4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:33 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

hey guys what's up,

a buddy of mine has 4 wheel steering in his 240,

I was wondering what would happen if I removed the power steering feed to the rear wheels.. would the lack of power steering fluid elminate it or do I have to get behind there and tear out some more crap?

and if the power steering solution is enough to stop it from steering as much as it does now.. will the lack of the fluid cease it up over time? ie does the power steering fluid act as a lubricant?

reason I'm asking is that we put an sr20 in it last night and the existing power steering pump has 2 lines (front / rear) while the sr20 only had one line and the 2 line pump doesn't bolt up (not even remotely close), the amont of work that would be required to get the 2 line pump to work is not worth the effort. so I'm hoping I can just close off the rear power steering lines and forget about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:18 pm 
Nobody Important

Well, on the GVR4 the previous owner capped the feed lines to the rear and put a second tank back there.

After I got the car, one of the control lines popped so I just capped them off. At this point there was still fluid in the back but it just never got a signal to turn.

Driving at 75mph-ish down the road, one of the lines in the rear decided that it would give up the ghost and dumped all my fluid on rt 90. Of course when it did this my rear wheels turned as the fluid shot out. Scary shit.

I'm now just running around with no fluid at all in the back and no signal lines running there either. My friends GVR4 has been this way for many years with no ill effects that we know of. Granted neither of us ever intend to fix it. Car just seems more planted without the rear wheels messing up your lines :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:59 pm 

k so I'm ok if I just block off the lines and leave whatever fluid is in the system in the system..

thanks paul!

one more thing.. is there any way I can completely stop the rear from steering? ie just lock it in place? just off the top of my head I'm thinking weld the living shit out of it.. but there's probably a better way of doing it (that doesn't require getting a regular rear end!)

I haven't had a chance to really look at it so I don't really know how it works.. I'm assuming though taking out whatever mechanism that makes it steer will cause the wheels to be loose and go in any direction they please. there's gotta be something I can just pull out to make it stop heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:38 am 
Nobody Important

In mitsu land, the rear steering just flexes the bushings to turn the rear so when you disable it you just track normal.

The rear end in my GVR4 is the EXACT SAME as an AWD 1G DSM. I just have a PS rack bolted in place too. If you ever stuff your head under a 1G AWD you will see that the tabs are on the arms for the rack to bolt into. You could make a 4WS TSi/GSX if you wanted :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:35 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

most people in the 240 world just trade there hiccas setup for a non hiccas setup, some people actually want hiccas, also i found more 240's in a junk yard than hondas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:38 pm 
CSM Expert

Mitsu engineers are a really weird bunch of people regarding the way they design their stuff. They build things in a way you can bolt on other stuff from different cars to get the cooles or even dumbest things out of it. 8) Imagine a 4WS AWD Spyder GSX. :o
Did anybody ever attempt such a 4WS swap on a GSX and is it even worth it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:02 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

To park your spyder with the front wheels turned in and the backs out would be hot :flame:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:42 pm 

hey paul, at some point down the road, what would it take to get you to rip the rear PS rack outta your gvr4??? remember, this is just an idea, so dont go get all wrench happy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:51 am 

Quote:
most people in the 240 world just trade there hiccas setup for a non hiccas setup
only for doriftoooo.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:21 pm 

hey Paul.

could you elaborate a little bit more about what happened that caused your rear wheels to steer on their own? I don't quite understand what happened.. and I'd like to so it doesn't happen to me ;/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:13 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
hey Paul.

could you elaborate a little bit more about what happened that caused your rear wheels to steer on their own? I don't quite understand what happened.. and I'd like to so it doesn't happen to me ;/
If you ever look at a PS rack, you have the "crossover" lines. I'm not sure what to call them but they go from one side of the rack to the other. One of those popped and caused the rack to turn. (should never happen to a front rack being the steering input goes directly in) If this did happen on the front of your car, at worst it would feel like a pull to the left or right while the fluid drained out.

Imon: I would gladly rip it all out. I just have no motivation to do so right now. (Someday I will remove it)

-paul