All times are UTC-05:00

Should I get it?
Go for it! Buy It Now! 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
If you can get a better deal. 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Fizuck nizo! Am you crajy? 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 13
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:07 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

The owner of the service shop Mantaray Motorsport uses has a Suby for sale. He showed it to me when I dropped off my Colt for some work. Anyways, It's an '88 Subaru GL Wagon. It's an AWD 1.8L turbo 5-spd with 138k miles. He just threw in a new motor and is having the CV's rebuilt as we speak. It's in awsome shape with no exterior blems, and clean interior with no rips or falling apart seats. He's asking $2100 for it. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:02 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

sounds too good to be true, i mean (d)other ......did they even make an american 1.8 turbo over here???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:56 am 
Restricted Newbie

i thought they called them scuby's or it just the imperza's and WRX's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:14 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Scooby, Sooby, Suby... What's the diff? :D
Sounds like a cool piece of machinery. I'd say go for it! Then do an STI swap. :twisted:

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:52 am 

Yeah man for sure! I almost picked one of those up (non-turbo) but then I had my colt given too me. Very interesting lil cars with very odd but interesting engines. Not too many mechanics know even where to start. My bud has a 87 legacy wagon and we brought it to a couple mechanics shops and they turned it away because they didnt know where the hell to start. One guy had never even seen under the hood.

Hook that wagon up with some bass! Make your colt your race car and the suby quick but make it a SPL Battle Wagon! :twisted:

'89 Dodge Colt 100e with many toys of the 200gt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:29 am 

Those are crap. And for that price? Maybe if it was like $500.

And I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure an EJ20 isn't a drop-in. I think you've thinking of a Legacy or Impreza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:24 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Yeah, and EJ20 isn't a drop in. That motor wasn't even around. I'm going to do just custom parts and mild bolt ons. It'll be a rally beater and work car. As well as for going to the mountains in the winter. I'm going to borrow it next week and see if I like it. Luckily the guy is a Subaru tech and knows his shiznit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:23 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Well I just picked it up today to borrow it and see how I like it. So far I'm impressed. It's the GL with the "On Demand" 4WD. So it's FWD till you hit the 4WD button on the shift leaver. It would be nice to have the GL-10's locking center diff, but oh well. It does have limited slip rear and disc brakes all around. It's a blast to drive and feels as fast as a stock C/M turbo. I can't find how much power the 1.8L makes, but the 2170 lbs curb weight comes in handy there. Kinda dumb though considering the manual lists out the all the gear ratios and the 7.7:1 compression, but not power output. I do think it has potential and could add a top mount intercooler easily if you remove the spare tire.

Yeah, that's right. For those who don't know, the early suby's mounted the spare tire above the engine. There's plenty of space considering the low mounting point of the boxer H-4 motor. This tended to cause problems when you needed to use the spare because the heat from the motor dries out the tire. More often then not your spare also blew out leaving you with nothing. But being a wagon there's plenty of room elsewhere to have the spare and make room for a top mount.

So far there are only a few things I have to say that I don't like. One being the lack of a locking center diff. For my intended rally beatings it would be nice. I may just weld it. Second is the fact of the extra power features like power windows and locks. I never really like these options, and especially not on older cars. It's more to go wrong and harder to fix. Probably the only other thing is the interior lights don't seem to be working, or the dimmer is broken on low. Probably an easy fix. but we'll see. All in all I'm still liking it and already seeing what I can do to it if/when I get it.