4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi everyone,

I am looking for documents that prove that the Mitsubishi Colt/Mitsubishi Mirage /Dodge Colt/Plymouth Champ/Plymouth Colt has been manufactured with the 1600 cc engine.

I am doing an engine swap in an old 2door Colt (1982) and would need this document to proove to the inspection guys that this car has been manufactured with this engine so that they can use it as a reference engine...

In Europe I can not get this document because it was never sold with the 1600 cc engine here.. (I live in Finland)

In case there would also be some kind of a chart where the differences in i.e. braking system and suspension between the models are listed that would be awesome!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:40 pm 
The Silent Administrator

We all knew this sort of information but it is hard to find documented cases of it. Service manuals would prove it, but any parts manual would be hard to track. Someone supplying piston sets for really old motors may have parts listings that would also prove the car came with the "1.6L" in turbo form. All I have found is showing 1.4L turbo motors for Japan and Europe (The Automobile Catalog 1945-2015 http://www.automobile-catalog.com/model ... _1gen.html). Wiki says a 1.6L which we definitely saw in later models .... 1986+?

Here is what Wiki say about your model:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Colt

"For 1982 a five-door hatchback joined the lineup. The names of the equipment levels changed to "E" and "DL". At some point claimed power dropped to 64 and 72 hp respectively for the small and large engines, while the 1.6 was only available with the automatic transmission. In August 1983, for the 1984 model year (which was to be the last year of this model of Colt), the GTS Turbo model arrived along with a naturally aspirated GTS package.[7] Unique for North America - the turbocharged Colt/Mirages sold elsewhere had a 1.4-litre engine - this used the fuel-injected 1.6-litre 4G32T engine also seen in the next-generation Colt, providing 102 hp (76 kW) at 5500 rpm and considerable performance. It, too, featured the eight speed Twin Stick transmission and also received ventilated brakes in front.[3][8] Both GTS models, available with three-door bodywork only, received a larger 13.2 US gal (50 L) gas tank rather than the E and DL's 10.6 US gal (40 L) tank.[9] They also featured a sporty appearance with uprated suspension, blacked out trim details, and a sizable front air dam.[7]"

OR

This very useful catalog:

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/model ... _1gen.html

I am only finding 1.4l turbo motors available for the A150 model according to that site. "Colt 1st-gen. Turbo (1982-1984)" European model is equal to this from what they said. All models list for European market, but with a 1.4L turbo motor.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:53 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I think that although your car may have a 1.6L motor (with proper proof by piston identification or some sort of block ID decoding (not just the head sitting on it, if possible it can be swapped between the 1.4 and 1.6L motors), you would have to prove this. If you cannot prove it, you can tell them it is a 1.4L motor and turbo, just like it was delivered to europe. I can relate to what you have to go through for car regulations, because we have similar hurdles, just not quite as severe (brake proportion and application pressure testing, etc).

*edit Just noticed you "will" be installing this engine. What you need is a repair manual from the US then. 1.6L was probably the only engine choice.
I cannot see any other parts of the car being different but I've seen cases where this is the case. The gentleman that wrote the "Lancer Project" pages here on the net and who happens to be rather local to me, pointed out that shock absorbers from Australia and likely NZ got wider chromed tubes, and a slightly stouter design as a result, same size package and same fitment but more likely to be capable on really bad roads. You might have the same shocks between Japan/European turbo models verus the US turbo models, or all cars got the same shocks/struts across the range. This is where microfiche (the old parts reference programs) would come in handy, or old parts catalogues that you can sometimes find on the internet (Ebay), for sale, from time to time. This can get you a feel for the part numbers that were available in a specific region ... but you would have to find the numbers in another region and hope they show a part number that is indeed different ... not just a different number because it had to be for some internal reasoning .... does that make sense? If sales catalogues or old videos elude to "upgraded shocks" in the turbo model, that would be great; the 1989 (USDM turbo models) got Dual mode shocks, but I doubt this meant they had a different function from the base shocks unless they just have the "new style" valving that all higher models cars were getting outfitted with. The unicorns were models with electronic stiffness control from the dash (ECS). You don't have to worry about that ... I'm just telling stories now.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Ebay 1982 Service manual with supplement:
Click

Ebay 1982 Listing 1.4L and 1.6L turbo models in the description, but it would be nice to see a pic with those words on the page. Never hurts to ask the seller
Click

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:04 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Here is your rebuild catalogue:

Click for JAUCE.COM auction

More literature for you.

Click

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thank you very much Flying Eagle for all that information and the useful links!

What I forgot to mention... is that I am about to try to fit a 2000 cc engine in the car.. But the inspectors need a proof that it has been manufactured with a 1600 cc engine so that they can start their calculations from that. A certain percentage of increase in volume and power is allowed... and then the 1600 cc engine would be a better engine to start calculating the volume from... 8)

I have bought quite a lot of literature that I have found so perhaps they will soon start to believe me :lol:

Still some kind of "original" workshop manual from Mitsubishi on the 1600 cc wouldn´t hurt..

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

AMAZING!!!

You are off to a good start.

Happy to see this work out for you.

Keep us posted as things move along.

This side of the world gets bored quite easily, because there are fewer restrictions on what you can and can't do to cars.