and what aout the brand??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
CSM Expert

There is only 1 brand Mobil 1 :)

Post subject:
CSM Junkie

from what the dsm guys are saying youre right berserko!
mobil 1 8) so ill go with that!

Post subject:
CSM Expert

Mobil 1 all the way. I'm using regular Mobil drive clean now for my re-break in and I have ZERO lifter tick. I used to always get lifter tick with synthetic.. Hmm, might have to stick with plain old Mobil for a little longer.

Post subject:

I used mobil one for years in my turbo buicks but got sick of the expence.I would change it the minute it showed signs of getting dirty.I now use off the shelf cheap pep boys oil,Havoline I believe,which is top notch oil,but change every thousand miles.Turbos heat the oil which we all know,but it still gets dirty,to each his own.These mitsu motors are much more durable then the Buick v6, so it should be more than adequete.If I could afford it though I would run mobile 1 and and change it when it started looking dirty.Jim :D

Post subject:
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Well, for me I use Castrol Syntec Blend 5W-30. I don't like running a full synthetic because of the lifter noise due to the thin fluid. I've always liked Castrol mainly because of their involvment in racing. My favorite teams mostly use Castrol. The other teams I like use Q8 and Elf, but I don't think you can buy that stuff over here. Just don't ever get Pennzoil. That shit is made to break cars.

Post subject: oil

I've used Mobil 1 for years in all my cars. It costs more but you get maximum engine protection and more horsepower. Castrol synthetic seems to be OK but I don't have as much experience with it. Castrol Syntec is a good option to save some money, as is the Mobil blend. I sometimes use these to top up close to an oil change.
I recently saw an episode of Horsepower TV where they changed all the lubricants (engine, trans, diff) with Royal Purple. Their Camaro LT1 showed a gain of 8hp on the chassis dyno. They also used Purple Ice, a coolant additive that allows a 10 deg. F cooler operating temp. I've been meaning to check it out.

Post subject: Re: oil

[quote="galen57":3py9rbga]I recently saw an episode of Horsepower TV where they changed all the lubricants (engine, trans, diff) with Royal Purple. Their Camaro LT1 showed a gain of 8hp on the chassis dyno. They also used Purple Ice, a coolant additive that allows a 10 deg. F cooler operating temp. I've been meaning to check it out.[/quote:3py9rbga]

I'm currently using Mobil 1 and have used Royal Purple in the past. I think Royal Purple is right up there w/Mobil 1.

Post subject:

I use plain ol' NAPA 10w-30. It [b:1euhkonp]IS[/b:1euhkonp] Valvoline oil. Change it every 3000 miles with a Mitsu oil filter, though I'll prolly start using the NAPA Gold filter as well (made by WIX).

Stuff comes out at 3000 lookin just fine; much, MUCH cleaner than oil every 3000 in my '71 Dodge 318 V8.

Zyzzyx

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ive always used vavoline in my old car (only cuse the shop was sponsored by it so i got it for free) but i think i'll check out mobil 1....but since im starting to make $ again...i think ima switch over to Redline Oils for everything in my car...meanin the tranny and the oil pan....even tho that stuff is like $7 a quart.....

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject: This is what I use..

I use bulk 5w-30 imperial oil from the oil pumper at work...Ha Ha cuz it's free!!! And free is good... I change oil and filter every 3000 kms or so. The oil comes out clean, every time. You can see through it.

The thing about oil is that you have the base oil. Synthetic or Mineral.
Then you have the additive package. Things like friction modifiers, anti-foaming agents, cleaning solvents etc.

Not all oils have the same amount of each, but no matter what kind of oil you use, whether it breaks down due to the heat or not. It gets full of the byproducts of combustion. Also water from condensation, and that's what makes it black. It's carbon. Like burnt toast baby.

So use whatever you want as long as you change it OFTEN.
$10.00 a bottle super syntecho mobie 2 won't do a shit of good if it's half diluted with gas and crap cuz you decided "It's synthetic, it can last longer"

Just my thoughts... 8)

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I too use Castrol 20w-50w Semi-synthetic.I noticed that mobil 1 burns oil on No B shaft cars.The semi takes longer to get to that burning sensation

Post subject:
Some call me a god

I was a non believer in the synthetic , but have since 2000 been using Mobil 1 on two of my cars. The maxima had a ticking noise, VTC cam solenoids are a BIG problem with these cars due to small oil gallies, which sometimes get clogged due to insufficient oil changes, and will usually ruin the timing cam gears(all Nissan v6 are chain driven)
About 1000km into the first mobil1 oil change, the clicking went away, the oil change was dirty, after that, i have seen the oil come out like clean oil everytime, every 5K kms.
The 4g61t gets the Mobil 1 as well, i notice much smoother idle, and it comes out pretty clean.

My rule of thumb is , it the car doesnt leak or burn oil, go synthetic, otherwise use the mineral stuff.
And, like the other guy said, as long as you change the oil OFTEN.

Redline isnt all that anymore, since AMS oil has improved their product, and at the same price, may as well go with AMS. I use it in the Maxima tranny, and will go AMS with the colt as soon as the clutch goes in. Much smoother shifting after having gone with synthetic tranny fluid.

Post subject:
Some call me a god

if mobil 1 is good enough for 10,000+ miles in a mercedes benz cl600(130+k sticker price) then its good enough for a colt at 5,000(give or take dependent of summer time or not) oil changes, just use a mobile 1 filter or a superior filter to fram
like drcolt said, if it doesn't leak or burn...fill it with synthetic
and go with the closest viscosity numbers eg. 30
not 10w30.. keep the oil as thick as possible when hot
it keeps lifter tick to a minimum

Post subject: .
CSM Expert

This guy recommends Amsoil:

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/

Look up the project where he uses a turbocharger and what he has to say about the oil he uses.

BTW - Right now Im using Mobil 1 but I might give this stuff a try one day.