4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:07 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

This is something that confuses me, when I compare times from the guys on this forum, and what we run here in New Zealand, there are huge differences in ET's and Trap Speeds.

Don't get me wrong here, the USA is the birthplace of drag racing, I follow the NHRA religously on ESPN, and hold most american tuners in the highest regards, where does it go wrong?

I originally thought that it may have been elevation related, since most of New Zealand is near sea level, and many of you may have been suffering from starvation, but it doesn't account for the 1-2 second differences I see?

My only other thought is fuelling, our pump gas is roughly equivalent to the worst crap you could possibly buy over there, but we have access to true 100 octane aviation fuel on race day and when we're tuning - Do you guys have trouble sourcing decent gas when running down the 1/4? We also have limited supplies of C16, but at $6-8/litre it's not practical.

ie. Over here, pretty much anything fwd we slap a 4g63t into will run a low 13 easily, and by the end of the day the driver will be running high 12's on a 14b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:39 pm 
Some call me a god

I wish I had my timeslips with me. I ran this weekend at Maryland International Raceway. And my ET's suuucked !

Here's what's on the car.

Stock 4G63
2G MAF
660's
3in intake pipe
Garrett 46 trim T04E Turbo
HKS 40mm external waste
3 in turbo back.
Supra F/P
Adjustable FPR
Keydiver 660 chip
Stock 4G61T tranny with LDS installed
Yokohama ADVAN drag radials- 225 50/15
Stock "smushy" suspension
Race GAS running 20psi

Couple of issues here. :-?

For starters the stock suspension sucks @$$ !!! On hard acceleration, the @$$ end would drop, the front end would lift meaning I was losing MAJOR traction !!!! Everyone said it looked cool, but it sucked for ET's

secondly The stock tranny has major mileage on it :oops: so trying to shift into the next gear at 7k rpm was slim to none on most occasions. The 46trim T04E isn't huge, but it's large enough to fall out
of boost while I'm fishing for the next gear :)

Out of all 4 races I took 4 W's [wins :twisted: ]

Here's what I ran:

BMW M3. We pulled from the line @ the same time, It was my first run of the day so I babied the gear shifts. Stayed with him in 1st and second, and flat out WALKED AWAY FROM HIM in 3rd gear... He ran a 15.XX. :-? I ran a 13.80. :P

BMW 325I Same here, we got out the hole at the same time, I'm roasting tires through 1st, can't get her into second, the 325 pulls a car on me,
Get her in second, I take that car length back, miss 3rd :o he pulls a car and a half...... I get third gear, and walk past him like he's fekking parked !!! He runs a 17.xx, I run a crappy 14.XX @ 90 something MPH 8)

Acura Integra [stock] I roast 1st, 2nd, part of third, can't get it in 4th,
Finally get in 4th, wating for boost... waiting....waiting.... FEK it, slam it back in 3rd, pull fourth, walk away from him like I just slapped his mother
Even though it was a win I ran a shitty 14.XX @ 90 something

Modded Integra: Same here, I roast 1st and 2nd, but I'm pulling hard enough to stay with the TEG 8) . Grab 3rd and walk away from him.
Can't quite get fourth, but I'm too far ahead of him, so he can't make up the distance, I catch fourth, and pull off the win with a 14.XX @ 90 something :-? :-?

Jeez, It's REALLY time for a friggin TRANNY and suspension :wink:

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:34 pm 

Quote:
Over here, pretty much anything fwd we slap a 4g63t into will run a low 13 easily, and by the end of the day the driver will be running high 12's on a 14b.
I guess we're all a bunch of slow pokes over here. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:48 pm 

It could be a fuel issue. Even here, in croatia, you can't buy anything weaker than 95 octane. 98 octane is becoming a norm, and in austria, i saw regular gas-stations with 100 octane fuel.

For the record, the best Croatian 1/4mile time is around low 12s.. A guy with twin-engined AWD Suzuki Swift (2* 1.3 turbo).

Post subject: av gas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:43 pm 
CSM Junkie

is the av gas 100 low lead or unleaded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:38 pm 
CSM Expert

well it may also have something to do with our american culture. don't get me wrong, i'm as patriotic as they come and will tear the shyt outta anyone who smacktalks the us of a, but we tend to do things on the cheap here. now granted, that is the point of having a c/s/m is to have a quick car for as little money as possible, but almost every one of us has SOMETHING from a junkyard (i.e. my engine/tranny) though i don't know what you new zealanders are willing to pay for parts, or as to the quality of parts, i do know that in japan people focus more on the quality brand than worry about how expensive it is. i guess that could also contribute to our complete lack of really good, decent, quality parts from japan because we're not willing to spend the moola. as for me, i'm trying to take my time with my car, get every supporting mod before i even drop the engine in (i.e. dss coilovers w/ konis, chris's front brake upgrade, even some stuff to the engine i don't even have rebuilt yet). but that's just my .02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:32 am 
CSM Junkie

to enlightin you, here in murray utah USA near S.L.C we sit at around 4-6k above sea level.

now if i build a car that run's 12's here then go to say florida i will be close to if not in the 10's!
here's some of the reason why,
at sea level the air is thicker=need less to get power.
here at my house the air is thinner=need more to get power
there fore my 12 second car here is getting as much air as i can stuff into the block(sorry the proper word slipped my mind)where as in florida im sucking in MORE air on the same setup so i can get better e.t's ya dig?

1990 Chevrolet Corvette L98
1996 GMC Suburban 454
1999 Volvo S70 AWD L.P.T

Post subject: Re: av gas
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:31 am 

Quote:
is the av gas 100 low lead or unleaded?
Unleaded. I haven't seen leaded fuel since '94.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:35 am 
AKA colt48188

I think that everyone is missing the obvious... In the US we have many pollution regulations and devices that tend to choke the power out of our cars. I am not sure the situation in NZ but perhaps that could be part of the reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:17 am 
Some call me a god

I doubt emissions regulations are hurting your horsepower that much. Here you can run testpipe if you have a hook up on inspection so there goes that. I think the problem is traction, and driver ability. 4g61/63 makes a lot more torque than a turbo honda. When your 2nd gear is non existent, and 3rd gear pulls are just rolling burnouts then its gonna be tough running quick speeds. I think suspension and tire are huge factors with these cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:46 am 

I got your answer

1. GAS - we (CA) have really crappy gas both in its makeup and its low octane rating (which is RON+MON/2 btw) compared to other places.

2 Most us cars would have alot more miles on them. My 1.6 bottom end had 280000 miles on it.

I dont think the averege NZ car with the same milage,running the same crap gas at the same altitude (3k) would run 1-2 s faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:18 pm 

I think it just has to do with who you talk to, there are serval people on this board running decent times-but like anywhere youre going to get serval "posers"--people who like the idea of the car but dont really invest the serious interest in it to see it go fast, and your right a mirage w a 4g63 and a 14b is prally hitting the 13's, unless you cant drive or your motor is crap-despite traction issues like the 2.3-2.1 60ft times i put down-of course the gas issue and the elevation could be a factor-but i dont think it is here in TX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:24 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Heh, we have some of the worst gas and super low octane because we consume so much. Also most US cars are very high milage due to the amount and distances we drive. Our emissions are MUCH stricter and it does make a difference. Also most US drag strips are at higher elevations, here in denver the track is at an elevation of 5,800 ft. NHRA estimates power loss to be near 25% for most vehicles at this elevation.
I ran a 14.002 @ 101.43 on a stock 4g61t w/ 11B. The thing is there are a lot of extremely fast cars in the states and your only seeing a small percentage posting here.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:30 pm 

Quote:
ie. Over here, pretty much anything fwd we slap a 4g63t into will run a low 13 easily, and by the end of the day the driver will be running high 12's on a 14b.
I do run the mph to go solid 12's on a 14b. On street tires, I run mid 13's at 108-110mph. And that was when the car was over 100lbs heavier.

BTW, this on a 1.6L. So, :P

For the record, I agree. Any CSM with a 63t, a boost controller, exhaust, and a sidemount IC, and some traction should easily turn 13's. After all, that's a power:weight of 10lbs/hp, if the car is the stock weight.

Bill

'95 Eclipse GS-T (sold)
'95 Talon Tsi AWD (RIP)
'89 Mirage 4G15 (sold)
'89 Colt GT Turbo (sold)
'92 Galant VR-4 #753 of 1000 (sold)
'99 Eclipse Spyder GSX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:12 pm 

Its cause our cars are so damn fast that we all have no traction. :)

97 Jeep Wrangler