4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Pods And Interior Work
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ok ill post this here since i want to talk to you guys that are the most serious of the club ;) ..

I Want to start playing with fiberglass and/or Polyurethane this winter in order to make pods and some interior trims. I lost my contact in my old job since my friend moved(it was a plastic shop). So i need to know what is the best place to buy polyurethane, resine, fiberglass, gel coat, carbone fiber kevlar....etc

I want to make some full pilar pods, something for my pocketlogger another for an safc. i want to do molds also so i can do more than one and maybe sell them. If you guys have any idea, pictures, tricks and advise i would be very happy to hear from you. Ill try to get in touch with a guy i saw with a tripple guage cluster bezel(it was amazing, the whole bezel with three gauges inclede in the upper part).

Weel i want to do great job and something clean so all advaices will be considered.

Merci
olivier

Post subject: sorry, long...
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I've had something like this on my mind for a while as well. I'm not big on A-pillar pods (not very stealthy), & things placed in front of where the gauge cluster is would be IMO obtrussive.

my mother has a 96 Montero SR (full size), & the location of the three gauge pods is good(but not the boxy akward pods themselves). just like when I had my 3000GT, I really liked the three OEM pods in the middle of the dash. best thing about these were that they angled towards, & slightly sweapt around the driver. there was even a company (Blitz I think) that made an extra two pods to add on to the other three while maintaining the same angle, & sweep.

you know that our dashes have an akward step. from the windshield it takes a step down where the clock face is. it comes out again, & takes another step where it meets the center air vents. from the middle, outwards, to the left it slopes up to meet the level of the gauge cluster trim, & to the right it slopes down toward the passenger side dash vent.

well, the point I'm getting at is that if you can imagine there being no 1st step (for like where the clock is), & making something to fill the void that maintains the initial slope from the gauge cluster trim. since this would be a prototype, make it our of anything thats moldable, sandable, & pliable. (wood, plastics, some metals), one great thing is Epoxy Putty, it molds like clay, sets like steel. could be sanded, drilled, cut. they sell it in the plumbing section at home depot for like $6.

this "something" (oval like board looking trim) can then be cut & angled for whatever you want. out of this oval board platform you can make additional angled trim pieces (possibly molded from A-pillar pods) that go around boost, EGT, Gauges & the SAFC too. these trim pieces can be glued by you, or the buyer with special stuff sold here:
http://www.crestnetsales.com/plasticrepair.htm

best thing, I think this design has is its user friendlyness. if it were possible to make the board to snap on & off easy. it would make it that much more easier to access the gauges (or what have you) & mess with them from behind. it would also mean that the face of the motherboard would look more clean flush. not to mention the hole left by the removed clock would be an easy access way to run any wires, vacume, or probes lines.

for some people that say it is not a good idea to put any of these instruments in the center because it is akward & impractical to see while driving. to some extent, I agree. theres plenty of things I mess with & glance at while driving thats located in the center. (i.e. rear view mirror, vents, climate controls, Radio) the only time I'd say that all eyes should be on the road, (with minor split second glances at your main cluster) using your perripherial mostly would be during a race where you're gonna be agressively driving, & more than likely not be monitoring all your gauges & messing with your AFC. IMHO you'll monitor these devices most during test & tuning, & its then when you can best put the info provided to imrove your cars performance.

just my $0.02

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

your "top dash panel" is a pretty good idea. I ve started shopping for some material that would be usefull to make molds such as resin, fiber release agent, and gel coat. I found some really interresting little shop selling that kind of stuff around here. But your product at home depot seems very interresting, ill go and get somme (since we have home depot over here now!! :) )

IMO the desing i would see for my dash would be the "infront of the clock bezel" containing the SAFC.

The radio would be moved in the glove compartement.
the old radio location would be filled by the avcr and the pocket logger

the cluster bezel (speedo and tach) would be modified to incorporated the egt a/f and boost gauge in the upper part. Almost like the new matrix or the pontiac car. ill try to make a drawing so you understand better.

this is what ill start working on in the next few months.

what do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

I glued two pieces of 2" ABS pipe on top of the steering column cover, filled in the gaps with spray insulation (foam), sanded it smoothish, laid some fibreglass over it, sanded it again, kept sanding until smooth and then painted it with satin interior trim paint. It looks quite nice, two 2" gauges right in front of me :). It blocks the gas gauge a bit, and now I cannot tell when I am going 240kph (oh no :o, what will I do?) but it is still nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:36 am 
CSM Junkie

send us some pics, i want to see this.

sounds cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
send us some pics, i want to see this.

sounds cool.
Will do! I am going to remake it, using a different method, but this one does well for now. Just don't look too closely at the prototype :oops: :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:56 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ever do anymore one this? I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to get rid of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:16 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Ever do anymore one this? I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to get rid of
Actually, I grabbed a new column cover yesterday at the junkers and am going to be starting construction on the new one very soon. This time I will have some pics too, promise :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:37 pm 
Some call me a god

it would be nice to have most of the gauges and other tuning toys on the top of the center dash.

I have no patience for this kinda stuff, its nice to see some guys are willing to share their designs with the rest of us.

All i have are the three gauges(egt/af/boost) mounted in autometer gauge cups just to the right side of the factory gauge cluster>

see the link below(only has the af and boost) I dont have pics of the new egt.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/297 ... 2396QcfCMJ