4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: traction dilema
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:08 am 
Presently the Colt has rear stock 1g awd rear springs with kyb gr-2's all around. I love this shock for a dd as bump control and comfort is good. BUT, it is loosing traction as the rear squats and the drag radials hunt for traction. I'm in a quest for 11's and need to stiffen up the rear and also will be getting slicks soon.
So two questions:
1. Should I just go with a stiffer shock like an adj AGX? or will that be two stiff for the street(I'm over 50 now and like comfort although this is only a wknd warrior and track day :o ) What about rubber blocks placed between the springs?

2. Will 22x8x15 suffice or should I go a little taller?
The car has the Elantra final drive at 4.0 instead of the km210 at 4.3, so it can cross the traps in 4th @ nearly 8000 rpm with my present 205/50-15's which are 23.1' diameter. The 22" slicks are actually 22.4. I don't mind shifting to 4th and a shorter tire could help me get into boost earlier.

Any suggestions appreciated :D

Post subject: Re: traction dilema
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am 
Some call me a god

I can't speak for the diameter of the tires. To control the rear end squat you will need to move to stiffer rear springs, improving the shocks alone will not help. Even though your OE AWD DSM springs are made for a heavy car, they are very soft at a rate of around 150lb/in. Jegs and Summit sell springs made by QA1 that are very affordable and come in many various rates and lengths. My suggestion would be to select a spring rate based on your weight and calculate an appropriate length based on your shock length and weight.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am 
Some call me a god

for years i ran awd agx's with fwd kyb sportline springs.
frankly, it sucked. no matter what shock valving was set at, the car was twitchy and bouncy all the time.

i recently put a galant vr4 "stiff" kit ground control coilovers on with the current agx shocks.
i raised the car about 3/4 inch in back and almost and inch in front from original setup. it now drives like a sprots car, not a lowered shitbox. it is fairly comfortable and drives very well ( i am not 50, but am 30 with back problems, it no longer pains me to drive car)
and it also does not squat at the track any more

i suggest going to a 225/50r15 drag radial for front tires, or a 24/8/15 slick for the track. i hated how often i had to shift with the 22x8 slicks (this is even with a fwd dsm trans at a 3.9ish final drive) the 24 in slicks are awesome, i hooks harder out of the hole (it is easier to bog, but when it is right, 1.70 60 fts are common) and i can cross the 1/8 mile traps around 7600 rpm instead of 8200ish with the 22in slicks.
i believe m&h also makes a 23x8 slick as well.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:40 pm 
Some call me a god

What's your current setup (engine mods) and what times are you running now?

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 am 
Quote:
What's your current setup (engine mods) and what times are you running now?
Have a 4g63 with a 50 trim and running mid twelves @ mid teens.