4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: LILEVO is totalled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:11 am 
CSM Expert

Well, the Mirage is pretty much totalled.

I decided with a friend to head out to a local circle 1/4mile track to participate in the spectator races. Street cars, $35, race what you drive in. There was 8 of us. Stupid crap mostly, a pick up truck, Quad4 Pontiac, Alero, etc. There was also a prepped Camaro SS with insanely wide tires. The driver of the camaro races regularly figure-8 at the said track as well.

So quite possibly, the best video I've ever made, leading to the death of lilevo. The final 20 feet before the finish line, racing the camaro in the last round I smashed into the wall. Coming out of the last corner just sent me straight towards the wall, turning the wheel, giving gas did nothing. The best I could hope for was to slow down the speed of my impact. Lack of a rear sway bar and a half attached front sway bar lead to zero oversteer and understeer into the wall.

The front right has severe frame rail damage. Front right control arm is mangled, wheel is pushed so far back into the fender we needed a 4WD truck to push the car up onto a trailer. The impact sent my custom front crossbar/front rubber/metal motor mount into the turbo which quickly snapped the, pardon my technical vocabulary idiocy at 3am, big aluminum plate the compressor wheel sits on. Transmission, axles, xfer case, all wheels and tires, intercooler and piping, including the TiAL (all survived) which WAS mounted underneath the passenger headlight which got completely obliterated. The right rear lower control arm/ball joint is mangled because the rear of the car took the second hit.

Pics and video
http://www.lilevo.com/smashed/

Don't think I'm going to make the shootout in a few days either. :evil:

Last edited by LILEVO on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:21 am 
CSM Junkie

holy crap! :o . one of the best cars on the board and its gone....thats sad. are you going to make the next one just like the one you had before? as always, 2nd time around is always better then the first. i can't wait to see what will be next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:25 am 
CSM Expert

its 330am and im going to make a f//cking alcoholic drink.

turbo is toast, as you can see in the pics. The whole front end is tweaked. Everything comes out, goes into LILEVO2. I'm refabbing the entire front end, perfectly, to be AWD ready so all I gotta do is the rear mounts after the rest of the car is done.

Bigger turbo, more boost, beautiful paint and something I've always regretted, I'm keeping A/C this time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:56 am 
CSM Expert

i feel like dying :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:03 am 
The Silent Administrator

Given that you put your heart and soul into, this being your first REAL car, you need something totally different to try this time around. Would you try another body style or are you set on the 4 door due to weight and storage reasons? Sucks about the crash but you survived; some people lose bits of their feet when they grenade engine bits at a good clip.

It could be worse, there is always a bright side, but I hate to hear about stuff like this. Remember that if you race it, it will test you and your car everytime.

Things could have been worse, someone could have stolen your ride, smashed it all up after pulling the drivetrain and you get the leftovers off a flatbed.

Post up what you are thinking of doing to your next ride, and let's debate this one with you.

Sincerely,

Tim Eagles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:09 am 
Some call me a god

That was really painfull to watch :cry: Be glad you were not hurt or anybody else. Seemed like after the turbo spooled, car understeered and sent you to the wall. The track was too small for the cars power. How fast was that last turn anyways?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:17 am 

Hey Jason,

What a shock. :cry:

I know what it's like to lose a great car. It happened to me years ago. Try to look at it this way: First of all, you made it out ok. Second, you've had more fun in this car than most people ever do with their cars. Third, you've got the knowledge and resources to build a new, meaner LILEVO version 2.0 when you get around to it.

Take care man,

-Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:20 am 

This sucks! I was hoping it was a gag or something but I see it's not. Oh well like some of the others said, at least you're not hurt. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Maybe it just wasn't meant for you to make it to the shootout this year. Who knows?

On a side note. I'm sure that you're not willing to travel all the way to NC to buy a car but I know where there is a 90 Mirage Sedan, it's silver with blue interior, cold AC and it's an auto. Rear main seal is leaking badly so it can't be driven far at all. Somewhere around 100k on it. The best part- it's $275

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:08 am 
CSM Junkie

I am glad to hear you made it out safely Jason! The situation sucks, but these cars are a dime a dozen. You have a sizeable pile of parts to ressurect into another shell, and the drive to make it happen. I'm confident the next one will be a monster!
I will keep my eyes peeled for another clean sedan locally. Also, let me know if you need any help with the custom fab end of things, I have a full machine shop at my disposal.

also....
Was this at Jefferson Speedway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49 am 

:( Sorry to hear LilEvo..but thank God you are okay.

92 Laser RS AWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 am 

Sorry about your loss man. I can't even imagine how you feel losing a car you put so much work into. lilevo was such an inspiration to all of us. Glad you made it out okay. Good luck with the next car. Keep us posted on what you plan to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:24 am 
CSM Junkie

:o

WOW, I wasnt expecting to see this post right bofre the seat exchange....

I do know of a 4-door 5-speed for sale on the web... I'll pos the address a little later today...

Regards

-Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:02 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sad to see LILEVO go, but I know it's successor will be something to really watch for.

Post subject: Re: LILEVO is totalled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:30 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
I need:

89-92 Mirage 4-door, preferably from the southern states, with ice cold A/C.
You sure you don't mean a Lancer? :P

Seriously though, I'm glad you are OK. You can fix cars, it is harder to fix people.

I'll take that tranny off your hands though ;)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:57 pm 
Some call me a god

Like the other boys say, at least you are okay. But if I were you, I would have cried for seriously like ten hours straight and then drank myself into oblivion. Just throwin some ideas out, maybe 2.4 with GT40r on an AWD hatch mirage/colt. Would be fast I think.