4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: crazy story
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:37 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Okay It's no secret, that like a lot of members, I like to test all the modifications I do on my csm cars :D.

So I take my Mirage out into the mountains to test how it handles with a new set of oz rims, my test area is around 20 something miles of hills, and twisting hairpins in Mexico lol, I have gone out to them often, so I go out and decide I want to see just how good they are...anyway on my way back down the hill I see a light in the distance, not sure what it is, but I know well enough to take caution, so I drive slower, fast forward ahead, by the time I reach the light I see a guy and his girlfriend on the side of the road, I stop and ask if they need help, and :lol: boy did they...

Their story... as far as I recall it:
They were taking a corner at 60mph! in a rwd 40th anniversary mustang :o , and then a jack rabbit jumped into the middle of the road, they swerved hard to avoid it, and the car went through a barb wire fence, knocking the spoiler off, and fell down a 7 foot soft shoulder/ditch, and the car went into a cow field a good 200 feet or so on, and eventually the, drivers side front tire hit a rock and broke the beads contact to the rim [making the tire flat], they got out of the car and tried pushing it back, when out of nowhere some cows were charging at them, at which point they got back in the car and somehow managed to move it slowly back to where it flew down, and they got stuck on the shoulder of the road, but his girlfriend twisted her ankle trying to push the car out.

So enter me: I offered to help them out any way that I could, I lent them my jack and helped them change the front tire with a spare, and I tried to help them get up the hill again, via building momentum and trying to push it up the hill, many close calls, but eventually they called a tow truck for a quote, it was an insane a $$$ cost that I offered to give them a ride to a local truck stop, and then get a tie down strap, and then see if I could pull it out 50%50 chance it would work, we went back up to the there hills, hooked up the tie down strap, and my mirage had enough power to pull it out, don't ask me how I thought they'd need a larger truck to get it out, but it worked and they were free...theres more to the story but I don't want to give out specifics lol they thanked and offered to pay me back, but I declined it looked like they had a lot left to fix on the car, and it felt like the right thing to do.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: crazy story
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:33 am 
The Silent Administrator

Save of the day right there!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:20 pm 

yeah I suppose another brick for my house in heaven :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:18 am 
2nd Banana

A+ to you for being a Good Samaritan, a lot of people wouldn't have stopped. I wonder how true the jack rabbit story really is...

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 am 

Quote:
A+ to you for being a Good Samaritan, a lot of people wouldn't have stopped. I wonder how true the jack rabbit story really is...
I know no one would have shown up to help them out for another couple hours [if that] it's so bad no one takes this road if they can avoid it , and it was the weekend too.

I could believe that they actually hit a rabbit, because I also hit a rodent [further up the hills] that same night by accident :( , and yes I felt bad about it, but A: it ran into my tire Kamikaze style :twisted:, and B: one wrong move on my part to avoid it [especially further up the hill] and I would have ended up falling down and smashing into rocks! as opposed to cows and farmland :lol:, it really can be a dangerous back road at times...it's a good thing I had my electric steering running in the turns when I hit that poor rodent RIP, there is a road nearby, that I like [it's less long :) ], that is good for testing setups initially, and it's obviously less dangerous too, but I had to know how it would fair in a longer endurance run, and so far it's pretty good, so I have the green light to continue the mods, after I correct some small things but so far so good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:22 pm 
2nd Banana

I totaled my car hitting a deer, so you shouldn't feel bad about hitting a rodent. Swerving to avoid hitting something like that is dumb, you're better off just hitting the animal, unless it's a moose or something that may actually kill you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 pm 
The happy administrator

I know I'd rather clean some guts off than total my car.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:58 pm 
2nd Banana

The other thing to consider is say you swerve to avoid an animal, and then you end up losing control of your car and hitting a tree or a light post or ending up in a ditch... There's no way for you to prove that you swerved to avoid an animal, so it's just an at-fault accident, and your rates will go through the roof, and all that good stuff. If you actually hit the animal, and it's obvious that you hit an animal, it's considered an "act of god" and insurance does not raise your rates or anything, and everybody wins (except the animal)