$400-$500 24%  24%  [ 4 ]
$500-$700 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
$700 + 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Bah, brakes are overrated. 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 17
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:06 am 
Quote:
Look at the 93 Vista knuckle before you start fabbing stuff it may be the answer....
I haven't given up on that yet. But I'll still need to piece together a bigger brake system for trake use. The vista brakes won't be up for the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:41 am 
CSM Expert

Why not? you could put on any galant "big brake" kits onto it or use the VR4 2 piston calipers and 275 mm front disks or your could talk to Chris Burns if you use those knuckles with 275mm discs he had gotten a shop to make a caliper bracket for the Wilwood 4 piston calipers. Like I said try the knuckle and unlock the mystery :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:10 am 
Who makes a galant big brake kit?

Are there any performance pads for the kit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:32 am 
CSM Junkie

here you go jason, something that i have been reading about, and might help with what you asked. :wink:
http://www.galantvr4.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... 887#000003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:09 am 
you have to be registered to view that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:00 am 
CSM Expert

Basicially it says Baer has a 12/13" brake kit for the Galant VR4 big discs and looks like 4 pot calipers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:35 pm 
Nobody Important

brakes
LSD
CF hood

So many toys, so little money!

And of course I've said it before and I'll say it again... gotta get the car WORKING first... stupid turbo housing. At least I'll spool faster than a mofo now. (hehe can you imagine if you could get full boost at idle)

Post subject: good brakes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:40 am 
Restricted Newbie

Ok, as you might expect, I have an opinion on this. First, anyone who is expecting a good brake kit under 500 is kidding everyone. Just for a quick comparison, lets look at the Eclipse brakes. Take into account that all the parts are available off the shelf with perfect fitment, and the quantities are far in excess of the colt with regards to demand. So, that being said, rebuilt 2 piston iron calipers will run you 100 each plus a core, new caliper brackets are 50 or 60 each from Mitsu, stock oem rotors are 50 each, Misc hardware is around 20. Notice I left out pads....If you are putting big brakes on to look cool, pads will only run you 30, if you are racing, they will run you 150, if you do want to stop, but it isnt a race car, you'll pay somewhere in between. Total price with decent pads (80) is 500 without core charges or hub/spindle changes. Remember my point above about quantity and availability....

As Berserko mentioned, I have adapters that were made to mount 4 piston calipers on an Eclipse and run the stock oem rotor. This setup will fit under a 15" wheel, and will put you through the windshield when stomping on the pedal. With this setup you run off the shelf pads (available from Wilwood, Porterfield and Hawk), wilwood calipers and any oem rotors. As for custom, you just need my brackets, and SST brake lines (you dont need them, but if you are putting something like this on, why skimp on lines??). This whole setup will go on the car for $545 not counting lines (to make it a fair comparison with the above that also did not include lines) I dont know for sure what is required to fit this setup on a colt? This setup would bolt onto a Galant that had the two piston brakes so someone more familiar with colt's might want to chime in and answer that part of the question?

JMauld....Maybe you want to investigate what it takes to put the Galant VR-4 brakes on a colt, then people could use the stock 2 piston setup or run a 4 piston Wilwood setup, and both would bolt on? Just a thought.

Remember...Big doesnt always mean good
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:40 am 
Some call me a god

I can ask the guy i know what it took to get his GVR4 brakes on his colt.
Maybe he has his old stuff left over that i can buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:43 am 
CSM Junkie

what i used, was just the whole knuckle and hub from the galant, and camber bolts, since this setup throws everything off.. not hard, its just that the hole thing is a mess, since you have to rotate the tie-rod. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:18 pm 
CSM Expert

Has anyone tried the '88-'92 Vista hub/knuckle yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:06 pm 
yes, same issues as the galant.