4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

How did you learn about turbo mirages and colts?
Was beaten by one 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Was beaten by one several times 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Had a friend who enlightened you 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Was given one. <--- you b4stard 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
Just happened to notice one day 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
You were that nerdy kid in highschool that everyone made fun of because you had a 4g15 mirage/colt, and jenny jones doesn't have "look at me now" for your kind 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 27
 Post subject: Your initiation
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:06 pm 

Basically I am wondering how everyone found out about these wonder cars.

I personally was schooled, several times in a row, by Ian in his infamous Colt.

I thought I was tough stuff. 17, and cruising the sreets in my AWD talon. I was overconfident, thought no one would ever touch me. I had heard rumors of a "friggin colt with an eclipse motor!" But I was tough stuff. I had no worries. Well eventually, I found him. it was a midsummer night in a warehouse district, ten to twelve cars there, and the colt lurked in the shadows. I beat several cars that night, when these kids walk up and ask if I want a shot at the Colt. " Is that the turbo one?" yeah they said. All I remeber after that was thinking,"well you don't have to launch that hard, he's only FWD." he left me right off the line and never looked back.

I put all of the options I could think of in the poll, but if you have another please post it.

Last edited by iwantastarion2 on Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:13 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I bought a newer one(1995), and was searching for information about it, when I acidently found this site. That's when I learned about them, and had to find one.

1g ECU, Injectors, Exhaust manifold, 16g evo III Turbo, SMIC, and C Exhaust cam -9*
K&N Air filter, airbox cut up, MSD plug wires, NGKs, Apexi S-AFC II, MAF translator, tubular o2 housing w/ dump tube, Full 3" mandral.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:40 pm 
Some call me a god

I had several 4g15s and two years ago my brother and I wanted to know if there were any stroker kits available for them. Stumbled upon this website and Tom Clark's website while doing research on the 4g15. Been facinated ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:00 pm 
AKA colt48188

I purchased a brand new 84 turbo off the lot at a local dealership here in Cincinnati. I could afford either one of those or an 84 charger with a non-turbo'ed 1.6 liter. Once I drove both it was a no brainer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:06 pm 
CSM Expert

I actually had a G15B '87 C10 in high school. When I got to college, I learned about the turbo C10 variant.

Had one, wrecked it several times. :cry:

But the guy I bought it off of, Dave Diller, had a C50 turbo. One ride in it was all it took for me to want one bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:09 pm 
Some call me a god

I always liked sleepers [Renault R5].

I saw a vid of Nate Pharr ripping it in his Tin Can, and I was hooked

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject: Of all the places...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:28 pm 

My Girlfriendhad a crappy old 82 colt (manual transaxle rocks tho), and I wondered if they ever made any fast ones. I looked through a used car guide and found that for one year they made a DOHC turbo version with 135hp. It said "not recommended-engine very suspect and expensive to repair". So I was hooked. Took me about a year, but I found someone in 1993 or 1994 (never can remember) who had one for sale, and $4K later, I had a 4G61T colt with 40K miles on it. Best car I've ever owned...and BTW, until I screwed around with it, the engine was NOT SUSPECT, never got any maintenence other than oil/filter and timing belt.

Member #533
1989 Colt GT (4G63 and a Lil 16G)Silver, 89Sonata tranny
1974 Fiat 124 Spider (Piece of S*it but I love it)
1995 Windstar (Wife's Child-bearer)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:40 pm 

i have had to fist one i got was in 96 my father was the one who turned me on to the car butt in 99 i wreaked it so i was on the hunt for one and five years later i got another one for 900 so i guess lucky me !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:29 pm 
Nobody Important

I was looking for an autocross car and I got it from one of my local autocross friends. Thusly it already had the konis/K&N and just about every trick you can do but still be stock.

After I while, I wondered what I could do with it so I started googling around and I found here.

Then I just lusted after the 4g63t swap for the longest time until someone had a really good deal on a GVR4 motor so I jumped on that. Then I slowly got the parts for the whole swap and come winter I swapped everything in.

BOOOOOOOOOST!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

the first time i heard of one, i was working at a dodge dealership on the lube rack in highschool, and one came in to get an oil change when i drove it in i nearly got whiplash cause i thought it was a "regular colt"
so i punched it and lit em up ..... hooked! tok me awhile to find one tho..
10+ years actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:22 pm 

Bought my '92 C50 new off the lot. Shipped it to Cali when the Navy sent me there, then shipped it back to Hawaii when the Navy sent me back there.

Found out about this site via the old DSMHawaii site, originally bought my current daily to pull the motor for a swap........still trying to finish the Colt. :wink:

-Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:56 pm 

i was with my dad when he bought the 89 Colt turbo off the lot in 1990. i remember because he was looking at the plymouth lasers and i told him to get that car because it looked cool. the dealer showed him the Colt which he had tucked away in the back (last one). i remember being disappointed because he didnt buy the "cool" car. Never understood why, until he taught me how to drive when I was 15. Yep... i learned to drive on a turbo car. But of course he wouldnt give it to me... instead i got an old base model 87 colt sedan, then i graduated to 89 civic lx. my dad drove the crap outta the Colt, got into an accident, and sat in my driveway for 4 years. we got many messages from people trying to buy it but my dad always said no. So my dad, who was driving the 87 colt, crashed that and needed a car. he told me to give him back the 89 civic and that he would get me a new ride. but i told him to gimme the colt instead. so now its mine and he's loving that its back on the road again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:15 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I had heard about them before and had seen a C10 racing at the streets of SD that was whooping on turbo Civics. I got mine while working for Mitsu. A little old couple traded in their '89 Colt Turbo with 38k miles on the clock for a new Lancer. I demanded to have that car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:23 am 

I was looking for a small car with some better gas mileage. I was driving my '71 Dodge station wagon (318 V8, 3spd auto, 2 tons of steel) almost 100 miles/day. That hurt, getting at most 15mpg.

Started looking at local papers. Was thinking of something like a mid 90' Civic hatchback, or an older Accord hatch. Basically something small, but still fun. My dad was looking in Autotrader.com for me as well. Then my mom actually spotted it first. (I am, and was, living on my own)

Looked interesting. Called the guy selling it, he owned a shop in the Bay area. He had bought the car from a customer when the timing belt went. He fixed that and it had been his wife's car to putz around. She wanted a 3G Eclipse, so it was getting sold. I'd had a friend who had a 1G turbo, and had ridden in that before. I also knew Mike, of Diamond Star Specialties. I don't think I talked to Mike about it until after I bought the car. He jumped with glee, and then I knew that I had something special.

My dad picked me up in Ventura, we drove to San Jose, bought the car, and I drove back home the same day. Been having fun with it ever since.

The engine is a bit old, and low compression numbers, and I'm sure I've got some boost leaks, but its still fun. Even after riding in and driving friends' cars with more power.

I'm hoping for a 4G63T swap someday, or just buy one already swapped, as I could see myself driving this car for quite awhile. One of the few other cars I'd contemplate if I could do it would be the new Lancer EVO. Either way it'll be tough to give up my constant 30mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:43 am 
4g61t Delinquent

my parents bought my 1989 C52A in 1992 from San Bernadino Mitsubishi coz my mom thought it was a cute car....then gave it to my sister, sister got a neon, and then i got my lisence and gave me the Colt. I remember when i was around 15 or 16 i saw a red colt parked next to us at Kragen auto parts and it said DOHC TURBO...well after i had my lisence for about 2 months i started browsing to see if thier was something i could do to hot rod it and found out that in 89 only the turbo was available...from then it was on.....then i found one like 5 blocks away from me for 300...:-D and bought it....and it sits in my drive way with its busted driverside window down :(