4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Another one saved
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:05 pm 
Some call me a god

I picked this up from a junior member here. He had the cylinder head off of it. Among other parts. The diagnosis was it was smoking really bad and he and his mechanic could not figure out why. The day after I brought it home I pulled the engine out. It appeared the stock 11b was going out as the turbine wheel and housing were covered in oil. Upon tear down of the engine I found two broken pistons. The middle ringlands had cracked. The crank appeared in pretty good shape and the whole car seemed all original. The only modifications I found were the boost controller and a fart can on the back of the car.

I promptly got some parts on order that I could not get in town. I rebuilt the throttle body, put new seals in the transmission, installed a new clutch master and slave cylinder for good measure. My friend and I then proceeded to do all the machine work in house for the engine. I replaced the valve stem seals, resurfaced the cylinder head, honed the cylinders, resurfaced the block and polished the crank. We did all of this in house at his dad's automation machine shop. It is much much nicer not having to pay for machine work.

I was only able to find N/A G4CR pistons in stock bore as stock replacement parts. So in went the 9.3:1 pistons. The rings were Hastings Rings. I then installed a new water pump, new timing belt tensioner, reused all the pulleys and installed all new seals on the front and rear of the motor. DNJ standard bearings were used for both the rod and main bearings. While everything was out I had the local axle place work some magic and freshen up the old worn out stockers.The 13g I bought ended up being a dud for the stock 11b replacement. So after a few hiccups with me damaging the original oil pump housing and the craigslist replacement having an almost 4 inch crack in it we took it for a drive to find the dead turbo. But it ran great. So I picked up another 13g and stabbed it in there this weekend.

There is still a small oil leak but with no real miles on it I took the car to the in-laws last night with my fiance. I replaced the fart can with a small piece of straight pipe. The car is still very quiet though as the rest of the stock exhaust and converter are still there. She absolutely loved the car. Or as much as you might expect after 12 years of me obsessing over these things. She was glad she could hear me and carry on a normal conversation. Her only complaint was no air conditioning. But this car never had it from the factory. But after yesterdays drive and a small one today so another member Jaysmirage could take it for a drive with a working turbo all is well. The car runs like a champ for being all stock. The 13g is as low as I can get it right now. But 75 miles on the new engine and it just runs like a champ. Super excited and I really hope I can start to settle down and keep this one around for a while. Even thinking about making a trip to Arkansas in it if I do not take the truck on a trailer when I go visit my family.

But here it is, another gem saved. Maybe the fifth one is a charm.

Post subject: Re: Another one saved
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:13 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Good save, car looks solid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 am 
The Silent Administrator

Very clean, wow!!!!
Lots O'TLC but well worth it I am sure.
Glad another one is kept safe!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 am 

Always happy to read stories where a dead Mitsu is brought back to life. It seems you know your stuff about using a turbo on an engine with na pistons. Thinking about eventually tossing a 13g or 14b on the Summit wagon with the 7 bolt 2.4. What would you do to control larger injectors? I have a few eprom ecu's for it. Would I be better off with a maf-t or super afc or what? Feel free to pm me if you'd like, didn't mean to clutter your build thread. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 am 
Some call me a god

My experience is based mostly around dsmlink and AEM. But, if those were my two choices I would run an AFC over the MAF-T any day. The translator is just so primitive. We did have a hard time on my Summit when it was on pump gas. Once the car made the jump to E85 it was much easier to work with. I am not sure what you have access to in your area, but the higher quality the fuel the better for the high compression stuff. It made a world of difference for us. We are talking 4-5 more psi and 8*+ more timing across the board. But if it is in the budget, your engine would be happiest with the control of something like Dsmlink. The more you can do for your engine, the happier it will be and the better it will respond.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:09 am 
Some call me a god

Is it possible to run the maft and afc simultaneously? Basically using the maft to get you in the ball park and then the afc to smooth out the rough edges?

2016 ram 1500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:13 am 
Some call me a god

It is. But i would only do it if you really want to run a gm maf. But it is possible. A wideband or a dyno is really what you would need to ensure you are heading in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

You are truly doing God's work.
Quote:
Is it possible to run the maft and afc simultaneously? Basically using the maft to get you in the ball park and then the afc to smooth out the rough edges?
I did this for a while to get my car running. It works, but is not ideal. I used a SAFC-II. Like you said, MAFT to get it in the ball park, then the AFC to fine tune it. I was also running a non-eprom turbo ECU, but in fifth gear I was experiencing cut out. With what it costs, I would rather run VPC than do it that way if you want to do it on the cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:13 pm 

Clean car! Nissan tear drops for the win!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:00 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

sweet was this for sale on Craigs?...i saw one on there in this color.Glad you saved it..So many people scrap the turbo models for no reason.

1989 PLYMOTH COLT GT 12v - SOLD
1994 DIAMANTE - SOLD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:37 am 
Some call me a god

I just wish I could find the correct center caps. It was on craigslist here in Denver. It was someone else's car in the picture though.