anyway, I will post on progress. Right now I am waiting for a body guy to decide whether I need a"front clip" or frame pull. Later.
Oh, I've looked for some complete detail on this job, but there is a lot to go through. I would appreciate any links to instruction. :) :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

:( My car-frame puller didn't arrive to give me a verdict. Went to p&p. Found several Colts. :) One had a good front clip: 2 fenders (inside&out), grill & support, and hood. Also had lights and a good dash that I might get. So, I am good to go on part availability. My main guru said that he thought he could find the AWD parts. Looking good, but it is early. Reviewed Berzerko's thread on dash removal, and lil'Evo's bit on the AWD. Thanks, guys. I am still looking, so if any of you have some informative links, they will be appreciated.
I now have to figure out the front clip removal. I will practioce on mine before going back to p&p. Any advice on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:18 pm 
CSM Expert

Hood is easy four bolts on there then your good. (12 mm)

Fenders are easy too all the bolts along the hood line pull the front bumper cover (easier if you pull the front bumper cover/rebar as 1 peice) there are 2 or 3 theres 1 at the bottom at the back and there is 1 that you get to by opening the door and using a long extension (all 10 mm for fender 17mm for rebar) before you remove the rebore/cover unhook the turn signal wires.

Inner fenders are easy just a few 10mm bolts in there...

The res is welded in you;d need to drill the spot welds to get alot of it off. I think there is a place that sells brnad new rad supports on ebay but might want to think about going tube front end if your going to all the work of an AWD conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

:wink: :D GREAT. I knew I could count on the wild man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:39 pm 
Some call me a god

Did something bad happen to the car Bill? I assume so since you are looking for a chassis puller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:38 am 
Some call me a god

Here is what I managed to save from M & S Recycling (John), he is the guy that did the awd swap in a red colt. There is another guy on here that bought the car from him but I forgot his name.

Its in Microsoft Office Word or something like that from microsoft:
http://gallery.4g61t.org/v/colt200/awd_ ... n_wps.html

I think I have some other awd stuff on the external hard drive, I will look later for you.

I am always up for more info on it as I am in the middle of my swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:39 am 
The Silent Administrator

The file you linked to will not open properly. Word Perfect 11 file?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:05 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Did something bad happen to the car Bill? I assume so since you are looking for a chassis puller.
:-? :( You could say that. It was an autocross event. I had a good run that finished with a 90*L right after another 90*L. The line was to slow on the first, but swing out and long to come into the shoot. A normal apex would swing you wide on the second turn and into a devilishly placed cone, or a big slow down. I did it well, and smacked the gas hard. Car jumped to the finish, and then the throttle just went wild. I do not yet know why. The evidence says that I must have hit it, but I don't know how. Anyway, I was then trying to control this "runaway" car. I almost got it turned toward a safe area, but the traction broke on the turn, and I skidded into a 2006 Mustang. No injuries.
In after thought I know that I should have CUT THE IGNITION, but I didn't. MY BAD. So, ok, now what? I have a front clip from a "donor" at pick & pull. So, why not investigate this AWD thing. Go forward; don't look back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 am 
Some call me a god

Well at least you are here to tell us about it. Now get workin on that AWD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am 
Some call me a god

Well from the looks of it.. I'll also be starting my AWD conversion in the next few weeks. SO Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Hey Bill,
Capital Area DSM has moved it forums to DSMsource http://www.dsmsource.com/forums/ at the bottom the reasson I bring it up is your in our area and theres a guy selling a 4 bolt rear for $350 and a driveshaft for like $60 on the local for sale section. Just figured I would put that out there thats the cheapest 4 bolt I seen in some time. Good luck on the rebuild

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T
www.ongreenperformance.com
"Just like in the old days-More Horse Power means more crap to pick up-lol"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thanks. I'll get on it. I pulled most of the front off today. We hope to pull the engine this weekend. I have a "donor" at p&p. for the frontclip. The plan is to rent a big wheel cutter, and whack off the donor from back of the fenders through the door jams and across the floor pan. I am looking for an appropriate rear end for the AWD. Post if you hear of any. Silky Bill Well, I couldn't seem to locate that one. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "4bolt"? There is a 1gen TSI being partedin
Wheeling WVA. Has a rebuilt AWD tranny. What should I ask for on these AWD items? Thanks for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:41 pm 
CSM Expert

i think i found it for ya bill: http://www.dsmsource.com/classifieds/sh ... 95&cat=all

also, you should know better, it's in the vfaq here: http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/an ... a4boltrear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:12 am 
Some call me a god

Bill, at your power level, I would invest in a 4 bolt rear :wink:
If you can, pick up the rear subframe and driveshaft and whatever trans parts you need off of that awd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 am 
CSM Junkie

Thanks for help & advice. Yes, I want the 4 bolt. (I had it as a 2gen., but didn't know the difference.) I will contact him today. I didn't see the add brecase I was looking for a big headline. I didn't read the details.
Question: Should I go for the tranny also? Right now I have the Colt tranny from TRE (John Ripple). It is a little too much reduction. Would prefer a little taller in first and second. :-? EDIT. ADD. I contacted seller, I will send payment for the 4 bolt. He still has the tranny. SHOULD I GET IT,TOO? I am off to visit the car.