4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 pm 
Some call me a god

Just thought it would be a good idea. I bought a $300 TSI for parts, and I have been searching for hours not really finding a good (descriptive) source on how to do this. I know its alot of work, but this has been in my head since I bought the talon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

http://www.lilevo.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 pm 
Some call me a god

I already knew about his site, and I have read the one from M&S in California (which I think is 13 pages), in my mind its still not a very good explanation compared to the other swap info on this site. How many people have completed this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:57 pm 
CSM Junkie

2 or 3 maybe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:44 am 

IMO it's one of those things where you gather all the parts, get some measurements and just go to it. I highly doubt you'll find a writeup on swapping over to AWD that is step by step. I actually thought the pictures on the M&S site were pretty detailed. Since you have a donor car you have all the little misc brackets and tid-bits to get it done. Just get your car in the air and compare it to the DSM and you'll get an idea of what has to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Well the 1.6t tranny just went last night, no second, goes into third with force, in first and reverse sounds like chunks of metal are getting caught and ground in with the gears. Its just that much more of a reason to put the awd in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The people who convert their cars successfully and safely, are the ones that already know how to do it, even if it is their first time. To all that ask for a write-up, or a "kit" this has always been the answer. Their is alot involved in "properly" getting the assembly mated to the body such that it will last and provide reliable service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:27 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Well the 1.6t tranny just went last night, no second, goes into third with force, in first and reverse sounds like chunks of metal are getting caught and ground in with the gears. Its just that much more of a reason to put the awd in.

It's alot harder than you think alot of measuring and cutting and welding... I would Pm eric (89mirageturbo) he did the awd swap in a week it looked clean and everything was safe he sold it awhile ago to a guy in hawaii.....But he could explain it better than me....

Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:16 pm 
Some call me a god

The speed I work at on these cars, it will take most of the summer. Maybe into the winter. It took me 2 months to build my motor. Think I am going to do the awd. No traction sucks right now, and I cant image it with the rest of the stuff I want to get over the next year. Bigger turbo, alcohol injection, and some other goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:40 am 
Some call me a god

Getting all the parts lined up and ready to go seems to be the hard thing for me, but at the same time I'm not really looking for parts, just kinda letting them fall into my lap. The fabrication itself was not hard at all really. I converted the front of the car to accept an AWD trans/tcase in about 8hrs, and that was with the motor in the car, which makes for some interesting fitment issues when trying to coax and fabricate the rear motormount brace. The front brace = simple. Box tubing across the toehooks. I've yet to start fabrication on the rear because I'm still waiting on a few parts.