4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Back to the track...
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:38 am 
1595 cc's of fury

Well a large group of DSM/CSM guys planned on making the Test-n-tune last night. Forcast was shitty to say the least as there was a light drizzle/mist on the track. Temps were in the 50's most of the night.

I think everyone came away feeling it was a success though. I'll let them post their results.

As for me, i made a few changes reguarding my safety inspection/tech. I move the battery back in the engine bay with a super tiny Odyssey PC545...weighs a whooping 12.2 lbs vs the honda battery I had at 29 lbs.
Other than having a roll-bar, everything else now breezed through tech down to 11.50's.

I bolted on the slicks and turned the boost down to 24 psi to try and keep it around 11.5-11.6. First pass I realized I was running to fast but let up to late and ran a 11.4 @ 126.x. The didn't say a thing, just wrote "roll-bar" on my time slip. Next pass I turned the boost down a little more to 22 psi. The track was real cold because there was a pause due to some light rain. I spun real bad so I stayed in it and ended up running a 11.1 @ 129.x :o . Now I was in trouble again. I went back to tech and they gave me a lot of grief and sent me to talk with the track manager. He was very gracious and asked me to try and keep it above 11.5 and below 130 or they would ban me and send me a fine. Not only that but I wouldn't be allowed to run at any other NHRA sanctioned track for the rest of the year. :axe:

I decided to just try and work on my 60' and 1/8 mile times and turned the boost back up to 26 psi. Again there was another rain delay and the track was slick. I blew the slicks off like crazy but managed a 7.5 @ 99 in the 1/8 and cruised after that to a 12.1x @ 103 mph. The next pass I nearly lost control due to tire spin in 3rd and finished with a 13.1 @ 124. The rain had pretty much passed and my next pass had me lined up with a 500 hp SRT-4 on slicks. I pulled my best 60' at 1.85 (same as my 10) and ran a 7.4 @ 100 in the 1/8th...I had bus lengths on the SRT-4 and I knew he ran 12's so I coasted with light braking after the 1000' and ran a 11.61 @ 110 mph...that was to close. I decided to put the street tires back on and watch for a while.

The sun poked out so I decided to give the street tires some abuse. I raced the old man and managed to get a 12.39 @ 129.x against him and finished the night with a 12.21 @ 129.x. Both with 2.3 60's.

Congratz to John and Davis for both running new personnal bests!

Sorry for the long post.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:21 am 
Some call me a god

Great job Bobby, still laying down very nice times and not even trying. What size are you slicks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:05 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Thanks, the slicks are M&H 23x7.5x15's. Last time out the track was a lot warmer and I had no issues with traction but slicks + damp conditions just don't mix. With the compact battery system in the can now and less gas, she now weighs in at 2095 w/driver...right of the track. I'm pretty sure now that even with a roll bar the car will still be able to get into the 10's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:44 pm 

What kind of wheels are you running the slicks on? Have you ran drag radials before with this setup? If so, what kind of times and 60' were you running.

Nice numbers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Man I had a blast!! The weather kind of sucked and the track didn't feel that great either. I was pretty bummed with my performance using the new slicks for the first four runs, 13.5 to 14.1 wtf dummy!! It was like going from no traction and peddling first, second and sometimes third to bogging badly off the line to crappy times.

Davis shut down for little bit and gave me some great advice, thanks man. So we changed some stuff around. My best time for the night was against the widow maker himself, 1.8x 60ft 12.68 111mph. Bobby had the street tires on and still beat the snot out of me, oh well I'm happy.

The best part was that nobody had any hard breaks. Maybe Paul will finish doing his hair and join us next week? Perhaps with a little more seat time and a tune I might see some low twelve's in my future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:56 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Quote:
What kind of wheels are you running the slicks on? Have you ran drag radials before with this setup? If so, what kind of times and 60' were you running.

Nice numbers!
15" Nissan 240sx rims.

The DR's are crappy Nitto 205/55-14 555's and they are my daily street tires. I've ran a best of 11.93 & 129.5 mph on them with 2.0x 60's (same day I ran a 10.9 on the slicks). Last night the track was slick as hell so I could only get a 2.30 as my best 60', I don't launch with anti-lag on them either, I use the soft limiter at 5,500.

Damn nice work John, she is definately a consistent mid 12 car, more seat time may push that down to the low 12's. Nice work! Another Colorado CSM into the 12's and probably the heaviest one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:16 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Davis shut down for little bit and gave me some great advice, thanks man. So we changed some stuff around. My best time for the night was against the widow maker himself, 1.8x 60ft 12.68 111mph. Bobby had the street tires on and still beat the snot out of me, oh well I'm happy.

The best part was that nobody had any hard breaks. Maybe Paul will finish doing his hair and join us next week? Perhaps with a little more seat time and a tune I might see some low twelve's in my future.

No problem john glad i could help you out and great driving btw and awsome times...As for me i took the talon up there we had just put a new tune on it at 32psi i decided i would lower the boost to 26 to 27psi to learn the car...My first 3 passes sucked missing gears like it was my first time driving...Then i finally made a decent pass but had a shitty 1.9 sixty foot but managed to crack off a 11.8 at 124mph...On my last pass got a 1.8 sixty and then the bbk snapped the shaft at the 1000' mark and ran 11.99 at 124mph was on my way to a faster pass...

Well i ordered a new throttle body should be here monday so i want go up weds next week and turn the boost back up to 32psi and see what she will do...I want to lose more wieght or find another csm to stuff this motor in...Congrads to bobby for making it look so easy to crack off repeated low 11's...John we need to get a tune on that car you have low 12's high 11's in that thing...

P.s.wishing of another csm....

Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 pm 

nice job John!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:31 am 

Awesome Davis!! So you'll need a cage soon, which makes three of you for sure. What kind of material, quantity and length will it take to do three cars?

Drove the to car work this morning, everything looks good. I turned down the boost at the track when you weren't looking :oops: AFR on the WB was sitting right at 11.0, boost was holding steady at 19psi. So you're right we may be able to get a tad bit more power with a tune :) However, the slicks look like shat, maybe went too low on the pressure. I'll have to get one of you smart guys to have a look see.

Paul, would you please hurry up! I'm getting friking old here :lol:

Last edited by Crusherbait on Fri May 16, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:40 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Quote:
Awesome Davis!! So you'll need a cage soon, which makes three of you for sure. What kind of material, quantity and length will it take to do three cars?

Drove the to car work this morning, everything looks good. I turned down the boost at the track when you weren't looking :oops: AFR on the WB was sitting right at 11.0, boost was holding steady at 19psi. So you're right we may be able to get a tad bit more power with a tune :) However, the slicks look like shat, maybe went too low on the pressure. I'll have to get one of you smart guys to have a look see.

Paul, would you please hurry up! I'm getting friking old here :lol:
You turned down the boost eh??? I bet after I came around you, you were regretting it LOL!!! Still damn nice work John, I've got a bit more turbo and a lot less weight so your car is pretty impressive from any stand point.

Pauls car has us all scratching our heads...He and Eric are so dog gone secretive, just laughing their evil laughs as the fabricate crazy builds to make us all jealous. At least I still have my looks. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:33 pm 
Some call me a god

I knew you did lol you ask if you should... Pauls car won't see the track this year sorry guys he works like he drives slow....Awd is nothing special anyways my car came stock with it.... :tongue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 pm 

Quote:
I knew you did lol you ask if you should... Pauls car won't see the track this year sorry guys he works like he drives slow....Awd is nothing special anyways my car came stock with it.... :tongue:
as long as the torque converter fits it will be running and maybe tunning tomorrow punk :finga: shoot for 350hp and 26 psi.