4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: set GeekLevel +1
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:38 pm 
CSM Expert

Haven't been on the forum much lately, like maybe twice in as many weeks. I've been playing with my first venture into Linux, Red Hat 9, which I installed on a previously unused computer.

So far, aside for some issues mostly of my own doing, the only unresolvable problems I'm having are with file sharing, and that's due to Windows being stupid. On a side note, how would I set folder access permissions in XP?

If there are any advice for THINGS I MUST NOT EVER DO in Linux, I'm willing to listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:53 pm 
CSM Expert

use care when your chmod -R or even rm -rf both nasty recusive commands that have screwed be on many tired mornings II got hasty with a recursive chmod on a Monday Morning about a month ago the rest of my day wasn't so hot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:53 am 

i dont know much about sharing, but the best thing to do would be to look into doing samba shares...

i think there is a way you can mount a samba share as a remote drive in windows...

and yes, be very careful about throwing around commands with recursives.. you may end up fubaring you system...

and on a side note, welcome to the linux box club.. im running Gentoo at home... to bad my hardware sux at the moment, cant take proper advantage of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:52 pm 
CSM Expert

I can mount a Windows drive in Linux, which is what I want, but when I set permissions to only allow access with a user/pass, it never accepts the one I send it. If I set any particular folder to open access, even just read-only, everything works OK.

To clear up the confused: I got PC MacLan to enable sharing between the roommate's Macs and my Windows machine. The only way I have found to set access permissions is through PC MacLan. It sets the normal Windows network access permissions at the same time, which is convenient, but I would like to be able to do it seperately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:25 pm 
CSM Expert

I always have problems with Samba and Windows shares what I always do is enable clear text passwords on the Windows sides its not secure but its all good...