4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: awd transmission?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I just swapped in an awd transmision and I am having an issue I havent been able to find the answer to with searching. Actually I swapped it in at the shootout :). Moving right along the driver side axle slides in and out of the tranny. Im not sure if the snap ring that locks it in had fallen off the axle or if the tranny doesnt have a provision to hold that locking ring. Do I need the intermediate shaft setup off an awd or do I just need to pull the axle and replace the lock ring. I would just pull it out and check but my homeowners association loves to fruit and banana with me so I would like to have all the parts ready to repair it before I take it apart.
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:46 pm 

as far as I know on the awd tranny u have to use the intermediate shaft setup... funny u posted this today.. I was just wandering (dreaming about this last night) about putting a awd tranny in a fwd car... so it does work just without the t-case huh? .. also I just sold my spare shaft to 92summit but they shouldnt be to hard to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:16 pm 
CSM Expert

You probably need the intermediate shaft (equal length) setup. Personal experience has told me one-piece left axles do not like to stay in transaxles designed for equal-length assemblies.

-Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

Hope you made a provision for the diff? or you will be replacing the whole trans pretty soon.

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T
www.ongreenperformance.com
"Just like in the old days-More Horse Power means more crap to pick up-lol"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:10 am 

I had the viscous coupling welded. I dont like the gearing in this tranny at all, it is way too short for a fwd big turbo car. I just have to deal with it for a while till awd setup is in then it will all be worth it. Im going to try to locate the intermediate shaft setup. I guess the driver side axle is the same length as the driver side on a dsm then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:23 am 
Some call me a god

I remember reading in the drivetrain archives about axle lengths somewhere that the intermediate shaft are the same length. But the bracket that mounts to the engine block will use a different set of holes, this will put the axle on a bit of an angle probably will still work. They are the same length, dsms are bigger diameter than the c/s/m intermediate shaft. I think the axle itself is longer on the dsm - its either the axle or the knuckes that are longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 pm 

If you are going to run an awd tranny in FWD mode, I have a Slowboy VCE I can sell that makes if FWD for anyone needing one. My car had an awd tranny in it and I pulled the VCE out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:45 pm 
CSM Junkie

My roomate just made his AWD talon FWD, cause his rear diff blew out. That thing is stupid fast, and it spins like crazy when you get on it in 1-3rd. Even 4th spins sometimes. And yeah, he had already welded the center diff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:12 am 

I'm putting in an AWD tranny as well. I thought the the stock turbo mirage axles would work am I wrong because that would really suck :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:42 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I'm putting in an AWD tranny as well. I thought the the stock turbo mirage axles would work am I wrong because that would really suck :x
they will, but to get the ease of removeability with the transfer case in (if its awd) you need to pull that stamped metal ring off that goes near the seal.

p.s. stock csm turbo axles have an intermediate shaft much like the awd cars.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.