4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Some call me a god

YUP, amsoil is good stuff, I use it in the trannies of two of my three cars. It is the supposedly the best thing since Redline.

Ive noticed smoother shifting in both trannies since converting to AMS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:29 am 

right now i'm using shell, but after the props mobil1 is getting I will switch to that in my next oil change. I also get the ticking and the idle problem with the shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:51 pm 
Some call me a god

Have you considered redline oil? Its quite expensive but apparently its one of the best performance oils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:55 pm 

i actually live in the caribbean, so i doubt that we get redline oil here. we do have mobil1 for sure.....it will be alot of hassle to import oil personally especially through customs.so I guess it will be mobil one for now,at least until i travel to the US.thanks for the suggestions though,i will keep my eyes open for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:56 pm 

i have a honda prelude vtec, and my 85 mirage turbo. i bought the lude new, and after 1500 miles, changed to valvoline durablend (mix), and 3 changes later to synpower (their full sythetic) i change the filter with the oil every time (mobil 1 filters)
the car runs great and only burns oil when i ride the vtec alot and continuously, even when i was running n2o on it. after 3k miles it always changes color to the amber of regular oil.
i changed to amsoil (their top grade series 2000) for 2 changes and noticed 2 things-- 1. i burned more oil with heavy vtec use (1 pint for a 200 mile trip that was constantly above 5k rpms for valvoline to 1 quart on the same trip with amsoil) 2. when i changed the oil -- still every 3k miles, it looked just as dirty as the valvolene always did (i know, unscientific) plus, the bottle being an odd shape, didn't like to stay closed and wouldn't fit in with my spare tire jack, where i would typically keep some extra oil. their damn bottles won't seal after being opened, and so i had to rubber band a plastic bag around the neck to carry some oil with me!
going by the price difference 4.50/qt for valvoline, 10/qt for amsoil valvoline won, hands down.
i use valvoline max life in the mirage, for the coulple of oil changes i've done, as i don't feel like having $35 oil changes (and i change it myself!) on that car. it works great, and doesn't burn too much oil.
and that vette gaining 8 whp from a oil change, that's not a good example-- 1. they shouldn't have changed anything else-- that coolant additive could be responsible for the gain. (not likely, but a proper experiment limits variables)
2. power should have been compared vs. a fresh oil change, not some skanky oil that's been in the car for a few months. ideally, 2 vettes should have been dynoed with oil in similar condition, one changed to purple, one to the factory reccomended mobil1 compare the gains in power. then, use the dyno to put some miles at high rpm and load on both cars, dyno again to see if any power was lost. finally, change the oil in both cars but change brands to see if the power gain is similar in each car (ie is 2nd oil change power= to 1st oil change power).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:08 am 

dang i wish i could use light weigh oil in my Colt :(
i have to use castrol 40w coz i it got 287,000 miles on the original 4g15

oh yeah....should i build a boosted 4g63....or a n/a 4g63?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:19 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

WAL-MART brand (super tech) 10W30 for me, because its cheaper than water. It does the job just fine, and makes everything slippery like its suppoused to :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:33 pm 
Quote:
oh yeah....should i build a boosted 4g63....or a n/a 4g63?
Determine how much power you want to make, then build the one that will get you there.

A N/A built 4g63 "should" be good for 200hp. It's gonna cost you though. A standard 4g63 turbo is good for 350hp(minimum) with not much cost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 8:21 am 
4g61t Delinquent

hear that.......the boost is calling me ...no wait thats another honda going down the street :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:20 am 
:( I'd personally like to see someone seriously build a 4g63 or 4g64 into a N/A race engine. I bet you can get some decent power out of it. It's hard to justify it though, with turbo power being so cheap. If I only had infinite storage for cars I would consider building one.

I do have a block that I could potentially use...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:30 pm 

Quote:
If I only had infinite storage for cars I would consider building one.
That's a great quote! :lol: I just said something like that about swapping a 4G63 into a miata. Heck, I've already got the correct bellhousing that mates a 4G63 to a mazda RX7 tranny!

Post subject: Torco MPZ...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:35 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I went through 7 transmissions! :-? with regular lube and then tried Torco full synthetic in trannie and got 3full seasons of racing with no probs!!! (car was 90swiftgti). I highly recommend all full synthetics in trannies but caution on engine use...when I went to synthetic in motor and all of a sudden I couldn't stop the expensive and slippery stuff from squeezing it's way out of every seal and orrifice on the engine :x !
I now run mobil1 and change every 3000k or 6months and have had almost no galling on the cylinders! I love this stuff!!! (t-belt broke tho :oops: ) so had a look inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:27 pm 
CSM Junkie

whay about a mobil1 5w30 supersyn?? i gotta chance my oil ASAP and i got two cases in the garage... just waiting to get used...

1990 Chevrolet Corvette L98
1996 GMC Suburban 454
1999 Volvo S70 AWD L.P.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:08 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

from what i heard at holeshot..mobil 1 on a 2G will actually contribute to crank walk. They were using it on 2G DSMs, and everyone of them that they changed the oil with that with crankwalked..for the record. For some reason it just doesnt lubricate. Ive been using valvoline for a while now, but im getting tired of it. I think i'll just stick with the cheap stuff. Castrol seems to make some good oil too.

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:47 am 

I don't use oil in my car. You're supposed to put oil in your car?