4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: lsd or awd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:26 am 

does anyone have any cheaper any sugestions to limited slip diffs to buy a good one it seems is like a grand or more from what i have found out is the only other option (awd) i have everything for that but ive had 4 awd cars and none had a good tranny so whats the best route ?

Post subject: Re: lsd or awd
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
does anyone have any cheaper any sugestions to limited slip diffs to buy a good one it seems is like a grand or more from what i have found out is the only other option (awd) i have everything for that but ive had 4 awd cars and none had a good tranny so whats the best route ?
You can buy an LSD insert, sort of tricks your stock diff into acting like an LSD. It's not ideal, but people have used them with pretty great results. I've heard it puts a lot of stress on the diff the way that it works, and you're at a lot greater risk of blowing the diff up using one, but you could probably buy 10 stock diffs for the cost of one Quaife LSD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:29 pm 
How can you compare 2wd to awd? I've got a slowboy lsd insert(made in Canada-yeah) and with over 300 whp it still sucks trying to get any traction, even with both front wheels spinning equally. :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:55 pm 

Quote:
How can you compare 2wd to awd? I've got a slowboy lsd insert(made in Canada-yeah) and with over 300 whp it still sucks trying to get any traction, even with both front wheels spinning equally. :(
i have everything to do the awd swap i have mint 89 colt with zero rust i am leaning towards the awd swap but wanted everybodys opinion on the best way to go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:16 pm 

Do the awd swap, but this time actually get a good tranny! :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 pm 

Quote:
Do the awd swap, but this time actually get a good tranny! :)
i would like to rebuild my tranny but does anyone know were i can buy a good rebuild kit and all the necesity parts like steel shift forks ect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:35 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i would like to rebuild my tranny but does anyone know were i can buy a good rebuild kit and all the necesity parts like steel shift forks ect
The steel shift forks are OEM Mitsu from an EVO III, and all other rebuild parts can be purchased through Mitsu, but it is extremely expensive. Certain shops like Jack's transmissions, TRE, and Shep will sell individual rebuild parts, but they also charge a ton of money for it because they'd rather have you send them your tranny so they can build it up for you instead of you building it yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
The steel shift forks are OEM Mitsu from an EVO III, and all other rebuild parts can be purchased through Mitsu, but it is extremely expensive. Certain shops like Jack's transmissions, TRE, and Shep will sell individual rebuild parts, but they also charge a ton of money for it because they'd rather have you send them your tranny so they can build it up for you instead of you building it yourself.
so would i be better off to go get an evo 3 tranny ?or send mine to shep ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:08 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
so would i be better off to go get an evo 3 tranny ?or send mine to shep ?
You can't use an EVO III tranny because they have the wrong final-drive ratio and won't work with a US rear-end, you'll burn up your viscous coupling. Send your tranny to a professional to have it rebuilt, it's the sort of thing you only want to do once.