4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Plans for next year?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:43 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Just curious, 'coz I just attended my last autocross of the season today. What are everyone's car plans for next year? I'll start.

This year I ran the Mirage in the Ontario regional autocross series and it didn't fare that well, although I was woefully under-prepped for the class I was in (I had stock suspention and Azenis when everyone else had upgraded suspention and R-compounds). Then, late in the season, I took it to the rough stuff and ran my first two rallycrosses ever and did extremely well, taking one first-in-class and one third. I like to think my driving abilities were a large part of that but I'm only mediocre on tarmac.

Then I found the Corolla.

Sinking money into the Mirage for the impossible goal of making a good autocross AND rally car doesn't make much sense when you've got a lightweight, RWD platform with a Cosworth engine staring you in the face. So, for next year, I've decided the Mirage will be a dedicated rally car. Stripped out, harsh, and noisy (well, it already is), with not-too-stiff springs and struts that have a fair amount of travel to preserve traction in gravel and snow. Possibly I'll go with adjustable coilovers. Under the hood will be either a rebuilt 4G15 or a 4G63 nonturbo if I find one cheap. As for the body, I plan on fixing some minor issues that have been bugging me (mainly front end panel fit and some stone chips that have started rusting) but considering the abuse it will see next year that is of minor importance. A quick ratio steering rack, skid plates, a good driving seat, and possibly even a CARS-legal roll cage and harnesses would be a much better investment. I'll be sticking to rallycross and TSD for now, but if I move up to performance rally I think the Mirage would be a great car for Production or Group 2.

For the Corolla, I'm going to campaign it as my autocross car next year. It will be low and stiff, with big sway bars, 14x7 wheels and sticky rubber. (For the Canadians on here, I'll be running it in DSS. SCCA has no equivalent.) It will probably also take over daily driver duties in the summer. Engine and drivetrain will remain mostly stock but if I can source an OEM limited slip diff for cheap I will pick one up. My main concern is body rigidity so I'll be fixing up the various rust spots. Time and money permitting, I would like to seam-weld the car, install a four-point roll bar, and maybe even remove the sunroof. Appearance wise I'll be doing some bodywork to get rid of the surface rust and hopefully a new paint job (in the factory two-tone pattern), and I'll be refreshing the worn and tattered, twenty year old interior.

And what of that Summit that's been lying around since May? It needs nothing but a little time and effort on my part. Maybe I'll fix it up and sell it to finance the other two.

Well, lets hear from everyone else? What are YOUR plans?

- J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:56 am 
Some call me a god

I'd like to continue down the smaller sized upgrades route I have been going since I got the car...I will be upgrading/replacing my suspension with GR-2's. Then, I will try to complete my project of putting my 4g37 parts into the 4g15, but if I could find SOMEBODY with a 4g37 throttlebody w/ sensors, it would all go smoother. After that, I want an upgraded exhaust. With that all said and done, I will be hundreds poorer, and winter will probably be over by then. With the coming of summer, it's new 12's and amp, and new wheels and tires. :) I've just been informed that I'm getting something like $10k for my birthday (Whew.) So that will go into a painting of the driverside fender and bumper back to red. :twisted:

94 Talon TSi AWD Auto - Sold
90 Laser RS FWD 4G63T - Hit and totalled

Summer - 2000 Pontiac Fireturkey Trans Am LS1 A4
Winter - 2006 Honda CRV K24 5MT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:44 am 
CSM Junkie

I plan on finally getting the 63t shoved into my baby. GR-2's and whiteline springs all around. and hopefully a new paintjob. That's pretty much all i could ask for next year :-)

I heard they ride mooses to work instead of driving cars. (About Canadians.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:23 am 
CSM Expert

i'm with sutiban, all i want is my 4g63t into my colt by the shootout (easier said than done with my schedule...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:27 am 
CSM Expert

My goals is to finish the project car. I just got my motor mounts back from getting resized got to get all the engine side mounts bolted on and getting the intake manifold on. Then the engine goes in Hopefully that happens before Xmas then I have to worry about getting the tranny and torque convertor built probably getting it done at IPT. Other than that the fuel system is practiaclly done suspension is done body is done brakes are practiaclly done I've sourced all the parts for the drive train just gotta do alot of assembly I hope to have the car done for the opening of the Season (Mid May)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:16 pm 
CSM Junkie

Auto Trans
5000 Stall
100 Shot
Fresh Built Motor
Taller Slicks
Skinnys
T4 Set up
Finish some wiring issues
Address some safety issues, new belts, more tubing going to a 7 sec certed cage.
Lose some weight—me not the car.
-Run a min of 14 race schedule

96 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T
www.ongreenperformance.com
"Just like in the old days-More Horse Power means more crap to pick up-lol"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:53 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I just plan on getting both my cars running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:55 pm 
CSM Expert

lol, aiming high i see ---^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:19 pm 
Some call me a god

20G
External Wastegate
Sheetmetal Intake Manifold - Have it
Evo3 Manifold - Have it
660's - Have them.
SAFC II w/ 2G Mas or VPC
FMIC w/ 2.5'' pipes
MSD DIS-2 - have it.
HKS 272's - in process of getting.
Apexi' AVCR
Custom alcohol injection

For the winter i'm putting the colt away because i have a few other more important things to take care of. I have all my parts sourced and set aside for me. I have to put the colt away because i owe my bro alot of money, technically the colt is his untill i pay him off, once thats done i'll be strapping on the 20G.
Hopefully make around 430WHP.

Luckily i already have an LSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:57 am 
CSM Expert

With some luck I'll have time to dedicate to the wagon this winter. Getting that done involves...

Valve seals
9b/11b hybrid turbo
Re-doing the oil pan (tried to meld G32B and 4G37 AWD pans - didn't work so well) and inherently the turbo oil return line
Fuel delivery, custom line with filter from firewall to injector mixer
Mount and plumb IC
New radiator
Full exhaust
Figure out why clutch doesn't disengage
Full brake job (upgrade?) on front

I think I'm going to have to learn some fabrication skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:22 am 
Some call me a god

FPcam2 camshafts
ARP Headstuds w/ Cosmetic headgasket
1990 Eprom ECU w/ custom chip
Better BOV
Hoosier Street Slick, maybe a quicktime pro
Konis in the rear
Take out some weight
Should be good for 28psi on Cam 2 and a high 11s pass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:34 am 

well for now until I can afford a beefed up longblock to handle my turbo, its gonna be

14b
Precision 750 FMIC
Weld racelites
slicks
1g awd front suspension and koni yellows out back
550cc injectors
n2o

08 Evo X